No announcement yet.

What Causes Persistent Immaturity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPORTANT What Causes Persistent Immaturity?

Hebrews 5:11-6:3 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing. For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age c , even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Therefore leaving the principles a of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this will we do, if God permit.

Perfection as stated in Heb 6:1 is of the type which Jesus spoke in Matt 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. The word perfect in Matt 5:48 means “of full age, lacking nothing necessary for completeness.” Perfection speaks of maturity or growth. God wishes for us to mature as His children. That's part of the reason He came to live in us through His Spirit. Paul wrote in Phil 1:6 ...he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ... The key to maturity is the person of God. It's not gaining more knowledge, understanding or wisdom that brings maturity, but an interaction with God Himself through His revealed word.

5:11 Of whom we have many things to say – The whom here is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Our high priest after the order of Melchisedec. Speaking of Christ Paul wrote in 1 Cor 1:30-31 ...who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. All that we need to become spiritually mature is found in the person of Christ. He is our wisdom, our righteousness, our sanctification and our redemption. Maturity cannot be gained apart from interaction with Christ. 1 Cor 8:1-3 ...Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. But if any man love God, the same is known of him. Knowledge alone brings pride, only Jesus can bring us maturity. Jesus said in Matt 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. We don't need to learn about Jesus, we need to learn of Him, His attitude, His character, His perspective and His ways. That's the only way to move toward perfection.

hard to be uttered – This phrase means “difficult to explain”. Many things the writer wants to say concerning Christ, would, at this point, be to difficult to explain because of their lack of spiritual maturity. They would be unable to understand because their inaction with God has been far to limited.

seeing ye are dull of hearing – The word dull means slow or sluggish. Being slow or sluggish to hear concerning spiritual things, persists through incorrect goals or a wrong focus in your spiritual walk. An example would be the desire for knowledge, understanding and wisdom rather than a desire for God Himself which is all of those things and more. Consider the case of the religious Jews of whom Paul writes in 2 Cor 3:15-16 ...even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. They had trouble understanding what Moses wrote because their desire was not God, but knowledge, specifically knowledge which justified them. Consider what Jesus said about the Jews in general. Matt 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. Matt 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. If a person's focus is anything but the person of God. They will miss the true meaning of the Words of God. Jesus said to the religious Jews in John 5:39-40 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. Many of the Jews thought they had life through the words of God, but they had not yet come to The God of the words to receive life.

5:12 ye ought to be teachers – The writer makes this statement based on the amount of time the readers had been believers on Christ. It's true some Christians grow more quickly than others, but these people should have been leaders and teachers by the time this epistle was written. Leaders and teachers are made from those who are pursuing God. That's why the apostles were such great teachers and witnesses for Christ. Pursuing God's words makes you a teacher of God's words. That's a good way to describe the Pharisees and Sadducees. Pursuing God makes you a teacher of God using His words. That's a good way to describe the apostles. There's a big difference.

ye have need that one teach you again – A great sign of immaturity is needing to be constantly reassured and retaught. This is the case of many Christians today. Spiritual truth or words not used find no place in our heart. As a result they are essentially forgotten and need to be retaught. Such is the case of religious people who are not in pursuit of God.

5:13 every one that useth milk is unskilful – Unskillful means without experience. Gaining Biblical knowledge is not equivalent to gaining spiritual maturity. Maturity is more about experience than knowledge. Let me give an example: I could graduate from medical school at the top of my class, but that doesn't make me one of the top Cardiologists in the country. I could only gain that position after much interaction with other top Cardiologists and the experience of practicing what I had learned. We don't spiritually mature by gaining more knowledge of God, but by pursuing Him and walking with Him through what He's revealed to us in His Word. Spiritual maturity is not about what you know, but about your walk with God because of what you know.

