Lost Loved Ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Loved Ones

My 28 year old son has been out of church, not serving God for a number of years. We raised him in church, but he chose to leave rather than get in. He has experienced a lot of loss in his life. Our area has been hit hard by heroin and my son has lost several friends and classmates to heroin overdoses, including a best friend that he has known from church as long as he can remember. He lost a friend to suicide and another to a heart attack. He struggles with where God is in all of this. He has reasoned some things in the Bible that fit what he wants to believe, not what the Bible tells us. My husband and I have cried and prayed for this son. We know we taught him to serve God, though I would have taught him so much more about the teachings of the Bible if I had it to do over again. We cling to Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

That son came to church this morning. My husband asked and he came without having to talk him into it. My husband told him there would be an egg hunt for the children, so I am not sure if that prompted him to come, or if he truly wanted to be there. He usually will not come. He really seemed to be actively listening during Sunday school and during the preached message. He even sang during congregational singing. We tried not to be overbearing, but we both peaked to see that he did pray.

Only one of my four children are in church right now. She goes to a different church with her family, but her intention is to live for the Lord. It is a burden that three of our four children are out of church. I've gone so far as to tell them that I don't care if they go to a different church if that's what they want. Our greatest desire for them is that they accept the Lord Jesus as their savior and live for the Lord.

I don't know why I'm sharing. Maybe because this is not unusual today, so others here are experiencing similar. Maybe its because I'm encouraged by my son coming to church.

Re: Lost Loved Ones

May be you need to go to a church that teaches rightly dividing Gods word ?

In other words........ Now at this time we are Gentiles and the bible reads different
    ['" for this time - years."] and preachers teach wrong at some churches. ( "Some think the old testament is all for us and only part is....")

Our time is now in Romans - Philemon........... we need to let them the lost know how much pain Jesus had for our sins.....

And we should all understand the knowledge of this for us........... We could never with stand doing that pain............

Jesus did so much for us and we all need to understand this ...... !!!!!!!

ONE LAST THING.................. THE WHOLE BIBLE IS FOR US............... BUT NOT TO US.................!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Eph. 2:8
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Comment

Originally posted by Twin2 View Post
      My 28 year old son has been out of church, not serving God for a number of years. We raised him in church, but he chose to leave rather than get in. He has experienced a lot of loss in his life. Our area has been hit hard by heroin and my son has lost several friends and classmates to heroin overdoses, including a best friend that he has known from church as long as he can remember. He lost a friend to suicide and another to a heart attack. He struggles with where God is in all of this. He has reasoned some things in the Bible that fit what he wants to believe, not what the Bible tells us. My husband and I have cried and prayed for this son. We know we taught him to serve God, though I would have taught him so much more about the teachings of the Bible if I had it to do over again. We cling to Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

That son came to church this morning. My husband asked and he came without having to talk him into it. My husband told him there would be an egg hunt for the children, so I am not sure if that prompted him to come, or if he truly wanted to be there. He usually will not come. He really seemed to be actively listening during Sunday school and during the preached message. He even sang during congregational singing. We tried not to be overbearing, but we both peaked to see that he did pray.

Only one of my four children are in church right now. She goes to a different church with her family, but her intention is to live for the Lord. It is a burden that three of our four children are out of church. I've gone so far as to tell them that I don't care if they go to a different church if that's what they want. Our greatest desire for them is that they accept the Lord Jesus as their savior and live for the Lord.

I don't know why I'm sharing. Maybe because this is not unusual today, so others here are experiencing similar. Maybe its because I'm encouraged by my son coming to church.
      Hey girl,

All you can do is your best. You teach them as you did and at some age they have to make the chocie themselves. You can talk with them and try to lead them to Christ by example, but sometimes they have to make their own mistakes before returning to Him, maybe that's what your son is doing now, seeking comfort by His Father....

