Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster High Dolls and movies

Hi,

I am so annoyed with children's programming. I live with my parents so I have a hard time taking control over television shows my kids see.. I've wanted to block certain shows but the carriers don't let you block by channel.. you can set a "parental control rating" but that doesn't work for my household because my non-born-again parents still want to see their shows and it can be annoying for them to have to type in a password to watch their shows each time they change the channel.. I get that.. but it still puts the dilemma on me... anyway, I have banned certain shows being watched... that said, monster high and a hand ful of other shows that I dno't like but are not "as bad" as the other shows have snuck in there... honestly the majority of the shows are so rotten that I almost feel like there is barely any good programming for them to watch.. my eldest is getting too old for a lot of the babyish ones I liked her watching before... she is a tween now... anyway, I have talked with her about me not like monster high.... I keep trying to tell her spiritual truth but I don't want to turn her off.. she already is getting the impression her mother is a Jesus-freak that sometimes banns things... I don't have another parental figure that can back me up biblically in the house so I am very alone..

I'm just frustrated... I feel on one hand it is opening her up to "dark" things.. on the other hand, if I watch things with her and have imput... like "monsters are not real, but the reason I have a hard time with this is because satan is very real and God says to have nothing to do with ghosts".... the show has a lot of boyfriend/girlfriend drama... which I say, "they're too young because you have a boyfriend when you are starting to look for someone to marry and in highschool you aren't looking for someone to marry yet" - this of course is over the top but she is young and doesn't have a mental grasp on this yet... I continually have conversations about temptations etc with her and will probably evaluate and make hard-drawn lines up about dating when we enter highschool and she understands the birds-and-bees and the reasons behind waiting, etc.. as of now, it's just a conversation starter...

I'm just frustrated and confused as a parent on what is best for my babies.. I want her to have biblical truth without goign into overkill and turning her off completely from the truth.. since I'm the only one in her life that is really able to give her it

Re: Monster High Dolls and movies

I haven't seen Monster High, but I saw the original movie Monsters Inc. by Pixar - I'm not sure what you find wrong with the movies (assuming nothing has drastically changed in the sequel). It is based on fictional cartoon characters, not actual mythological creatures or demons or ghosts. It's of the same nature as Toy Story, Cars, Finding Nemo, and Wall-E. The moral of Monsters to children is essentially that you can stand up to your fears. In the original at least, there were absolutely no sexual innuendoes and the only relationship was intentionally silly and underplayed.

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with the movie for children. There are jokes directed at adults, but it has more to do with government, the economy, and being a parent. If you have seen Toy Story or Up without issue, I'd say you shouldn't have a problem with Monsters either. I do not believe any child would assume the Bible is fiction based on an unrelated Pixar movie any more than inanimate objects can come alive (with parental guidance); however, if you are firmly grounded in this position, then simply specifying that demons are very real while monsters are not should be enough. But again, I don't see how a kid could make that connection from the movie alone, especially if you have been teaching them that the Bible is factual and that movies/TV is fake.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

Monster's Inc. and Monsters High are two very different shows unrelated to each other. Aviyah you may be thinking of Monster's University which is the sequel for Monster's Inc. Monster's High is a show with vampires, werewolves, mummies, etc.
      "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
      C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
      "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
      "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
      "Our Hope is unchanged"
      "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Comment

yeah, they are very different.. I don't have a problem at all with monsters the movie.. the Monsters High show seems like it gets into a little darker things that I feel uneasy about... I said to my daughter, look I know you like "Frankie-stein" and "DraculLaura" and I understand.. I don't mind most of their clothing (although it is a bit short and I don't like the mid-drifts showing which I have said to my daughter) but I try to stay positive and say, well the styles (except for some being a bit short, aren't that bad)... then we talk about the boy-stuff that it is heavy into... I told her, I don't want you to dress like a dead-person for halloween.. I just would hate to see you dressed like that even if it is for halloween..

she wants the dolls and is saving money to buy herself some... then there is a "monster making kit"... it has body parts you can put fake tatoos on and put together your own monster doll one decaptited head, arm and leg at a time.... I keep saying that I don't like the "yucky tattoos" like the stitches in the face and stuff but I am not opposed to cute heart fake tattos on these barbie dolls.. just not a fan of the "gross" stitches, etc. aspect of it... just makes me uneasy

Comment

Originally posted by Old man View Post
          Monster's Inc. and Monsters High are two very different shows unrelated to each other. Aviyah you may be thinking of Monster's University which is the sequel for Monster's Inc. Monster's High is a show with vampires, werewolves, mummies, etc.
          OHHHH my bad. Yeah never seen Monster's High then and not fond of vampires/werewolves. Now I see your point, ristenk.
          「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
          撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

just bumping this looking for some thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by ristenk View Post
              just bumping this looking for some thoughts
              I can’t speak from experience with this show because we don’t watch it. Although my daughter goes to a private Christian school many of the kids (mostly girls) in her class love the show. But you are very correct … it is a “dark” , “dark” show.

