Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dome on the Rock... is this the abomination that desolates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome on the Rock... is this the abomination that desolates?

Here's something I was considering recently. Daniel describes an "abomination" that is set up where the Jewish Temple should be, an abomination that desolates.

Why do we think of this as some future event, when there is already a potential abomination built on Temple Mount?

Apparently it has this verse inscribed on its wall.

"O you People of the Book, overstep not bounds in your religion, and of God speak only the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, is only an apostle of God, and his Word which he conveyed unto Mary, and a Spirit proceeding from him. Believe therefore in God and his apostles, and say not Three. It will be better for you. God is only one God. Far be it from His transcendent majesty that he should have a son."

That would be blasphemy, wouldn't it?

So... how would this effect our timelines and so on? I used to think that the final abomination was some future thing, but what if we've been sitting looking at it all these years, and not even realised?

Thoughts please!
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

The abomination of desolation is mentioned in Mt.24:15 and once it is spotted
    all Christians are to flee Judea. It is a local occurrence, not world wide event.
    It would happen and everyone is to respond when it does. I believe the
    prophecy is referring to the Roman army entering Judea to destroy Jerusalem
    which occured 68-70 AD. It was written to save the Christians from being lost
    in the fall of Jerusalem.

The Arabs have owned Palestine ever since 70 AD. The Muslims have had it
    since they came into existence 600 AD. The Jews controlled Palestine for 1400 yrs. BC
    The Muslims have had it for 1400 yrs. AD Its a piece of property that today
    has no spiritual bearing. God's kingdom is one that is spiritual.

RJ

Comment

Originally posted by RJ Mac View Post
      The abomination of desolation is mentioned in Mt.24:15 and once it is spotted
      all Christians are to flee Judea. It is a local occurrence, not world wide event.
      It would happen and everyone is to respond when it does. I believe the
      prophecy is referring to the Roman army entering Judea to destroy Jerusalem
      which occured 68-70 AD. It was written to save the Christians from being lost
      in the fall of Jerusalem.

The Arabs have owned Palestine ever since 70 AD. The Muslims have had it
      since they came into existence 600 AD. The Jews controlled Palestine for 1400 yrs. BC
      The Muslims have had it for 1400 yrs. AD Its a piece of property that today
      has no spiritual bearing. God's kingdom is one that is spiritual.

RJ
      I agree. We can compare scripture with scripture to see that the abomination of desolation was to be a local event in Jerusalem and that it occurred when the prophecy regarding the timing of the destruction of the temple was fulfilled, which was around 70 AD.

The similarities of these passages are rather obvious:

Matt 24
      15When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand) 16Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

Mark 13
      14But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

Luke 21
      20And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
      21Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

The Luke 21 passage is more specific than the Matthew 24 and Mark 13 passages because it was addressed to Gentiles who had no previous knowledge of the teaching regarding the abomination of desolation.

The problem with the futurist view of the Olivet Discourse is that the view acts as if the question regarding when the temple that was standing at that time would be destroyed was not answered. But it was.

But the preterist view of the Olivet Discourse has problems, too, as we know that Jesus has not yet returned and the end of the age has not yet come.

We have to recognize that Jesus answered two different questions regarding two different events, one that was local to Jerusalem and one that was global in scale. Even if the disciples thought that His coming and the end of the age would occur when the temple was destroyed it doesn't mean that was an accurate understanding. Jesus answered based on what He knew was the truth and not based on whatever the disciples may have been assuming regarding the timing of the destruction of the temple relative to the timing of His coming and the end of the age.

Comment

15When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand) 16Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

Mark 13
        14But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

Luke 21
        20And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
        21Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

But the a of d is described as an it, not a they, In Mark 13:14. It also says 'standing'. I can see where in Luke 21 someone could understand it meant the invasion. However, many times in scripture similar sayings were used. Just because they both say 'flee to the mountains' doesn't mean they are the same thing. I have considered daughter's theory myself, and it does seem to make sense.

Comment

Mark 13:14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, let (him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judea flee to the mountains:
          Mark 13:15 And let him that is on the housetop not go down into the house, neither enter therein, to take any thing out of his house:
          Mark 13:16 And let him that is in the field not turn back again for to take up his garment.
          Mark 13:17 But woe to them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
          Mark 13:18 And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter.
          Mark 13:19 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.
          Mark 13:20 And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.

Was the affliction of AD70, such as was not from the beginning of the creation, nor at any time after?

Was those days cut short, for the sake of those in Christ?

Why would God bring about their prophesised destruction, and then cut short those days, for their sake?

Comment

I believe the Dome of the Rock is AN abomination. Not THE abomination that makes desolate.

Biblical prophecy is past , present and future.

Jesus is the Spirit of Prophecy. Is, was and is to come,the things we have seen, the things which are and the things to come.

Ecclesiastes 3:15 That which is has been already, and that which will be has already been, for God seeks what has past by.

