Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The world waits for the 70 years of the Babylonians!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The world waits for the 70 years of the Babylonians!

See Jeremiah 25:11.
    This prophecy will be completed by Iraq.
    http://prophecyinsights.com

Originally posted by vinsight4u8 View Post
    See Jeremiah 25:11.
    This prophecy will be completed by Iraq.
    Hi Vinsight4u8,

There is nothing I can find in this verse that points to the future. All has long ago been fulfilled in the 6th century BC. So please prove your point.

Kind regards,

Dik

Comment

Hi

I'll try to explain it...

Jeremiah 25 takes place in the first year of Nebuchadnezzar II.
      So make that 605 B.C., and it tells us that the Babylonians get seventy years to rule the nations.

25:11
      And this whole land shall be a desolation, [and] an astonishment; and these nations shall serve the king of Babylon seventy years."

these nations
      shall serve
      the king of Babylon

Verse12
      "And it shall come to pass, when seventy years are accomplished, [that] I will punish the king of Babylon.

So the 70 years must begin and end with a wicked king of Babylon.
      a Babylonian

Israel was in captivity for 70 years, but part of that time was under the Medes and the Persians.
      So that means Verse 12 is still waiting for a Babylonian king to bring in the end of a 70 years of time against the nations.

The chapter also gives a a list of nations that were to be under the king of Babylon -

Verse 17
      "Then took I the cup at the LORD's hand, and made all the nations drink...
      Verses18>25
      "....Jerusalem....Egypt....all the kings of Arabia...all the kings of Elam, and all the kings of the Medes."

So a king of Jerusalem - Saudia Arabia, the Medes - Persians - can't count as being a king of Babylon for this prophecy as to the 70 years being fulfilled -as they are not Babylonians.

But what if the man of sin will be a Babylonian king - and he finishes the time left for the Babylonians to be ruler of the nations?

Nebuchadnezzar - and his followers used up so far 605 - 539 B. C. and then Cyrus the Persian took over Babylon.

So for Jeremiah's 25:11 prophecy to be in the past - the Babylonians would have to gained world power again and they did not.

So that is why the world now waits for the rising of the final king of the Babylonians.

In Rev. 17 it speaks of how the ten horns have not received their kingdom - but it doesn't lead in that same direction as to the beast; for it places him as a king that was.

the beast was ////died
      is not ///while John gets the message
      shall ascend out of the bottomless pit

Comment

Another thing that I find interesting is that Jeremiah has it written as to just before the time of Nebuchadnezzar - all of the previous yokes were broken off of Israel.

Okay, - then comes what Moses had foretold to Israel In Deuteronomy 28:48.

the yoke of iron

Jeremiah 28:14
        "...saith the God of Israel: I have put a yoke of iron upon the neck of all these nations, that they may serve
        Nebuchadnezzar..."

Nowhere does it ever tell us that this yoke was broken yet....but then we get to a prophecy as to "that day is great, so that none [is] like it", and we get told that

"...I will break his yoke from off thy neck..."

Jeremiah 30:7>8

Comment

Thanks for your elaborate answer. I hope I'll not disappoint you because I do almost nowhere agree with you. But perhaps it will help you a bit if others give their opinion...

Hi

I'll try to explain it...

Jeremiah 25 takes place in the first year of Nebuchadnezzar II.
          So make that 605 B.C., and it tells us that the Babylonians get seventy years to rule the nations.

And this whole land shall be a desolation, [and] an astonishment; and these nations shall serve the king of Babylon seventy years."

these nations
          shall serve
          the king of Babylon

Verse12
          "And it shall come to pass, when seventy years are accomplished, [that] I will punish the king of Babylon.

So the 70 years must begin and end with a wicked king of Babylon.
          a Babylonian
          Yes but it only says that there will be "a" king of Babylon for 70 years, not "one and only one". And the answer you give yourself:

Nebuchadnezzar - and his followers used up so far 605 - 539 B. C. and then Cyrus the Persian took over Babylon.
          That is, from the 3rd year of Jehoiakim to Cyrus is 70 years. I see here no future king.

