Christian tax dollars should go toward Christian education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Christian tax dollars should go toward Christian education

I have always been amazed that Christians, especially in the south, have not demanded that they be allowed to have vouchers to send their children to what ever school they choose.

If we assume that a public education serves a vital public interest (stated to be beneficial to have a well educated electorate) then the question is how does a government run/controlled monopoly accomplish this task? In reality the means to meet this policy objective is not a monopoly role and while the state may well be necessary to collect the funds, demanding that the funds only be used in the monopolistic system is IMO unconstitutional. Requiring me to educate my children as a state policy issue is fine but what method I choose should be my decision not the state's. Rather than tolerating this lack of choice and (if you home school or private school), pay twice, Christians should be demanding that the states issue vouchers for the cost per student that the stat spends and allow all parents the freedom to use this voucher to place their student in any school they choose.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Christian tax dollars should go toward Christian education

I am not in a US jurisdiction. Where I live, we have what are called 'independent schools'. This includes most Christian (Catholic and Protestant), Sikh, Muslim, Jewish as well as a variety of non-religious prep-type schools. Though the Independent School Act, the government provides 1/2 of the per-student funding to these schools, the remainder which is covered by tuition paid by the parents (some of the elite prep schools, may charge more per-student, but they still only receive the basic 50% student grant). Any capital costs are fully borne by the schools. The schools are also expected to follow the curriculum guidelines to meet the expected student outcomes. These would be the costs of getting the funding, but then they are free to educate within their respective beliefs.

This is quite different from a voucher system that you suggest, but it is a means of affording a level of public support (since all people are paying taxes to the public system) and giving parents a means of choice of education.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

Re: Christian tax dollars should go toward Christian education

Originally posted by teddyv View Post
      I am not in a US jurisdiction. Where I live, we have what are called 'independent schools'. This includes most Christian (Catholic and Protestant), Sikh, Muslim, Jewish as well as a variety of non-religious prep-type schools. Though the Independent School Act, the government provides 1/2 of the per-student funding to these schools, the remainder which is covered by tuition paid by the parents (some of the elite prep schools, may charge more per-student, but they still only receive the basic 50% student grant). Any capital costs are fully borne by the schools. The schools are also expected to follow the curriculum guidelines to meet the expected student outcomes. These would be the costs of getting the funding, but then they are free to educate within their respective beliefs.

This is quite different from a voucher system that you suggest, but it is a means of affording a level of public support (since all people are paying taxes to the public system) and giving parents a means of choice of education.
      Yes it is but does provide a better opportunity for real choice in schooling. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
      X