There is a truth in the ways we seem to view prophecy and I believe when put together they form a better understanding of the scriptures.

So prophecy has been fulfilled, prophecy is being fulfilled and prophecy will be fulfilled.

Yes you are looking at a fulfillment of prophecy but I believe there will be a future fulfillment that will leave no question.

Comment

The problem with the Dome-of-the-Rock=Abomination-of-Desolation theory is this: Jesus said that as soon as the Abomination was seen in the "Holy Place", everyone was to run at once. Yet the Dome was not built until centuries after the 70 AD Diaspora. In fact, when the Dome was built, the population in the area was primarily Islamic. So when, precisely, was the command to run supposed to be obeyed?

Sounds to me like we're still waiting on it.
              ----------------------------------------------
              When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Originally posted by daughter
                Here's something I was considering recently. Daniel describes an "abomination" that is set up where the Jewish Temple should be, an abomination that desolates.

Why do we think of this as some future event, when there is already a potential abomination built on Temple Mount?
                This is a very good point Daughter.

But I would go further. ANYTHING that is built on that site following the final sacrifice is the abomination.
                1. The blasphemous day of atonement sacrifices from AD 33 till AD 70 was the 'abomination'.
                2. The construction of the dome in AD 687 was the 'abomination'.
                3. The planned new temple by modern Zionists Jews is the 'abomination'.
                4. Support to build a temple from deceived fundamentalist Christians is the 'abomination'.

ANYTHING that is built on that site following the final sacrifice is the abomination!
                "Your name and renown
                is the desire of our hearts."
                (Isaiah 26:8)

Comment

Originally posted by daughter View Post

"O you People of the Book, overstep not bounds in your religion, and of God speak only the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, is only an apostle of God, and his Word which he conveyed unto Mary, and a Spirit proceeding from him. Believe therefore in God and his apostles, and say not Three. It will be better for you. God is only one God. Far be it from His transcendent majesty that he should have a son."

So... how would this effect our timelines and so on? I used to think that the final abomination was some future thing, but what if we've been sitting looking at it all these years, and not even realised?

Thoughts please!
                  When Jesus was talking about the abomination of desolation, he said in matthew 24:21 :

For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
                  If the dome of the rock is the AOD, then the great tribulation is a very long tribulation (over 1300 years). I'm not ruling it out based on that. Just saying that means the great tribulation Jesus was talking about is a very long one.

Comment

Originally posted by Partaker of Christ View Post

Was the affliction of AD70, such as was not from the beginning of the creation, nor at any time after?

Was those days cut short, for the sake of those in Christ?
                    The answer to both questions are cleary no.

Not only that. Mathew 24:29 and 30 says:
                    Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
                    And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
                    When Jesus says "those days" he is cleary speaking of the tribulation that occurs at the time of the abomination of desolation. (Just read it in context). If the AOD occured in 70 AD, then the return of Christ would have to have occured then also. I do not believe Christ has returned yet.

Comment

I do agree that the Dome on the rock is an abomination, but not THE abomination. I agree with much of what Cyberseeker has said and I have thought before that maybe the Lord allowed the Dome to be built there to stop a temple being built. Knowing full well that some would think it a good idea!

blessings
                      My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
                      ------
                      "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Comment

Originally posted by Indueseason View Post
                        I do agree that the Dome on the rock is an abomination, but not THE abomination. I agree with much of what Cyberseeker has said and I have thought before that maybe the Lord allowed the Dome to be built there to stop a temple being built. Knowing full well that some would think it a good idea!

blessings
                        Has it occurred to any of us that our modern new-age world may try to turn the dome into a shrine for Jews, Muslims, and Christians - you know - a 'keepeverybodyhappy' alternative.

Just a thought.
                        "Your name and renown
                        is the desire of our hearts."
                        (Isaiah 26:8)

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post
                          Has it occurred to any of us that our modern new-age world may try to turn the dome into a shrine for Jews, Muslims, and Christians - you know - a 'keepeverybodyhappy' alternative.

Just a thought.
                          Surely the muslims would never allow infidels to go in there?
                          My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
                          ------
                          "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post

Just a thought.
                            Thats what the interfaith movement is trying to do to religion in general.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by daughter View Post

Thoughts please!
                              Daniel 11:31 "Forces from him will arise, desecrate the sanctuary fortress, and do away with the regular sacrifice. And they will set up the abomination of desolation.
                              The abomination is an object which is set up (in real time) by forces (military?) which the antichrist has mustered. It is not the antichrist himself. He comes to sit in the Temple once the abomination has been set up.

Daniel 9:27 "And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations {will come} one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate."
                              The placement of the abomination allows the antichrist to come to power. That's why Jesus said to run. The Great Trib is starting. As far as what I think the "abomination" is, I can only give you a "vague" hint:

What God views as an abomination, man may view favorably.

Comment

Working...
                              X