Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exact Dates for the 70th Week

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    Those of us who treat Daniel’s 70th week as consecutive (ie. not separated from the 69 preceding weeks), are sometimes asked, “well, when was it?” Here is the short answer:
    first day of seventieth week – 1st Nisan (27th March) AD 27
    last day of seventieth week – 29th Adar (8th March) AD 34


    Here are the dates in diagrammatic form, showing key chronological markers. I’ll get back soon to expand on this. We can discuss the significance of the last half of the ‘week’ too if you like.

    .


    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

  • #2
    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    There are several matters that we need to consider when searching for the start of the 70th week. The most important barely gets a mention on end-time forums, that Daniels ‘weeks’ were actually the Sabbath years. There was not a separate count of seven; it was one and the same as the Shemitah which had been counting (though not always observed) since Moses. (Lev. 25:1-7)

    The next matter is a technical problem that throws the count out sometimes. Modern Jewish calendars call the New Year ‘Rosh Hashanah’ and start their years in Tishri. (Sept) It was not always so because Moses explicitly said New Year was Nisan. (Exodus 12:2,17) So, when you see the vertical lines in the timeline, they mark Nisan (March) – not Tishri.

    Unfortunately, the Hebrew calendar was tampered with during the Inter-testament years.
    What does Ezra say?
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

      This is a more advanced study into this than I'm adept at. But the timeline I agree with, except that I continue to doubt whether there even needs to be a last half of the 70th Week. As far as I'm concerned, the 70th Week was finished in the midst of the week, as a half-week. That's when the atonement for sin took place. That's where the Law basically became irrelevant as a covenant.

      However, it's a logical approach to find significance 3.5 years later after the death of Christ when the Gentiles began to be reached with the Gospel of Christ. This could explain the missing last half of the week. But again, I don't find it necessary, since the central part of the 70th Week happened in the middle of the Week. And that may itself have finished the 70th Week.

      I don't know where you stand on the Abomination of Desolation in Dan 9.26-27? I personally believe that the prophecy of the destruction of the city and the sanctuary, the AoD, was fulfilled *after* the 70 Weeks prophecy was fulfilled. It was fulfilled immediately after the fulfillment of the atonement of Christ in the midst of the Week, in the very generation in which Christ died.

      Is this your position? I find that those who want to cut off the 70th Week from the 70 consecutive weeks want to apply the prophecy of the AoD to Antichrist at the end of history. Maybe that's how they justify separating the 70th Week from the previous 69 weeks, so that the AoD can be applied to a future Antichrist?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

        Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post
        There are several matters that we need to consider when searching for the start of the 70th week. The most important barely gets a mention on end-time forums, that Daniels ‘weeks’ were actually the Sabbath years. There was not a separate count of seven; it was one and the same as the Shemitah which had been counting (though not always observed) since Moses. (Lev. 25:1-7)

        The next matter is a technical problem that throws the count out sometimes. Modern Jewish calendars call the New Year ‘Rosh Hashanah’ and start their years in Tishri. (Sept) It was not always so because Moses explicitly said New Year was Nisan. (Exodus 12:2,17) So, when you see the vertical lines in the timeline, they mark Nisan (March) – not Tishri.

        Unfortunately, the Hebrew calendar was tampered with during the Inter-testament years.
        What does Ezra say?
        But sabbath years were to do with blessings and Daniels years or weeks were to do with the 7 fold punishments from Moses in Leviticus 26

        The angel came with the 70 weeks due to Daniels prayer in the beginning of Daniel 9 as Daniel was praying to Godfor mercy because the 70 years prophecied by Jeremiah were coming to an end and the Jews were not repenting

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

          Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post
          Those of us who treat Daniel’s 70th week as consecutive (ie. not separated from the 69 preceding weeks), are sometimes asked, “well, when was it?” Here is the short answer:
          first day of seventieth week – 1st Nisan (27th March) AD 27
          last day of seventieth week – 29th Adar (8th March) AD 34


          Here are the dates in diagrammatic form, showing key chronological markers. I’ll get back soon to expand on this. We can discuss the significance of the last half of the ‘week’ too if you like.

