X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flashlight222
    replied
    Re: Public, Private, or Homeschool?

I think choosing a school for children needs to be done with much prayer and devotion, whether single or married. My two oldest children were in public school, my oldest for 7 years, my second born for 3 years. My two youngest never attended public school. The public school knew my children were Christian and I had very few problems. We enjoyed homeschooling much more, though there are a few things I would have done differently if I did it again. Homeschooling takes much diligence, but it is worth every minute of it. My children are raised now mostly and my home education days are at a standstill. Now it sort of feels like empty nest syndrome though 3 out of 4 still live with me. I did all of it alone with no husband involvement, because he was not interested in it, but it was the best days of my life thus far. Whatever you choose, seek God's will in it and guidance
    God bless.

Leave a comment:

• psyche643
    replied

It's a good question, and clearly there are lots of strong feelings behind it! There are horror stories and success stories behind all three options!

I was home schooled for elementary, junior high, and high school. I hope to home school my kids the way my mom did me. In response to the typical "what about social needs" fear, I echo what many others said about extracurricular activities. And in response to the typical "I don't want my kids sheltered from the real world" fear, I will say my mom definitely did not shelter us. She educated us on all kinds of sin so that we'd recognize it as such! As a result, I certainly felt more prepared to deal with the world from a Christian perspective.

I hope to home school, but I won't be dogmatic about it, for two reasons:

1. Every kid is different. I thrived on home school; my sister did not. She was an absolute terror, disruptive to our family, and even my mom agrees that it would have been better to allow her to attend a public or private school. Maybe my child will have a learning disability. Maybe she will have behavior problems. I hope to home school, but if it becomes clear that another option is better, I will take it.

2. I may not always be able to home school. I take medication for an anxiety disorder and for bipolar disorder. I am in the process of finding treatment for near-constant migraines, which just made me lose my job. Between mental and physical health issues, it's crazy for me to vow I will only ever home school!

Leave a comment:

• jayne
    replied

I've said it before and I will say it again.

Every one who parents a child has a responsibility - not a right - to seek God's will in how they will educate their children.

For some that means public school or charter school, for others it means Christian/private school or homeschool. Many times, it means a combination of different schools.

But that's not the end of story!

Once the decision has been made - the parent has another obligation to jump in HEADFIRST into that school system, beit public or private, and to become an active partner in their child's education.

I'm 51 years old and in the past 30 years, I've done it all - literally. Public school, private school, Christian school, tutoring homeschoolers, and now - a charter school. There is good and bad to say about it all.

And for those who are quick to lay scorn at the feet of public schools - please be careful. I don't say this lightly. The worst years I ever had as far as foul-mouthed students and students who were sexually experimental with no regard for discipline, Christ, or their elders were the four years that I spent at two different Christian schools.

Beware what doctrine that they are teaching your children. I was amazed at Christian people who just dropped their children off at the door and never asked, "What are you teaching my children?" I taught the Bible for 4 years and conducted chapel for 4th-6th graders for 4 years and no one ever once came to me and asked me just what doctrine that I was teaching. Not a parent - not an administrator - not a co-worker - no one.

And please watch out for administrators who are good and decent Christian people, but who are not educators, and who are too afraid to discipline children for fear of losing out on that tuition money. And please, please investigate the curriculums that they use! Especially the science, Bible, and history curriculums.

Just because a child wears a uniform with "Christian" stitched onto his or her shirt doesn't guarantee his or her salvation nor their santification.

A poor Christian school can be just as destructive as a poor public school - and in my opinion, even worse.

Use your good judgment as parents, take an active role with whatever type of school you choose, and be vigilant about your child.

Leave a comment:

• TravelingFurHunter
    replied

I think homeschooling is best, because the Mother spends time with the children, the children are not taught wrong things at a school, and the Mother can teach them what she wants.

Leave a comment:

• -SEEKING-
    replied

I had my first child in private school, but once the second came around, I just couldn't afford it anymore. But we did find a great charter school. At the end of the day, the parents will make the most impact on thier own children.

Leave a comment:

• Holy 7
    replied

I must say if I ever have a child, I will do my utmost best to get him or her in a private school.

I absolutely DO NOT want my child going through what I went through, from head start to high school, from the bus to the cafeteria.

Private school is the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• Ninna
    replied

Originally posted by sonyasayshello View Post
    Hello,

This is a good question. All three schools for my children! Natasha is my public school middle school daughter. Ilya is my public elementary school son. However, all the children, "Home School"!

My 3 little girls are named Ava, Tahira, Matryona. They are 5, 3 and 2. I teach them during the day. We read books. I read aloud, and you can read out loud with Ava. We sound out words. We have to learn English and other languages and we learn them with the alphabet songs to sing. We are studying the numbers. Maybe we can use apples. I cut up apples into slices. How many slices? What are the numbers? If we eat some apple slices! Now what? Count again.