But what if the man of sin will be a Babylonian king - and he finishes the time left for the Babylonians to be ruler of the nations?
          I'm trying to understand what you say here because it is a sudden jump. You presuppose

(1) That the man of sin will be one individual (cf. 1 John 2:18 many antichrists).
          (2) You move Jeremiah's fulfilled prophecy suddenly into the future.
          (3) It is not clear to me that it makes any difference what nationality Antichrist will have.
          (4) Iraqians are not Babylonians...

So for Jeremiah's 25:11 prophecy to be in the past - the Babylonians would have to gained world power again and they did not.

So that is why the world now waits for the rising of the final king of the Babylonians.
          This I do not understand. Why should the Babylonians gain world power? They had "world power" in the sense Jer. and Dan. use "world". They never had "world power" in our modern sense.

In Rev. 17 it speaks of how the ten horns have not received their kingdom - but it doesn't lead in that same direction as to the beast; for it places him as a king that was.

the beast was ////died
          is not ///while John gets the message
          shall ascend out of the bottomless pit
          What relation does this have to the ancient Babylon? Rev. clearly speaks of a "Babylon" that exists in John's time.
          Rev. 17:18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

"Reighneth" has present tense.

Kind regards,

Dik

Comment

I'll look more at your reply later. I have a question for you.

If you see Jer. 25:11 as ended with Cyrus as the Babylon king - then what king was punished and his land for Verse 12?

Comment

I'll look more at your reply later. I have a question for you.

If you see Jer. 25:11 as ended with Cyrus as the Babylon king - then what king was punished and his land for Verse 12?
              That is a misunderstanding. The king of Babylon was punished in vs. 11 and 12, but the means of punishing was by Cyrus the Persian king.

Dik

Comment

Cyrus didn't destroy Babylon's land - and he took down the last so far king of Babylon when Babylon still had between 3-4 years or so left to rule the world.

Verse 12 is clear that 70 years has to pass first. So

take - Nebuchadnezzar's day - 605 B.C.
                and that means for this prophecy to be in the past - the last Babylonian king went down in 535 B.C,
                however, Cyrus came in 539 B.C..

We need 70 years for the Babylonian kings.

Nebuchadnezzar 605 >>>>>>>>>>and then we can't find one in power to punish at the end of 70 years.

Comment

Hi Vinsight,

Cyrus didn't destroy Babylon's land
                  He didn't even destroy the city! Babylon has never been destroyed, it dwindled slowly through the centuries until only a little village was left. It's in all books on archeology. Reading Isaiah 13-14 our first impression is that the city was destroyed in one little hour. This prophecy is about the ancient Babylonian empire because it mentions the Medians attacking it (Isa. 13:17) and it was God's revenge for the destruction of Jerusalem and His temple in 586 BC and for Judah's exile. If follows that Isaiah did not mean his prophecy to be understood in een wooden literal way. He predicted the fall of the Babylonian empire because that fall was needed for the return of God's people (Isa. 14:1).

- and he took down the last so far king of Babylon when Babylon still had between 3-4 years or so left to rule the world.

Verse 12 is clear that 70 years has to pass first. So

take - Nebuchadnezzar's day - 605 B.C.
                  and that means for this prophecy to be in the past - the last Babylonian king went down in 535 B.C,
                  however, Cyrus came in 539 B.C..

We need 70 years for the Babylonian kings.

Nebuchadnezzar 605 >>>>>>>>>>and then we can't find one in power to punish at the end of 70 years.
                  [/quote]

I don't think this is a good way of understanding the Scriptures. The Bible is not mathematics. It is written in everyday language and therefore one should understand the 70 years as a round number. Moreover, there will never be another Babylon:

Isaiah 13:20 "It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation."
                  Jeremiah 51:26 "Thou shalt be desolate for ever."
                  Ezekiel 26:21 "I will make thee a terror, and thou shalt be no more; though thou be sought for, yet shall thou never be found again."
                  The Babylon Revelation speaks about is not a revived Babylon.