          .


          If a premise is doubtful, can the rest of the calculation carry weight? Daniel 9:24 says;

          "Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy."
          1. God has set aside seventy SEVENS in PROPHECY
          2. In PROPHECY a day is a year (Num.14:34; Isa.61:2, 63:4; Ezek.4:6)
          3. They pertain to "Daniel's People" exclusively

          So we have a prophecy concerning Daniel's People - Israel, that takes 490 years. This calculation you agree with by coming out at 27 AD. But now you have to show Israel;
          • to have a HOLY CITY. But it is NOT HOLY. It is profaned by Gentiles and a Gentile Temple
          • to have finished THE transgression. No doubt it is the Abomination of Desolation
          • to have made an end to sins. Is this the case?
          • having had reconciliation for iniquity (singular) - which one
          • in a state of EVERLASTING righteousness - really?
          • having anointed the Most Holy

          It is when these ALL are accomplished that we could surmise that the VISION of the 70 SEVENs and the PROPHECY of the 70 SEVENs is "sealed up" or "accomplished" ("hatam" in the Hebrew).

          Added to this, if ALL the above were "accomplished" by 34 AD, how then is there NO CITY and NO Temple 36 years later. How come the last few of Daniel's People are dispersed - a curse of the Law for sinning and iniquity? (Lev.26:33).

          Your foundational thesis is fraught with problems.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

            Originally posted by marty fox
            But sabbath years were to do with blessings and Daniels years or weeks were to do with the 7 fold punishments from Moses in Leviticus 26
            The Sabbath years were blessings if they were kept, but not if they were not kept. An interesting exercise is to look up a chart of Sabbath years during the Maccabean period. Then compare it with Daniels weeks. You'll find they happen at the same time. No co-incidence brother - they are the same!
            "Your name and renown
            is the desire of our hearts."
            (Isaiah 26:8)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

              Originally posted by randyk
              This is a more advanced study into this than I'm adept at.
              Not too advanced bro - just a different approach.

              Originally posted by randyk
              But the timeline I agree with, except that I continue to doubt whether there even needs to be a last half of the 70th Week. As far as I'm concerned, the 70th Week was finished in the midst of the week, as a half-week. That's when the atonement for sin took place. That's where the Law basically became irrelevant as a covenant.
              The covenant took 7 years to confirm as I understand it. Most of the clauses requiring confirmation (Dan 9:24) happened at the cross, like you say. However, "the anointing of the most holy" occurred at the beginning of the week. (Christ the cornerstone) And it was finished at the end of the week. The Church began Pentecost, but the Gentile Pentecost came 3 1/2 years afterwards, and marks the final anointing of God's new temple.

              Originally posted by randyk
              I don't know where you stand on the Abomination of Desolation in Dan 9.26-27? I personally believe that the prophecy of the destruction of the city and the sanctuary, the AoD, was fulfilled *after* the 70 Weeks prophecy was fulfilled. It was fulfilled immediately after the fulfillment of the atonement of Christ in the midst of the Week, in the very generation in which Christ died.

              Is this your position? I find that those who want to cut off the 70th Week from the 70 consecutive weeks want to apply the prophecy of the AoD to Antichrist at the end of history. Maybe that's how they justify separating the 70th Week from the previous 69 weeks, so that the AoD can be applied to a future Antichrist?
              Yes, mostly agree. Ive got a paper on the AoD here.
              "Your name and renown
              is the desire of our hearts."
              (Isaiah 26:8)

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

                Originally posted by randyk View Post
                But the timeline I agree with, except that I continue to doubt whether there even needs to be a last half of the 70th Week. As far as I'm concerned, the 70th Week was finished in the midst of the week, as a half-week. That's when the atonement for sin took place. That's where the Law basically became irrelevant as a covenant.
                Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.


