"let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains"

Please pardon my ignorance, but I have had a question I have been unable to work out ever since I started reading the preparations thread.

In Jesus` time, there were many more populated lands than Judea. Today, nearly the entire earth is populated. Why wouldn`t Jesus have warned us all to flee? Why just those in Judea?

Christians were all over, even then. Why wouldn`t he warn us ALL to head for the mountains? Or flee the cities? etc etc.

I thank you in advance for your replies - try as I might, I can gain no insight into this particular thought...

Last edited by Catsmeow; Nov 15 2014, 01:49 PM. Reason: sp

Re: "let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains"

Well, you are going to get a variety of answers based on what people's opinions are based on their interpretation of end times.

Jesus was having a private conversation with his disciples - even though none of them would experience this. If you finish the conversation, he is talking to them about Jews - telling them to pray that this doesn't happen on a Sabbath day. He is specifically saying that when the Temple will be defiled in such a horrid and abominable way that this is a signal for those Jews living there in Judea to get OUT of town because a great catastrophe is about to take place there - specifically in Judea.

If one looks at the destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D. as a foreshadowing of what's to come - history tells us that many Jews would NOT leave the city and suffered great horrors at the hands of the Romans.

The warning is for those in literal proximity to the Temple.
    sigpic
    ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

Originally posted by Catsmeow View Post
      Please pardon my ignorance, but I have had a question I have been unable to work out ever since I started reading the preparations thread.

In Jesus` time, there were many more populated lands than Judea. Today, nearly the entire earth is populated. Why wouldn`t Jesus have warned us all to flee? Why just those in Judea?

Christians were all over, even then. Why wouldn`t he warn us ALL to head for the mountains? Or flee the cities? etc etc.

I thank you in advance for your replies - try as I might, I can gain no insight into this particular thought...

As there is to be a great tribulation for the faithful throughout the world, and it is to commence once the abomination of desolation stands in the holy place in Jerusalem, where those in Judea are then to flee into the mountains; it is then generally assumed that all the faithful throughout the world will eventually have to do the same as those in Judea.
      You can read Matthew 24; Luke 21; and Mark 13; to see the faithful throughout the world will be adversely affected once the abomination of desolation spoken of by the prophet Daniel (Matthew 24:15; Mark 13:14) stands in the Holy place.

Comment

Depending on the theological position:

1. Preterists will say that it was a specific instruction to a specific group of people - Judeans were ordered to seek safety from the Roman army.

2. Dispensationalists will say that a future end times war in Israel will cause believers during the tribulation period to seek shelter away from the battles. A newly built temple is the occasion for the discourse and future Jewish Christians are the audience (this can't apply to Christians since they've already been raptured).

3. A variation on 2 is that it is using commonly understood language to apply to a world event (i.e. we should all flee to the mountains). There is an eschatological continuity between the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 and the end times war.

4. Others say that it was specific to the first century although there are still future prophecies in the chapter. The passage is describing the time between the two comings of Jesus. They argue it doesn't make sense to tell people to run away from an omniscient and omnipotent God, nor could the language be describing a time thousands of years in the future because a temple is assumed to be standing.

Comment

The reason is this. The Great Tribulation is a tribulation for the Jews, who were warned to flee Jerusalem.

Comment

Originally posted by decrumpit View Post
            Depending on the theological position:

1. Preterists will say that it was a specific instruction to a specific group of people - Judeans were ordered to seek safety from the Roman army.

2. Dispensationalists will say that a future end times war in Israel will cause believers during the tribulation period to seek shelter away from the battles. A newly built temple is the occasion for the discourse and future Jewish Christians are the audience (this can't apply to Christians since they've already been raptured).

3. A variation on 2 is that it is using commonly understood language to apply to a world event (i.e. we should all flee to the mountains). There is an eschatological continuity between the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 and the end times war.

4. Others say that it was specific to the first century although there are still future prophecies in the chapter. The passage is describing the time between the two comings of Jesus. They argue it doesn't make sense to tell people to run away from an omniscient and omnipotent God, nor could the language be describing a time thousands of years in the future because a temple is assumed to be standing.
            And then there are a few more:

5. Like me, we see that the AntiChrist will be revealed in Jerusalem and wage war against the Jews first, and then when those who responded to God (and His word) flee, then the AntiChrist initiates war against Christians around the world. (post-trib rapture.)

6. Others who see the temple spoken of in Thessalonians and elsewhere refers not to Temple in Jerusalem, but the church (as the temple of God) and so throughout the world there will internal fighting - but doesn't match fleeing Jerusalem (partially why I reject this view.)

Comment

Welcome Catsmeow!

As a lover of cats, I love your name!

Consider a wolf in sheeps clothing, what does it eat for a prey and where does it dwell? It eats sheep and dwells amongst the flock.

When THE WOLF is seen amongst the sheep, get out or you are liable to become it's prey!

THE WOLF will come and be disguised as the lion of the tribe of Judah in Judea.

Unfortunately, those sheep who don't know the true voice of their shepherd's word, will fall prey because they were led astray by the wolves in sheeps clothing.

Hope that helps!