Kind regards,
                  Dik

Comment

Why can't Babylon's land get attacked by the Medes in the end days?
                    Jeremiah 50-51 lays out a prophecy as to Babylon on the Euphrates River. It tells how one day all must flee there before the plagues come down on the land.

Daniel - didn't flee last time, so this must be end-time happenings.

Zechariah chapter 5 ends by revealing that Shinar's land is to rise again.

Comment

Rev. 18 is about the Babylon that made the nations drink - and that connects to the time of Jeremiah 25:15.

a cup was taken to the nations

the Babylonian sword was coming

At the end - it will be time to punish the king of Sheshach.
                      see 25:26

Comment

Was Jeremiah 29:10's 70 years just to be considered as a round figure too - as you see things in the Bible?

Jeremiah has given two 70-yr prophecies.

29:10

Daniel 9 shows that he is confused as to the 25:11 one - just when it will be finished.

Comment

Rev. 17 and Rev. 18 are not about the same places.

Rev. 17 refers to mystery, Babylon
                          Rev. 18 - shows that it is after this - and speaks as to the Babylon that made the nations drink.
                          It lines up Isaiah 47 as to the land of the Chaldeans.
                          Rev. 19 - is another after chapter - so it has another story - and it continues into chapter 20.

Jeremiah 50:12
                          "Your mother shall be sore confounded..."
                          ////This is referring to the place of mystery, Babylon - the mother of harlots.
                          When her land goes down - that will be a signal - a warning that regular Babylon should expect her land to go down soon too.

Verse 1
                          "The word that the LORD spake against Babylon...the land of the Chaldeans..."
                          "Therefore shall he young men fall in the streets..."
                          "A sword is upon the Chaldeans, saith the LORD, and upon the inhabitants of Babylon..."
                          "As God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah....no man shall abide there..."
                          "At the noise of the taking of Babylon the earth is moved, and the cry is heard among the nations."
                          51:4
                          "Thus shall the slain fall in the land of the Chaldeans...thrust through in her streets."
                          "Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and deliver every man his soul..."
                          "Babylon hath been a golden cup...that made all the earth drunken..."
                          "Babylon is suddenly fallen and destroyed..."
                          v10
                          "The LORD hath brought forth our righteousness..."

Daniel 9:24
                          "Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people...to finish the transgression...to bring in everlasting righteousness..."

Comment

Jeremiah's two 70-yr prophecies began at the same time------but they were not destined to end at the same date.

29:10- just requires they go to Babylon for 70 years
                            25:11-12 - requires that a Babylonian king is in power - and gets punished at the end of a time of 70 years.

Just as in Isaiah 23:15 - it shows how Tyre has yet to rise again too.
                            She is forgotten - as in God holds back her punishment due - till the 70 years of a king come to pass. At that time - Trye will be singing as a harlot city.
                            - she is
                            the mother of harlots city - for Rev. 17

destroyed in Rev. 19:2

Comment

Jeremiah's two 70-yr prophecies began at the same time------but they were not destined to end at the same date.

29:10- just requires they go to Babylon for 70 years
                              25:11-12 - requires that a Babylonian king is in power - and gets punished at the end of a time of 70 years.

Just as in Isaiah 23:15 - it shows how Tyre has yet to rise again too.
                              She is forgotten - as in God holds back her punishment due - till the 70 years of a king come to pass. At that time - Trye will be singing as a harlot city.
                              - she is
                              the mother of harlots city - for Rev. 17

destroyed in Rev. 19:2
                              It looks like you don't believe the scriptures Dik quoted you earlier.:

Isaiah 13:20 "It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation."

Jeremiah 51:26 "Thou shalt be desolate for ever."

Ezekiel 26:21 "I will make thee a terror, and thou shalt be no more; though thou be sought for, yet shall thou never be found again."

Raybob

Comment

Working...
                              X