We have to go outside so we have science. This is "home school" science. This was the insect. How many legs? What names for those flowers? Poems about the nature of myth, and I tell them. God has made the beauty we see. They learn behavior. Sharing. Turns. They learn responsibility. After lunch and breakfast Ava is washing cups. Tahira puts on the table spoons. Matryona cleans up some of the toys selected. Good skills.

For the weekend "home school" for all. This is done away from home. We go to the museum. Study of art. Go fishing on the lake and bookstore for more information. Children to help cook dinner and snacks all the time. They learn the art. We read the Bible. My husband will be able to read the Qur'an to them. They learn the words of books in my Bible and his Qur'an. We play flashcards. Homework time, everyone at the table to help children get the education.

Sunday morning is a special school. Sunday school. They learn of God and study Bible. That is the private school. They get Christian education.
    I like this! Thank you.

Welcome to the board, by the way.

Leave a comment:

• sonyasayshello
    replied

Hello,

This is a good question. All three schools for my children! Natasha is my public school middle school daughter. Ilya is my public elementary school son. However, all the children, "Home School"!

My 3 little girls are named Ava, Tahira, Matryona. They are 5, 3 and 2. I teach them during the day. We read books. I read aloud, and you can read out loud with Ava. We sound out words. We have to learn English and other languages and we learn them with the alphabet songs to sing. We are studying the numbers. Maybe we can use apples. I cut up apples into slices. How many slices? What are the numbers? If we eat some apple slices! Now what? Count again.

We have to go outside so we have science. This is "home school" science. This was the insect. How many legs? What names for those flowers? Poems about the nature of myth, and I tell them. God has made the beauty we see. They learn behavior. Sharing. Turns. They learn responsibility. After lunch and breakfast Ava is washing cups. Tahira puts on the table spoons. Matryona cleans up some of the toys selected. Good skills.

For the weekend "home school" for all. This is done away from home. We go to the museum. Study of art. Go fishing on the lake and bookstore for more information. Children to help cook dinner and snacks all the time. They learn the art. We read the Bible. My husband will be able to read the Qur'an to them. They learn the words of books in my Bible and his Qur'an. We play flashcards. Homework time, everyone at the table to help children get the education.

Sunday morning is a special school. Sunday school. They learn of God and study Bible. That is the private school. They get Christian education.

Leave a comment:

• NewInHim
    replied

We just started preschool at home, and are having fun! It will be at home for us.

Leave a comment:

• Reynolds357
    replied

Originally posted by Momof5 View Post
    And why?

We need to get some activity in the Educating our Children forum!
    If you can afford it Christian School is the way to go. Each public school is different, but around here there are many teachers who are athiests. The text books are most definitely anti-God. The Word of God is quite plain that one who does not believe in God is a fool. I really would have a hard time telling my child "go to school and listen to the fool." "Respect the fool." "Learn from the fool." "Sit under the teaching of the fool and he will make you wise."

Leave a comment:

• Godslittleangel
    replied

Originally posted by Urban Missionary View Post
    I went to a private Christian School with an outstanding reputation and an outrageous tuition to go with it. All students were required to sign a pledge agreeing not to listen to rock and roll music, use tobacco in any form, use drugs in any form, etc. It had a very strict dress code.

I saw more drugs, parties, smoking, rock and roll, etc. in that school than I ever did in public school. I was persecuted more for following Christ than I ever was in public school. It was the most miserable time in my academic life.

My son will go to public school.
    I went to a public school, the only miserable time I had there was middle school. Elementary school I was teased a lot but the teachers were nice and high school was jus cliquey but had good teachers. Middle school was awful, change in everything (consolidated with anoher school and had new classmates, was at a new school in a different town, new teachers). Ad I was harrassed constantly by a girl and cliques started to form. The teachers there had no patience on helping me with my learning problem, they either put me back a level behind my classmates, or got mad at me and told me to go back to my desk. I had 2 teachers there who cared. High school ahd good teacehrs who were patient and willing to help so besides middle school, I had a good experience for the most part.

My brohter played a catholic school and funny thing is you'd never know they were a christian school from what was coming out of the parents, coaches and players mouths. I think that really threw some of the parents on my brother's team off seeing that. Cliques, parties, bulying and all that is everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• teddyv
    replied

Originally posted by Urban Missionary View Post
    I went to a private Christian School with an outstanding reputation and an outrageous tuition to go with it. All students were required to sign a pledge agreeing not to listen to rock and roll music, use tobacco in any form, use drugs in any form, etc. It had a very strict dress code.

I saw more drugs, parties, smoking, rock and roll, etc. in that school than I ever did in public school. I was persecuted more for following Christ than I ever was in public school. It was the most miserable time in my academic life.