Here I want to give some examples of what can happen when we pursue knowledge instead of God. 1 Cor 3:1-3 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? James 3:13-16 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. Envying describes jealousy and a desire to place yourself before others. Strife describes debate, contention, variance. Divisions describe dissension. Earthly, sensual and devilish means to be under the influence of the world, the flesh and the devil. Confusion is caused by putting things together that don't belong. Evil work is worthless labor or accomplishments. These things persist in the lives of many who call themselves Christians because they have knowledge of God without interaction with Him. It's very hard to change behavior just because you know it's wrong. It's much easier when you have locked arms with someone who leads you through that change. Thus, the reason drug and alcohol rehab centers are much more effective than going it on your own.

5:14 strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age – Strong meat means “sure food”. The phrase “full age” means lacking nothing necessary for completeness. So we could say, “sure food belongs to them that lack nothing necessary for completeness”. The sure food is the Word of God and walking with Jesus means we lack nothing necessary for completeness. If you want to understand the deep things of God, keep in mind they can only be revealed by God Himself.

who by reason of use – This is how you progress toward spiritual maturity, by reason of use. It's not by knowing the Word of God, it's by using it to pursue and walk with God. Only by experiencing God can we gain spiritual maturity.

have their senses exercised – Senses means perception or understanding. Exercised means trained, disciplined or made skillful. The writer is speaking of having our perception or understanding trained, disciplined and made skillful. That's what can happen when you pursue and walk with God on a daily basis. A pursuit of knowledge alone allows our understanding to be shaped by our own reasoning, meaning we will be controlled by the world, the flesh and the devil. Such a person will be unskilled and untrained in the ways of God.

discern both good and evil – Discern means a distinguishing or judging. We can have marginal discernment through knowledge alone, but God's discernment can only be gained by walking with God.

6:1 Therefore leaving the principles – Leaving here does not mean abandoning. Principles are that by which anything begins to be, the origin of something. The principles the writer mentions are the foundation from which we pursue and walk with God, allowing us to go on unto perfection. Let me give an example here of the importance of going on unto perfection. The Lord has given me a nice house to live in at my current address. Notice I said a house, not just the foundation of one. Suppose all I had at my address was a foundation and was living there in a tent or some kind of a make shift shack. I could tell people I had a wonderfully solid foundation, but all they would see was the tent or shack I lived in and wonder why I hadn't built a decent house. While I could survive that way it's not much of a testimony to the good solid, foundation I have. A good foundation without anything much built on it describes the state of many Christians. Their living lives that look like a make shift shack and few people are taking notice of their claims that they have a wonderful dwelling place. Why not let Jesus help you build one? I don't mean by this that life with Jesus is about living in luxury. I mean that life with Jesus is a life of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost (Romans 14:17).

6:3 this will we do, if God permit – God wants us to mature and go on unto perfection. In saving us from our sins He has predestined us to be in the image of Christ (Romans 8:29). Again, Paul wrote in Phil 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. God sought us out and saved our soul. He has now called us to a lifetime of pursuing and walking with Him. That's the only way to go on unto perfection and it prepares us for eternity. God will not permit us to go on unto perfection without Him.

Originally posted by alewiscii View Post
    Hebrews 5:11-6:3 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing. For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age c , even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Therefore leaving the principles a of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this will we do, if God permit.

Perfection as stated in Heb 6:1 is of the type which Jesus spoke in Matt 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. The word perfect in Matt 5:48 means “of full age, lacking nothing necessary for completeness.” Perfection speaks of maturity or growth. God wishes for us to mature as His children. That's part of the reason He came to live in us through His Spirit. Paul wrote in Phil 1:6 ...he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ... The key to maturity is the person of God. It's not gaining more knowledge, understanding or wisdom that brings maturity, but an interaction with God Himself through His revealed word.