                The first thing to grasp is this. Every single thing in this verse is fulfilled during the 70th week. Therefore, there indeed needs to be a last half of the 70th week in order to fulfill the following....and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

                I fully disagree then, that a last half of the 70th week is not needed. If it wasn't needed, maybe the angel shouldn't have included this part then....and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

                Once one grasps that everything in verse 27 is fulfilled during the 70th week, it then becomes plainly obvious Christ can't be the one fulfilling any of these things.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

                  THE 70 WEEKS ARE LITERAL WEEKS!!!!!!

                  Can anybody even entertain this idea? Good grief. Can it just be that weeks really mean weeks? Have we all been brainwashed?

                  The fact is that the 70 are weeks not years and have yet commenced.

                  The 70th week begins with a future 7 day Feast of Tabernacles wherein Christ shall return.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

                    Originally posted by ross3421 View Post
                    THE 70 WEEKS ARE LITERAL WEEKS!!!!!!

                    Can anybody even entertain this idea? Good grief.
                    No, no we can't, because the idea is ludicrous bigtime. No serious Bible student would waste their time pursuing such nonsense.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

                      Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post
                      The Sabbath years were blessings if they were kept, but not if they were not kept. An interesting exercise is to look up a chart of Sabbath years during the Maccabean period. Then compare it with Daniels weeks. You'll find they happen at the same time. No co-incidence brother - they are the same!
                      I think the 7 weeks runs parallel with some of the 49 weeks and the 70th week was during the Maccabean revolt

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

                        Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post
                        The Sabbath years were blessings if they were kept, but not if they were not kept. An interesting exercise is to look up a chart of Sabbath years during the Maccabean period. Then compare it with Daniels weeks. You'll find they happen at the same time. No co-incidence brother - they are the same!
                        The 70th week is also part of this 70 weeks. It clearly has context involving abominations, which have to be fulfilled in the last half of the 70th week, which couldn't possibly fit with a single thing around the time of Christ's death and resurrection. The way some try and get around this fact, they claim the following isn't even fulfilled during the 70th week, but instead is fulfilled after the 70th week.....and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

                        So why is that part included in a verse where the context clearly involves the 70th week if that part doesn't even involve the 70th week?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

                          Originally posted by divaD View Post
                          The 70th week is also part of this 70 weeks. It clearly has context involving abominations, which have to be fulfilled in the last half of the 70th week, which couldn't possibly fit with a single thing around the time of Christ's death and resurrection. The way some try and get around this fact, they claim the following isn't even fulfilled during the 70th week, but instead is fulfilled after the 70th week.....and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

                          So why is that part included in a verse where the context clearly involves the 70th week if that part doesn't even involve the 70th week?
                          It makes sense if it was during the Maccabean revolt

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

                            Originally posted by divaD View Post
                            No, no we can't, because the idea is ludicrous bigtime. No serious Bible student would waste their time pursuing such nonsense.
                            Really. What is nonsense ? To believe a week is a week or a week is actually to be translated to years? Think about. Let's say you are speaking with an unbeliever about the 70 weeks are you tell him you are not to accept a week is a literal week in this passage. Then you go on to tell him you must be born again? He will tell you that you are making the scriptures say what you want, goodbye.

                            If it were weeks to years then there should be no debate when they happened. It would be recorded history? If it were to be years the Spirit would have said. Why only this incidence?

                            I will tell you why, because there is no serious bible student on earth which can figure out the prophesy if it were a future event.

                            No my friend what is ludicrous is translating weeks to years.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

                              Originally posted by marty fox View Post
                              It makes sense if it was during the Maccabean revolt

                              Not that I agree, but would this indicate everything listed in verse 27 is fulfilled during the 70th week like I have been trying to explain? If yes, at least that interpretation is agreeing with the text, unlike some of these interpretations around here that are clearly not agreeing with the text if those interpretations have some of verse 27 being fulfilled after the 70th week, rather than during it like the text clearly indicates.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X