I come from a Christian family. I was raised as a Christian by my parents and grandparents. I was very unhappy but at some point I was the one who did confirmation in church, not my brother who was struggling with believing at that time (I was abou 19, he was about 17 at the time). After that due to a very unhappy abusive marriage at first I turned away from the Lord, only to return again to Him shortly more on fire than ever. Long story short, I am now a very solid Christian, married again to a very solid Christian husband. My brother is mad at God because our mother died 3 1/2 years ago and broke off all contact with us. He once told me he was jealous seeing me and hubby so faithful and having a Father and faith to cling to, and to my answer that is was not exclusively for us but it could be his too, he shook his head saying that was not for him. Sometimes unbelievers seem to think that we have a boss over us and we have to do what He wants from us, instead of having a loving Father who we want to follow...... A few years later my parents became universalists and did not believe anymore that they needed Jesus to go to Heaven or in this life, gave away everything that remeinded them of Christianity in their house, from Bibles to pictures of praying hands and a cross on their wall to us. I had them up for a while but put them down some time later as it reminded me too much of the wrong direction they were going in. I did not want to mix good memories of that picture mingled with bad ones. My mom died 3 1/2 years ago on 2nd Christmas Day and my only hope is that she changed her mind before she died. My father became a very bitter man, didn't want to have to do anything with faith anymore and eventually not with us either (basically he wants healthy children and I am certainly not healthy as I am handicapped and so is Charles) so he broke off contact. We have moved on since then (last August) and pray for him to come to Christ again like he was when we were little, and for my brother also. I assume that if and when that happens, I will hear it from them. If not I'll just keep on praying.

Love you lots,
      Mieke
      Glorious Day
      Living He loved me
      Dying He saved me
      Buried He carried my sins far away
      Risen He justified
      Freely forever
      One day He's coming
      Oh Glorious Day!

Casting Crowns

Comment

HE GOT SAVED!!! MY SON GOT SAVED!!!

My son told me that he began praying about it at the Easter service he attended at our church, the same church he was raised in. He told me Saturday that he was planning to go to church Sunday with a friend he met at our church when they were teens. This friend often visited with a friend whose family were members at our church. He said he visited the church Friday night at a youth service, but there were lots of people there his age, and he really liked being there. He and I talked last night. He went to both Sunday morning and evening services there and said he wants to get involved in some of the fellowship activities.

I couldn't help myself, I had to ask, "Did he get saved?" He said he did and I believe its for real. He assured me that it is. We talked about the Holy Spirit and some of what the Bible says. He APOLOGIZED for causing me worry and THANKED me for not giving up on him. We learned some things about one another since he walked away from the church as a teen. I am just in awe and can't praise the Lord enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Twin2 View Post
          HE GOT SAVED!!! MY SON GOT SAVED!!!

My son told me that he began praying about it at the Easter service he attended at our church, the same church he was raised in. He told me Saturday that he was planning to go to church Sunday with a friend he met at our church when they were teens. This friend often visited with a friend whose family were members at our church. He said he visited the church Friday night at a youth service, but there were lots of people there his age, and he really liked being there. He and I talked last night. He went to both Sunday morning and evening services there and said he wants to get involved in some of the fellowship activities.

I couldn't help myself, I had to ask, "Did he get saved?" He said he did and I believe its for real. He assured me that it is. We talked about the Holy Spirit and some of what the Bible says. He APOLOGIZED for causing me worry and THANKED me for not giving up on him. We learned some things about one another since he walked away from the church as a teen. I am just in awe and can't praise the Lord enough.
          Praise God!!! So very happy for you!

Love you lots,
          Mieke
          Glorious Day
          Living He loved me
          Dying He saved me
          Buried He carried my sins far away
          Risen He justified
          Freely forever
          One day He's coming
          Oh Glorious Day!

Casting Crowns

Comment

If you are praying for a lost loved one, please don't give up on them. So far, it seems my son is really in this time. He has been attending services at his new church, along with fellowship activities. He and I have been texting and he shares clips from the preaching at his church, or messages he has heard. He shares songs that are helping him, or just plain resonate with him. He bought his girlfriend a dress and took her to church with him. He has been talking to her about the Lord. She says she will do what he wants, but it doesn't seem that she really wants this like he does. She wants my son and wants to please him. I told him to be patient and keep praying. She is really just learning of the Lord, so she just isn't ready. It has been so good, so wonderful this change in my son.

Miepie, thanks for praising the Lord with me over my son!

Comment

Twin2

Twin2 is offline Veteran

I WOULD IMAGINE YOU ARE STILL FEELING THE GREATNESS OF THIS ALL !

And will continues for some time........ What relief for you ............ GOD Bless YOU and you child !
              Eph. 2:8
              For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
              9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Comment

Working...
              X