Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special Ed -- any negative/positive experiences with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Ed -- any negative/positive experiences with it?

I've really surprised myself lately. I'm at the end of the 5th week of a placement in a school.... and even though I like communicating with the students, and I love seeing the learning that can happen, every morning I spend first period with a special education class.... and that's where my heart is. I never really fully considered that. I always thought that it could be an option.... but now, it's just about all I want to do. My heart's with those kids and when my placement's done, it'll be that class I think I'll miss the most. They're silly, with good senses of humour. They're inquisitive, caring, and completely themselves in a remarkably unguarded way. There are behaviour challenges, sure -- but when are humans ever perfectly good? Never.

I certainly wouldn't MIND teaching a subject-specific classroom, at ALL..... but I want to take extra courses that will let me teach special ed kids. And they really are special... they have so many great dreams for the future. So I feel like I have a new career focus that might definitely be a possibility. I know it takes a lot of patience, and a lot of time, and a lot of dedication.... but I'd embrace that. Supporting kids who need extra attention and love is what I want to focus on. There's a program at the school I'm in now, I'll call the group "The Amigos" (they have another name).... and they truly have an AWESOME community built around the kids in this group. It's inspired me.

So I was wondering.... what are your experiences with special ed? As a parent, what are your thoughts on it, ie, experiences you've had with your child's teachers? As a teacher, do you have a special ed program in your school, and do you have certain ideas about it that you'd like to share? Any thoughts, experiences, etc..... all are appreciated.
    -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
    It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
    So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
    We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
    Warren Barfield

My eldest son is in special ed in high school and I can't speak highly enough of the teachers at his school in this department. They are there to help him with his work when I can't because I'm not trained to teach him, nothing is a problem for them, I just pick up the phone and communicate with them what the problem is and they attend to it straight away. They are an awesome team of teachers who all work together for the good of every student as an individual. I know they work longer hours because of being in special ed, so dedication and a calling would be a must, but they would get more of a sense of personal satisfaction as their students achieve in life. They are able to build relationships with their students as opposed to just seeing them in a one off class, they are highly involved in the whole life of the student. I can't say enough good about the effort time they put in and the true passion they all have for this line of work. They even go out of their way to listen to an emotional parent!! So it truly is a multi facetted job that you would be taking on! If variety is what you are looking for, with kids who strive to achieve to be their best and break through barriers all the time, then you've found yourself a great place to learn and continually grow.

God bless you in your endeavour, Soulangel
    sigpic
    1 Cor 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Lord, help me to do great things as though they were little, since I do them with your power;
    and little things as though they were great, since I do them in your name. Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Soulangel View Post
      My eldest son is in special ed in high school and I can't speak highly enough of the teachers at his school in this department. They are there to help him with his work when I can't because I'm not trained to teach him, nothing is a problem for them, I just pick up the phone and communicate with them what the problem is and they attend to it straight away. They are an awesome team of teachers who all work together for the good of every student as an individual. I know they work longer hours because of being in special ed, so dedication and a calling would be a must, but they would get more of a sense of personal satisfaction as their students achieve in life. They are able to build relationships with their students as opposed to just seeing them in a one off class, they are highly involved in the whole life of the student. I can't say enough good about the effort time they put in and the true passion they all have for this line of work. They even go out of their way to listen to an emotional parent!! So it truly is a multi facetted job that you would be taking on! If variety is what you are looking for, with kids who strive to achieve to be their best and break through barriers all the time, then you've found yourself a great place to learn and continually grow.

God bless you in your endeavour, Soulangel
      This has been my experience as well!

It really helps when the child is encouraged and motivated. My 18 year old daughter has been in special ed since we adopted her at age 8. She has lagged behind her peers, but she does eventually get it! She has had such wonderful, encouraging teachers who have taught some things in ways that she has understood and have really motivated her to keep pushing, keep learning, never give up - but she has had to work hard. So it is such a combination of teacher, student, home....it really does take a village to raise a child!
      Come unto me all that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Comment

Hi CC, I was a teacher, but I never taught special ed myself nor had a child in that but my experiences with special ed children and adults in my church service over the years has been good.

Be sure to pray about this because it sure sounds like you may have a real aptitude and possibly a "call" for this wonderful work with special ed kids. Time should make it even clearer for you.

Two of my great nieces (in their forties now) teach special ed and now have earned Master's in that field. Just so you won't think I am too ancient..their dad, my nephew, is close to my age so they are both close to the age or older than my own children. They love it!

I am glad you are having such a wonderful and worthwhile experience in what you are learning now.

God is certainly in this and with you.

owl...
        "The flowers appear on the earth,
        the time of singing has come,
        and the voice of the turtledove
        is heard in our land
        ." SofS 2:12 (RSV)

Comment

Working...
        X