cyber school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cyber school

I have a fifteen year old pressing to do cyber for a year because of a family situation. It would only be for a year until she goes back to the school where she now lives. I lean toward her enrolling in the school where she would be for that year to continue her involvement with activities, which do not stop, but she doesn't want to engage in meeting a whole new crowd of people then leave. There is more to the story but, What do you all think about this cyber school stuff?

Re: cyber school

Originally posted by carboy View Post
    I have a fifteen year old pressing to do cyber for a year because of a family situation. It would only be for a year until she goes back to the school where she now lives. I lean toward her enrolling in the school where she would be for that year to continue her involvement with activities, which do not stop, but she doesn't want to engage in meeting a whole new crowd of people then leave. There is more to the story but, What do you all think about this cyber school stuff?
    My son was in cybe-school for two years (Jr. High years). We had found a good Christian school based in Florida. We live in California. (He can say that he went to out of state school LOL). We had to take him out of school here due to an illness he had.

If your child is not self motivated don’t do it. It is hard. It is not as easy as the many advertisements depict it to be. Doing school on line is a good opportunity for them to get lazy since they are at home and have all day and weekends to get it done and turned in (which for some reason even with the extra time the work still doesn’t get done.) I had to ride my son relentlessly to get him to do the work and turn it in.

After two years of school on his own essentially he had trouble getting back into a regular school this last year. I actually thought he would be held back. He was just lazy. He had to do summer school to make up his grades. Prayerfully he will be back to normal this coming year now that he has a taste for what will be expected of him.

Again if your child is not self motivated and diligent this may be the worst year for her and you. There has to be a certain level of maturity to make it work.

That being said I was relatively pleased with the school itself (there were a few issues though.) We had my son enrolled in a private Christian school here locally before his illness and the online school curriculum was way better, especially in the biblical studies …. way better. Now if he had not been so lazy it would have been a good experience for him and myself.
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Comment

I am not sure I understand your post. Where and why would she meet new people then leave? If bullying is going on..or something that would cause her great anxiety by going to school then yea, check into this. But Old Man is right..its very hard! While I have heard some parents saying it takes their kids no time to get the work done, I don't see how that is possible. We tried this last year and having never done it before, it was very confusing. It didn't help we kept losing our internet. (over and over again!) so that got him behind right off the bat. Plus basically he was expected to sit on his computer for six plus hours a day and his back couldn't take sitting like that...even with many breaks which just made the day longer. Many of the sites weren't up to date, then he had to email the teachers and wait for a reply and for the site to be fixed (many only checked their emails once a day). Trying to get assignments done weren't explained well at all and just so much time wasted on just trying to figure out HOW to do something. If he had started this in grade school and continued through the higher grades, I am sure we would have understood how things worked and it wouldn't have been so hard. He got further and further behind and finally gave up altogether. Still I would not put him back in his old school where I knew he was being bullied. In the end he decided to take GED classes at the local college and got his GED. Now if he want to take some college classes he can, or just work. He did get a job and is working. He is smart and made good grades..but the schools are out of control with bullies now.

There are different types of on line schools now..some are run by local schools where you could probably get more help. We did K12 but had to get out of district for it because no local schools did this. It was very difficult to even get things set up for him to do this. And then like I said, extremely hard to figure out how to do. I couldn't just sit and read on a computer for six hours either... Maybe you can find one that actually makes sense and is up to date and its easier to do. It would have been easier to get the books for each subject that had assignments in them to do and and use pencil, then go through all that complicated stuff.

God bless
      "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was told yesterday by a college prof. that it drives even the most inactive of teens crazy from the inactivity. Unless there is a solid reason, like parents are stationed for a year on a mountain with no school etc., best to stay away. What you have written confirms what she said. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was told yesterday by a college prof. that it drives even the most inactive of teens crazy from the inactivity. Unless there is a solid reason, like parents are stationed for a year on a mountain with no school etc., best to stay away. What you have written confirms what she said. Thanks again.
          That pretty much sums it up...unless of course that teen is really into computer and likes a challenge on how to make something work...like getting their homework on the site! lol Nate was having to take pictures with his phone of some work he did then figuring out how to get it attached and emailed to the teacher. On the Spanish class, I downloaded a program for him to speak into it but couldn't get the file to his teacher, THEN after hours of fooling with that, she tells us they had a program on their he could use...which we never saw... She was very nice though. Like I said, unless a child is raised on these on line computer classes, its just terrible trying to figure out. Plus it was killing Nate's back having to just sit and sit and sit like that. Breaks did not help. He is very physically active...so this was too much for him.

I hope you can figure something out.

God bless
          "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

My stepdaughter just finished a year of school online; a program offered by the state of Ohio. She really likes it, though she did have to work her butt off. She did very well and I can tell you they really worked her and the classes are not the elementary sort. She just got her supplies for when school starts back up and got all the classes she wanted to take.

Based upon what I saw here at home, I think it can be a great way to go.

Comment

Working...
            X