I had the option to go to the Christian high school (which was a significant bus ride away) or public high school. All my sisters went to public, so I did the same. From the stories of my friends who went to the Christian high school, there were definitely more behaviour issues there than I ever encountered during my public shool experience (although definitely not to the extent of your story). It may be simply that the public high schools were much larger and therefore it's harder to witness everything going on and you tend to get into you little segment of high school society.

Leave a comment:

• Firefighter
    replied

Leave a comment:

• moonglow
    replied
    Originally posted by canvasjockey View Post
    I think that there's no simple answer, ultimately a parent has to educate themselves about what's available and what will be a good fit for their child, and be prepared to be involved as much as possible.

I went the public school route with our kids, luckily we have open enrollment - which means as long as you can provide transportation you can apply for them to get in any school in the district (I think now it's even cross-districts).

Our district is not great overall, but I was able to navigate my kids through the bright spots. My daughter even got into the district's version of a college prep school... it's one of only 2 High School's in Arizona ranked in the top 25 in the US (by US News and World Report).

It was a great school for academics but tended to have a liberal lean and was somewhat anti-religion. Ironically I felt she thrived and actually learned how to be an individual, able to go against the flow of common opinion. My daughter just started college this week (all paid for) and she's pretty comfortable and familiar with being her own person, and for that I'm so thankful!

My son is in the nearby district HS, and he's also doing well. He's very involved in the high school group at our church which includes a lot of his classmates, and seems to also have a good sense of self and be enjoying his experience.

I've heard mixed reviews of our local private and religious schools from various people. My sister had a ton of problems with the catholic school she started her kids in. After a change they did OK at what was the most expensive private (non-religious) school in town. Then they moved to Montana where the all the public schools were better than the private school they had been going to here ! Her kids finally thrived in school!

Then there's my cousin who lives in a small town, the local school district is small and poorly run, on top of that they live about 30-40 minutes out of town... so homeschooling seemed the best option, and that's worked well for her.

It's all about investigating the options and finding the right path for your children.
    That was an excellent post and I totally agree. Not everyone can or wants to home school...nor does that fit for every child. Not every child can handle public school either and needs something else..private or home school. Its what fits for that child.

I got upset when in the past on here anyway, the home schoolers would badger us that didn't home school and really lay on the guilt trips.. I had some bad arguments with some of them I am afraid. Really lost my temper with them over the lack of understanding why it didn't work for us. There is a down side to being home schooled, just as their is a down side to private or public schools. Nothing is going to be perfect all the time because we live in a fallen world.

canvasjockey made me remember a few things I forgot to mention before. Down side to the school my son is at now is they really push after school activities (though alot actually takes place before school..lol) Band, choir, sports..and the kids are awarded at the end of the year for all this other stuff..not for good grades or excelling in certain classes (though their names are listed each nine weeks who made the honor roll) but that is it. I am very discouraged by that actually in a time when education is slipping...it seems it should be the other way around. (used to be when I was in school anyway). I don't see any of these activities helping my son get a job/career later in life let alone prepare him to college which I am really hoping he goes too.

He excels in science and I think has a real talent for that and I would like his goals to be set toward something in the science field but the school needs to encourage that too..not just the parents. Last year was the first year they did state testing in science and his score was very high...but they didn't break it down as much as they did with reading and math where they showed the strengths and weakness as if its not quite as important as those two other subjects.

I know many parents feel their kids need to be involved in after school activities for all sorts of reasons and if he wants to do something he can...but frankly I don't push it. I want him to have time to get his homework done and not be stressed and having to stay up late to do it because he was at some game. I feel the actual education is much, much more important then these other things.

On the up side though I went to the parent meeting the other evening where we follow our kids class schedules and go to each of their classes. The teachers though have a limited amount of time to explain what they are teaching, their grading system and so forth. I have to say I was excited! "I" wanted to do all this stuff the kids were going to be doing! I was impressed and very enthused. I can't say I ever felt that way about school either... Here I am almost 50 and wishing I could take some of these classes..lol. (and no one suggest college to me! Been there done that! lol).

The teachers are relaxed and content and very open and caring about the kids. Totally the opposite of the teachers in grade school... They just made everything sound so great! Oh and many of them are Christians. Alot of them have been all through his school years and they talk openingly about their faith..especially to any of the kids that say they are Christians too.

God bless

Leave a comment:

• militarywife
    replied

Our children went to public school and carried Jesus along with them!! We could not afford private school and I was not confident enough to homeschool. I personally felt like homeschooling would shelter them too much from the reality of the "battleground" we live in. All in all, I feel public school did help my children to become aware of the realities in the world and to better deal with real life situations at hand. They both graduated and have been successful in their pursuits thus far. Thank you God!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X