How to Care for a Wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Care for a Wife

Some men consider their duty to their family in the same way an officer in the Army considers his men. Once they have been provided food, shelter, and equipment, the job is done. While there are many wives that would would be grateful if even this minimum standard was achieved, there are many more that fervently pray that their husbands would learn to provide them that for which they hunger.

If one examines the discontent of feminists, it seems to boil down to the fact that men are not women. Men might benefit from remembering also that women are not men. One example of this difference can be seen with the use of language in a marital dispute. A man can be disoriented by a wife who declares things that do not seem rational or logical. He needs to understand that words can be selected to convey feelings more than accuracy. If the husband fails to translate the words, “You never give me anything” into the phrase, “It feels like you never have time for me or show me any affection”, he might end up chasing a phantom argument about purchases or gifts that makes his wife even more frustrated and distant.

The TV show “All in the family" once had the character Archie Bunker tell his wife, “I told you I loved you when we got married. If anything changes, I’ll let you know”. That scene captured the all too often disconnect men have regarding the need women have for constant affection, assurance, and affirmation. Men who fail to provide their wives with this essential emotional nutrient may find that their wives turn elsewhere, become resentful, or even show signs of anxiety and depression.

It is understandable that those who are not Christian might suffer from the marital discord that Satan seeks to achieve through his general sabotage of the relationships between men and women. It is tragic when this effects Christians. Christians have the opportunity to walk by the Spirit of truth, receive wisdom and discernment from God, and sublimate the selfishness of the flesh which poisons and corrupts relationships and instead walk by the Spirit which in turn can result in a depth of loving relationship that can only be imaged by those in the world.

The promises of God are not idealistic, metaphorical, or illusionary. When Jesus tells us that he wants us to share in his joy and that it should be complete, it is not just a vague reference to some future state. If a Christian today falls short of the joy Jesus describes and is missing the happiness that he should have in his life, he should grab ahold of an older wiser Christian who has this joy and knows this love and ask him how he can get it for himself.

One problem Christians have today is that we have become so ensnared in the world and distant from our Savior, his words seem alien to us, his voice faint, and his promises unfulfilled. It is a shame to see a Christian living in abject spiritual poverty. Satan wants us to live in defeat. Jesus would have us full of his joy and a shining light to the world as a testimony to his love and truth. The Bible promises wisdom to all who ask. Christian husbands who fail to take advantage of this promise from God, may find that they end up “starving” their wives and making their home less a haven from a heartless world and more a battleground.

Re: How to Care for a Wife

Ephesians 5:26 - Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her. That goes much more beyond simply taking care of her basic needs.
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Comment

Working...
    X