God Bless you and your search for truth in His word,
              Love Fountain

Comment

Because Jesus was talking about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD and the war between Rome and the Jews. It only pretained to the christians living in the area at that time and history proved Jesus to be right.

Comment

I’m going to try to answer this in innocence it was ask.

When you got saved you did not go to Judea to Golgotha the place of the scull

Where are Lord and Savior die for are sin. But in your heart you go there I cried for hours and I don’t cry.

Matt 24:16

16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

KJV

Anyways whatever doctrine you believe in go back to Golgotha in times of trouble no matter where you are in the world.

And this where the second advent happens Golgotha some say Matt 24:16 all ready happen some say in the future no matter for me at lease to put in the simplest

terms it means return to JESUS.

Matt 18:20

20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

KJV

A mere child of GOD reaching out to touch the hem of YESHUA’S garment

Comment

In the time of the second coming the world's population with be centered around Babylon. Matt 24:7 (WW3) wars, pestilence ect...and the Beast will wipe out much of the population. There will be no US, no Russia only the main city Babylon and surrounding areas. Even if you happened to survive these plagues and wars in far countries you would still have to travel to Babylon to sustain life. Babylon is masquerading as Jerusalem ie New Jerusalem out from the ashes of world destruction. Judea is of course near this city and which contains the remnant of Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by ross3421 View Post
                      In the time of the second coming the world's population with be centered around Babylon. Matt 24:7 (WW3) wars, pestilence ect...and the Beast will wipe out much of the population. There will be no US, no Russia only the main city Babylon and surrounding areas. Even if you happened to survive these plagues and wars in far countries you would still have to travel to Babylon to sustain life. Babylon is masquerading as Jerusalem ie New Jerusalem out from the ashes of world destruction. Judea is of course near this city and which contains the remnant of Israel.
                      And how are we to get there? God Almighty holding His hand over us as we achieve a second "exodus" is all I can think of. And why not? He did it once, He can do it again!

Comment

Cat,

For your consideration . . .

Here are some versions of the appropriate passages from Jesus on this:

Matt. 24:15-21 (Jesus is speaking)
                        15 “Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand),
                        16 then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.
                        17 “Whoever is on the housetop must not go down to get the things out that are in his house.
                        18 “Whoever is in the field must not turn back to get his cloak.
                        19 “But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!
                        20 “But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath.
                        21 “For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will.

Luke 21:20-24 (Jesus is speaking)
                        20 “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near.
                        21 “Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city;
                        22 because these are days of vengeance, so that all things which are written will be fulfilled.
                        23 “Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days; for there will be great distress upon the land and wrath to this people;
                        24 and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

Mark 13:14-19 (Jesus is speaking)
                        14 “But when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION standing where it should not be (let the reader understand), then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.
                        15 “The one who is on the housetop must not go down, or go in to get anything out of his house;
                        16 and the one who is in the field must not turn back to get his coat.
                        17 “But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!
                        18 “But pray that it may not happen in the winter.
                        19 “For those days will be a time of tribulation such as has not occurred since the beginning of the creation which God created until now, and never will.
                        And so, the parallel passages above indicate clearly that only those who

1) were looking at the temple of Herod while it was still standing, or
                        2) who lived in the "Judea" of that first-century time

could obey Jesus' words.

This would exclude all who do not live in Judea.
                        Grace and peace,

Billy-brown 2

I Peter 1:25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Comment

Originally posted by less than zero View Post
                          I’m going to try to answer this in innocence it was ask.

When you got saved you did not go to Judea to Golgotha the place of the scull

Where are Lord and Savior die for are sin. But in your heart you go there I cried for hours and I don’t cry.

Matt 24:16

16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

KJV

Anyways whatever doctrine you believe in go back to Golgotha in times of trouble no matter where you are in the world.

And this where the second advent happens Golgotha some say Matt 24:16 all ready happen some say in the future no matter for me at lease to put in the simplest

terms it means return to JESUS.

Matt 18:20

20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

KJV

A mere child of GOD reaching out to touch the hem of YESHUA’S garment
                          What a sweet post. Thank you! You are so kind...

Comment

Originally posted by billy-brown 2 View Post
                            Cat,

For your consideration . . .

Here are some versions of the appropriate passages from Jesus on this:

And so, the parallel passages above indicate clearly that only those who

1) were looking at the temple of Herod while it was still standing, or
                            2) who lived in the "Judea" of that first-century time

could obey Jesus' words.

This would exclude all who do not live in Judea.
                            This is the way I always interpreted that scripture. But wow! Luke 21:21 alone needs a separate thread...

Comment

And how are we to get there? God Almighty holding His hand over us as we achieve a second "exodus" is all I can think of. And why not? He did it once, He can do it again!
                              Correct, the verses below seem to me to indicate a gathering of the faithful from around the world after being in the wilderness.

Micah 7:14 Feed thy people with thy rod, the flock of thine heritage, which dwell solitarily in the wood, in the midst of Carmel: let them feed in Bashan and Gilead, as in the days of old.
                              15 According to the days of thy coming out of the land of Egypt will I shew unto him marvellous things.

Comment

Working...
                              X