Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RESTRAINS THE REVEALING OF EVIL

Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post
    The word only means to depart somehow from the beliefs or faith one has. It's a religious departing, not a physical departing. It's used twice in scripture and that's what it means.

G646
    ἀποστασία
    apostasia
    ap-os-tas-ee'-ah
    Feminine of the same as G647; defection from truth (properly the state), (“apostasy”): - falling away, forsake.
    Total KJV occurrences: 2
    Not correct.

You are limited in your understanding, by viewing only a "limited" source, and looking no further (like at the Liddell and Scott Greek-English Lexicon source I provided):

"Liddell and Scott, in their Greek-English Lexicon (1871; page 93), has listed under "apostasia"... "later form for apostasis"

--"apo stasis" is from "apo - away from" and "stasis [/stasin] - a standing"... thus, "a standing away from [from a previous standing]"

(i.e. a "departure"...
    from WHATEVER the CONTEXT indicates, as to just "WHAT KIND" of "departure" is meant, in any given passage--the BASIC MEANING of the word is simply "DEPARTURE" [without injecting "WHAT KIND," which is determined by whatever context wherein it's found--whether "FROM MOSES" or "from a governmental/law-type situation" or "of a FEVER" or "[boat] FROM A DOCK" (these latter ones being a spatial/geographical departure!)])

--then look at how "stasis/stasin [G4714]" (from the above point) is used in 8 of its 9 times (that is, in a NEGATIVE sense--see: https://biblehub.com/text/hebrews/9-8.htm and if you hover your cursor over the G4714 in the left-hand column, the "pop-up definition" there ONLY PROVIDES the "NEGATIVE SENSE" definition of this [related] word, but the word is NOT in the "NEGATIVE SENSE" in this Heb9:8-9 CONTEXT!!!); and

it would NOT BE CORRECT to therefore conclude that its 9th time used [the one found in Heb9:8-9 (*see link below for list)] is also to be understood in this NEGATIVE sense merely because it is used in a NEGATIVE sense in ALL OTHER INSTANCES!

To INSIST on such a thing ^ would just be to insist on being "willfully ignorant".

*-- see ALL of the list of its NINE times here: https://biblehub.com/greek/4714.htm [right-hand column--note how the LAST reference is NOT used in the SAME *NEGATIVE* SENSE as are ALL THE OTHERS!]

You yourself may not care to scrutinize what I've put above [at these two links], but the readers of this thread many wish to, in order "to see whether these things are so"

The word only means to depart somehow from the beliefs or faith one has. It's a religious departing, not a physical departing. It's used twice in scripture and that's what it means.

G646
    ἀποστασία
    apostasia
    ap-os-tas-ee'-ah
    Feminine of the same as G647; defection from truth (properly the state), (“apostasy”): - falling away, forsake.
    Total KJV occurrences: 2
    Not correct.

You are limited in your understanding, by viewing only a "limited" source, and looking no further (like at the Liddell and Scott Greek-English Lexicon source I provided):

"Liddell and Scott, in their Greek-English Lexicon (1871; page 93), has listed under "apostasia"... "later form for apostasis"

--"apo stasis" is from "apo - away from" and "stasis [/stasin] - a standing"... thus, "a standing away from [from a previous standing]"

(i.e. a "departure"...
    from WHATEVER the CONTEXT indicates, as to just "WHAT KIND" of "departure" is meant, in any given passage--the BASIC MEANING of the word is simply "DEPARTURE" [without injecting "WHAT KIND," which is determined by whatever context wherein it's found--whether "FROM MOSES" or "from a governmental/law-type situation" or "of a FEVER" or "[boat] FROM A DOCK" (these latter ones being a spatial/geographical departure!)])

--then look at how "stasis/stasin [G4714]" (from the above point) is used in 8 of its 9 times (that is, in a NEGATIVE sense--see: https://biblehub.com/text/hebrews/9-8.htm and if you hover your cursor over the G4714 in the left-hand column, the "pop-up definition" there ONLY PROVIDES the "NEGATIVE SENSE" definition of this [related] word, but the word is NOT in the "NEGATIVE SENSE" in this Heb9:8-9 CONTEXT!!!); and

it would NOT BE CORRECT to therefore conclude that its 9th time used [the one found in Heb9:8-9 (*see link below for list)] is also to be understood in this NEGATIVE sense merely because it is used in a NEGATIVE sense in ALL OTHER INSTANCES!

To INSIST on such a thing ^ would just be to insist on being "willfully ignorant".

