Coping with muslim family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice: Coping with muslim family

Hi everyone im deary. My family converted to islam when i was 12. I find it difficult to live with them. Can u guys give me some advice on how to cope with this difficulty?

Re: Coping with muslim family

Originally posted by Deary View Post
    Hi everyone im deary. My family converted to islam when i was 12. I find it difficult to live with them. Can u guys give me some advice on how to cope with this difficulty?
    Welcome to Bibleforums Deary.

Your post raises a lot of questions in my mind. Did your parents convert from Hinduism, or Christianity? How old are you now? Are you asking about how to cope as a Christian? What exactly is the nature of the difficulty that you are having to cope with?

Even if I had the answers to those questions, I find myself somewhat unequipped to give you good advice. But sometimes discussing a thing can result in fresh thoughts, and there are others in the forum that might have been through something like this and able to give more pointed advice.
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

As watchinginawe says, it would be helpful to have a little more background. Do you still live at home? How old are you? What kind of problems are you having? What did your family convert from? And with Islam in particular, it would be helpful to know if you are female. I think there are people here who can help. Many have become Christian whose families have not. This can sometimes lead to difficulties, though Islam poses some unique problems. The short answer is to keep your faith and trust in God; He will take care of you. Respect and honor your parents and avoid being confrontational. Think of yourself as an ambassador.

By the way, where in India are you? I have spent some time in Bangalore and Hyderabad. Wonderful vibrant cities for the most part. I hope to get back soon.
      In Christ,

-- Rev

“To preserve the government we must also preserve morals. Morality rests on religion; if you destroy the foundation, the superstructure must fall. When the public mind becomes vitiated and corrupt, laws are a nullity and constitutions are waste paper.” – Daniel Webster, 4th of July, 1800, Oration at Hanover, N.H.

Comment

I've been attempting to learn everything I can about Islam in India.

From what I understand, Islam was the reason Pakistan formed.

-

I get the impression that some of the people earlier in this thread are under the belief that Hinduism and Islam are the only two religions widely practiced in India.

From what I understand, there are a considerable number of Buddhists in India.

There is also Jainism, Sikhism, and other religions.

Comment

My parents converted from Christianity. Im 21 years old. Yes i am asking question as how to cope as christian. I find it difficult to accept the fact that my mother is wearing hijab and that they are always saying assalamualaikum to each other. Before this they were not like that. My mother became religious after my sister's death. I can't stand watching my mum teaching my brothers and sometimes forcing them to learn Jawi. She even pays my sister to recite the Quran everyday because my sister wouldn't have done it if it's not because of the money. And she is always playing the azaan. I feel somehow offended whenever she does that because it's like she assumed that everyone in the house are muslims. Thank you for trying to help me.

Comment

Yes i am a female. Im not staying at home. I am not from india. I am just a student there. I come from a muslim country. I face the problems everytime i returned home for holiday.

Comment

Yes i am a female. Im not staying at home. I am not from india. I am just a student there. I come from a muslim country. I face the problems everytime i returned home for holiday.
              So don't go home.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
                So don't go home.
                This doesn't seem like a christian response to me. I understand that sometimes as christians we have to separate ourselves to keep leading the life Jesus wants us to live but a blanket response to jump to such an extreme isn't caring. I'm a 30-year old female and if it were my family I would still love them and want to visit and I think we need to empathize a little more with deary on her situation. In the end, it could be that the solution has to be that she is cut off from the family (if it is indeed interfering and leading her not to live a christian life) but that is not a response to be rushed into.

I'm in the painful place right now too that I am witnessing to unbelievers in my household. I know it isn't overnight but it is important that they know you ARE a christian and see you living this out in your lifestyle. I don't know if your mom will get mad but perhaps a heart-to-heart about how you will respect her and you would really like it if she could respect your religion (Proverbs 15:1 - A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger) when you go to visit. I think you might not reach your mom now (perhaps ever but only God knows that) but I would concentrate on letting your siblings know that you continue to live a christian life... and what the means. Your assurance of heaven (thru christ's death for you vs. islam's view that one must earn it). Your siblings might go for decades without changing or accept your mother's religion since she is raising them but because you are still in their lives they might someday reach out to you or another christian for the truth. We never know how the spirit of God is going to move. Keep praying for opportunities to sow the seeds of faith within your siblings and leading a life that witnesses' to Christ's truth to your mother. God's seed (His Word from the Bible) is supernatural. We are His workers in sowing the seed but cannot make it grow ourselves. It is God the Father who brings one to Jesus.

I wish you all the best

Comment

Then Luke 14:26 is not a very Christian response, either.

The problem is that she does not like their religious behavior. She is worried about their spiritual condition. Those are two entirely different things.

If their behavior is something she can't handle, then she does not have to expose herself to it.

Caring for one's family does not mean exposing yourself to harmful behaviors.

Comment

Deary: Here is a website I just found that might be helpful: http://carm.org/christianity/sermons...ds-unbelievers

Rabbi: yes, of course... if it is dangerous to her or is leading her away from Jesus then she should stay away.

Comment

Thank you everyone. But I can't stay away from them because I don't think that will be of any help to me or them. That's why I am trying to find a way to adapt to this situation. The article is very helpful. Actually they are not interfering with my Christian life. My father always tells me that if i've chosen to be a Christian then I should really follow all the teachings and become a good Christian. Sometimes my mum likes to tell the story of Muhammad to me. I don't want to hurt her feelings or anything so I just listen to her. But actually I am the one who got hurt when I did that. It's so difficult. In this situation I have to choose whether to become a good Christian or a good child.

Comment

Honestly, they have the right to believe whatever they like. And your mother has a right to do whatever she feels in her own home. Now, if it was your home that she was doing it in, then I'd say you should speak with her about it and how you're uncomfortable, but since it's HER home, you'll simply have to live with it.

No offense, but I'm a little dismayed by the fact that your parents are supportive of your beliefs, but you seem so genuinely off put by the beliefs they choose to go by in their home.
                        And no, you don't have to choose between being a good christian and a good child. You can sit and listen to your mother's thoughts, smile and nod and be none the worse for the wear.
                        She's not hurting you for being a Christian, correct? You've already stated that your father is not interfering. I'm sure you love your family - and that's all that matters in this situation. Go back on holidays and enjoy them for THEM, not based on what you agree or disagree on.

Comment

Working...
                        X