God wants DISCIPLES - not passive "believers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God wants DISCIPLES - not passive "believers"

At the end of Matthew's gospel, the Great Commission is where Jesus tells the disciples He wants them to go out and make DISCIPLES of all nations - yet we so often just try and get people to believe and move on when they do to the next people. But is that the calling of God? Might we want to look at our lives and make sure that we are constantly learning and growing as the disciples were?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31drI9yZmHc&t=73s

I haven't watched the video, but your post is exactly correct. Disciples are more than believers. They become like their teacher and they "go"...this is a huge focus at my church and i am so blessed to be a part of this great move of God happening there. People aren't just filling up with knowledge and doing nothing with it. We are reading and obeying. We are fasting, praying and listening. We are humbling ourselves and submitting to God's good and perfect will. We seek His face to know Him, we desire to do His will and glorify our Lord's beautiful Name.
    Discipleship is a journey, a growing process and it is so good when done with the body of Christ around you. It's hard at times...and at times it is so sweet...but in all of this, we are made so very rich through it!
    Dig deeper, listen and obey. You'll know Jesus more intimately and love Him more passionately.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

speedyj, couldn't agree more. I think a lot of people recognize this. But how do we implement it?

Saved7 has hit the nail squarely on the head in my opinion. Church leadership must be humble and listen to people. We live in a time when so many churches are run more like professional businesses than spiritual centers. The leadership has a tendency to try and enforce its program from the top down and take offense when a person is less than impressed.

Not to discount the hard work put in by many church leaders; I just think their efforts could be put to better use. We should try to encourage them to follow a discipleship model as much as possible.
      Love is patient, love is kind. . .

Comment

Amen. Good message in the video.

A True Christian is a disciple who strives to actually "deny themselves, pick up their cross daily and follow Jesus", "present their body a living sacrifice", and "walk worthy of the Kingdom."

Comment

Originally posted by speedyj1992 View Post
          At the end of Matthew's gospel, the Great Commission is where Jesus tells the disciples He wants them to go out and make DISCIPLES of all nations - yet we so often just try and get people to believe and move on when they do to the next people. But is that the calling of God? Might we want to look at our lives and make sure that we are constantly learning and growing as the disciples were?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31drI9yZmHc&t=73s
          But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift. 8 Therefore He says:
          “When He ascended on high, He gave gifts to men...

11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the [e]edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ— Eph 4

He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.
          Reconciled in Christ
          19 For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell,
          20 and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross.
          21 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled...Col 1

Comment

Originally posted by Saved7 View Post
            I haven't watched the video, but your post is exactly correct. Disciples are more than believers. They become like their teacher and they "go"...this is a huge focus at my church and i am so blessed to be a part of this great move of God happening there. People aren't just filling up with knowledge and doing nothing with it. We are reading and obeying. We are fasting, praying and listening. We are humbling ourselves and submitting to God's good and perfect will. We seek His face to know Him, we desire to do His will and glorify our Lord's beautiful Name.
            Discipleship is a journey, a growing process and it is so good when done with the body of Christ around you. It's hard at times...and at times it is so sweet...but in all of this, we are made so very rich through it!
            Dig deeper, listen and obey. You'll know Jesus more intimately and love Him more passionately.
            +++++++++=+++++++++++++++

Excellent inclusions of what we are to do as Christians.
            To many put a cross around their neck, go to church once in a while and resume a secular life style on Monday morning. That will not work for us being a"Christian". We are the ambassadors for Christ while on this earth and must act accordingly.

Comment

Working...
            X