*-- see ALL of the list of its NINE times here: https://biblehub.com/greek/4714.htm [right-hand column--note how the LAST reference is NOT used in the SAME *NEGATIVE* SENSE as are ALL THE OTHERS!]

You yourself may not care to scrutinize what I've put above [at these two links], but the readers of this thread many wish to, in order "to see whether these things are so"

Comment

The reader could do the SAME "exercise" (as posted above) with regard to the Greek word "G2438 [DEAD]" used NINE TIMES.

In the first 8x of its 9 verses, it means "DEAD" (as in "dead as a doornail," "six feet under" "kind" of DEAD); but should we INSIST that in the NINTH one, of the "woman" being referred to there, that we should prepare her casket, and prep for attending her funeral and graveside service?? Or should we take note of the surrounding CONTEXT (i.e. accompanying / clarifying / qualifying words and clues) in order to ascertain that we DO NOT need to "prepare for her BURIAL" in such a way??

The reader could do the SAME "exercise" (as posted above) with regard to the Greek word "G2438 [DEAD]" used NINE TIMES.

In the first 8x of its 9 verses, it means "DEAD" (as in "dead as a doornail," "six feet under" "kind" of DEAD); but should we INSIST that in the NINTH one, of the "woman" being referred to there, that we should prepare her casket, and prep for attending her funeral and graveside service?? Or should we take note of the surrounding CONTEXT (i.e. accompanying / clarifying / qualifying words and clues) in order to ascertain that we DO NOT need to "prepare for her BURIAL" in such a way??

Comment

Originally posted by TheDivineWatermark View Post

This is known as root fallacy. To understand the meaning of apostasia you do not go to a root word and then go by what it means to redefine apostasia. The Liddell and Scott Greek Lexicon defines apostasia as "A defection, revolt, v.l. in D.H.7.1, J.Vit.10, Plu.Galb.1; esp. in religious sense, rebellion against God, apostasy, LXX Jo.22.22, 2 Ep.Th.2.3. "

http://perseus.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/...15.LSJ.1873894

And specifically says this is the meaning of Th.2.3.

2Th 2:3* Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first (A defection, revolt, esp. in religious sense, rebellion against God, apostasy), and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

So, Liddell and Scott says you are wrong about the meaning of apostasia in that verse.
        James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

EDIT: sry, last post should read "G2348" (not G2438)

Comment

So, Liddell and Scott says you are wrong about the meaning of apostasia in that verse.
            No, I'm quoting from it (1871, pg 93)... when I wrote:

--listed under "apostasia"... "later form for apostasis"

_______

So "apo stasis"... is the two words "away from" and "standing [a standing]" (i.e. "a standing... away from"). That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDivineWatermark View Post
              No, I'm quoting from it (1871, pg 93)... when I wrote:

--listed under "apostasia"... "later form for apostasis"

_______

So "apo stasis"... is the two words "away from" and "standing [a standing]" (i.e. "a standing... away from"). That's it.
              The lexicon still says you are wrong about what apostasia means in Thess 2:3.
              James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

Then, for "G4714 stasis / stasin"

[per BibleHub]

stasis: standing, place, dissension
                Original Word: στάσις, εως, ἡ
                Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
                Transliteration: stasis
                Phonetic Spelling: (stas'-is)
                Definition: a rebel, revolutionist
                Usage: an insurrection, dissension; originally: standing, position, place.

[end quoting; bold mine]

oops, that's way bigger than I expected... sry! lol

Comment

[the word in Hebrews 9:8-9 ^ … which in 8 of its 9x is used in the NEGATIVE SENSE, but not in its 9th!]

Comment

I'll just leave the following three links to recent posts I've made (on this Subject), in a different thread (the "called to" thread):

Kenneth S Wuest -

https://bibleforums.org/showthread.p...67#post3560067

Quote by Wm Kelly on the Heb9:8-9 passage -

https://bibleforums.org/showthread.p...69#post3560069

Quote by Thomas Ice on the "Translation History" -

https://bibleforums.org/showthread.p...37#post3560037

[that's if I haven't mixed up the headings I've put here, to their proper LINKS, lol]

Comment

Iniquity isn't a mystery to believers. We know the devil is behind it The "man of sin" is known by his departing from the truth and his revealing to unbelievers will occur when the Holy Spirit is "taken out of the way", when salvation is no longer offered, when all who will be saved are saved, when the
                      conquering is done, when the reign of Christ is over.

Comment

Working...
                      X