I still am not clear on why you cannot simply say no to her watching the show? Do your parents watch it as well?

Perhaps you can have DVD’s options they can watch instead when the show comes on.

Or if you cannot avoid the show make an agreement with her that before she is allowed to watch it and after it is over she gets to pray with you.

As far as the holloween thing goes there are some very gross things in the Bible she can dress as but they come with a great testimony of God’s mercy, grace and forgiveness. Such as Jonah freshly regurgitated on the beach after God gives Him a second chance. Job as he sits in ashes with boils enduring the testing of His faith (which God would not have allowed if Job could not handle it) God will not allow us to be tested beyond what we are able to endure. Then there is Lazarus freshly raised from the dead by the One who is the Resurrection and the Life, still in his grave clothes. All these are very seemingly gross and appealing to the youths of today yet all with a very powerful Godly message and perhaps a chance to witness Gods greatness.

There are probably other biblical examples I just haven't looked.
              "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
              C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
              "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
              "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
              "Our Hope is unchanged"
              "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Old man View Post
                I can’t speak from experience with this show because we don’t watch it. Although my daughter goes to a private Christian school many of the kids (mostly girls) in her class love the show. But you are very correct … it is a “dark” , “dark” show.

I still am not clear on why you cannot simply say no to her watching the show? Do your parents watch it as well?

Perhaps you can have DVD’s options they can watch instead when the show comes on.

Or if you cannot avoid the show make an agreement with her that before she is allowed to watch it and after it is over she gets to pray with you.

As far as the holloween thing goes there are some very gross things in the Bible she can dress as but they come with a great testimony of God’s mercy, grace and forgiveness. Such as Jonah freshly regurgitated on the beach after God gives Him a second chance. Job as he sits in ashes with boils enduring the testing of His faith (which God would not have allowed if Job could not handle it) God will not allow us to be tested beyond what we are able to endure. Then there is Lazarus freshly raised from the dead by the One who is the Resurrection and the Life, still in his grave clothes. All these are very seemingly gross and appealing to the youths of today yet all with a very powerful Godly message and perhaps a chance to witness Gods greatness.

There are probably other biblical examples I just haven't looked.
                Thanks for your help

Comment

I can share with you how it works in my house.
                  My parents actually don't much care how people do it in other homes. Jesus is Lord and my dad says the bible is very clear about what is acceptable.

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phil 4:8

If we are watching something, my dad will ask...does this follow P48? Of course we know by now what that means.

We aren't allowed to watch things that are evil...witchcraft, vampires etc. We aren't allowed to watch shows where children are being dishonouring to adults. My parents don't actually have lists...but over time, we have learned to ask if what we are watching or listening to is worth our valuable time.

If your daughter sees you as a Jesus freak then correct her perception and make it a positive thing. Being a Jesus freak is pretty awesome in my opinion. Jesus is awesome!!
                  Ask her some questions....
                  Honey, if Jesus was sitting beside you, would you want him to watch this with you? What would Jesus think?
                  Another idea is to watch the shows with her and ask her questions...use some teachable moments...talk about boy/girls stuff on the show. My mom has done that. Sometimes instead of out and out banning the show...YOU can show the ridiculousness of it to children and they soon become turned off as well.
                  sigpic
                  Love and chocolate,

Hannah

Comment

Originally posted by Hannah:) View Post
                    I can share with you how it works in my house.
                    My parents actually don't much care how people do it in other homes. Jesus is Lord and my dad says the bible is very clear about what is acceptable.

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phil 4:8

If we are watching something, my dad will ask...does this follow P48? Of course we know by now what that means.

We aren't allowed to watch things that are evil...witchcraft, vampires etc. We aren't allowed to watch shows where children are being dishonouring to adults. My parents don't actually have lists...but over time, we have learned to ask if what we are watching or listening to is worth our valuable time.

If your daughter sees you as a Jesus freak then correct her perception and make it a positive thing. Being a Jesus freak is pretty awesome in my opinion. Jesus is awesome!!
                    Ask her some questions....
                    Honey, if Jesus was sitting beside you, would you want him to watch this with you? What would Jesus think?
                    Another idea is to watch the shows with her and ask her questions...use some teachable moments...talk about boy/girls stuff on the show. My mom has done that. Sometimes instead of out and out banning the show...YOU can show the ridiculousness of it to children and they soon become turned off as well.
                    Thanks Hannah

Comment

Working...
                    X