5:11 Of whom we have many things to say – The whom here is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Our high priest after the order of Melchisedec. Speaking of Christ Paul wrote in 1 Cor 1:30-31 ...who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. All that we need to become spiritually mature is found in the person of Christ. He is our wisdom, our righteousness, our sanctification and our redemption. Maturity cannot be gained apart from interaction with Christ. 1 Cor 8:1-3 ...Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. But if any man love God, the same is known of him. Knowledge alone brings pride, only Jesus can bring us maturity. Jesus said in Matt 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. We don't need to learn about Jesus, we need to learn of Him, His attitude, His character, His perspective and His ways. That's the only way to move toward perfection.

hard to be uttered – This phrase means “difficult to explain”. Many things the writer wants to say concerning Christ, would, at this point, be to difficult to explain because of their lack of spiritual maturity. They would be unable to understand because their inaction with God has been far to limited.

seeing ye are dull of hearing – The word dull means slow or sluggish. Being slow or sluggish to hear concerning spiritual things, persists through incorrect goals or a wrong focus in your spiritual walk. An example would be the desire for knowledge, understanding and wisdom rather than a desire for God Himself which is all of those things and more. Consider the case of the religious Jews of whom Paul writes in 2 Cor 3:15-16 ...even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. They had trouble understanding what Moses wrote because their desire was not God, but knowledge, specifically knowledge which justified them. Consider what Jesus said about the Jews in general. Matt 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. Matt 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. If a person's focus is anything but the person of God. They will miss the true meaning of the Words of God. Jesus said to the religious Jews in John 5:39-40 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. Many of the Jews thought they had life through the words of God, but they had not yet come to The God of the words to receive life.

5:12 ye ought to be teachers – The writer makes this statement based on the amount of time the readers had been believers on Christ. It's true some Christians grow more quickly than others, but these people should have been leaders and teachers by the time this epistle was written. Leaders and teachers are made from those who are pursuing God. That's why the apostles were such great teachers and witnesses for Christ. Pursuing God's words makes you a teacher of God's words. That's a good way to describe the Pharisees and Sadducees. Pursuing God makes you a teacher of God using His words. That's a good way to describe the apostles. There's a big difference.

ye have need that one teach you again – A great sign of immaturity is needing to be constantly reassured and retaught. This is the case of many Christians today. Spiritual truth or words not used find no place in our heart. As a result they are essentially forgotten and need to be retaught. Such is the case of religious people who are not in pursuit of God.

5:13 every one that useth milk is unskilful – Unskillful means without experience. Gaining Biblical knowledge is not equivalent to gaining spiritual maturity. Maturity is more about experience than knowledge. Let me give an example: I could graduate from medical school at the top of my class, but that doesn't make me one of the top Cardiologists in the country. I could only gain that position after much interaction with other top Cardiologists and the experience of practicing what I had learned. We don't spiritually mature by gaining more knowledge of God, but by pursuing Him and walking with Him through what He's revealed to us in His Word. Spiritual maturity is not about what you know, but about your walk with God because of what you know.

Here I want to give some examples of what can happen when we pursue knowledge instead of God. 1 Cor 3:1-3 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? James 3:13-16 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. Envying describes jealousy and a desire to place yourself before others. Strife describes debate, contention, variance. Divisions describe dissension. Earthly, sensual and devilish means to be under the influence of the world, the flesh and the devil. Confusion is caused by putting things together that don't belong. Evil work is worthless labor or accomplishments. These things persist in the lives of many who call themselves Christians because they have knowledge of God without interaction with Him. It's very hard to change behavior just because you know it's wrong. It's much easier when you have locked arms with someone who leads you through that change. Thus, the reason drug and alcohol rehab centers are much more effective than going it on your own.

5:14 strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age – Strong meat means “sure food”. The phrase “full age” means lacking nothing necessary for completeness. So we could say, “sure food belongs to them that lack nothing necessary for completeness”. The sure food is the Word of God and walking with Jesus means we lack nothing necessary for completeness. If you want to understand the deep things of God, keep in mind they can only be revealed by God Himself.

who by reason of use – This is how you progress toward spiritual maturity, by reason of use. It's not by knowing the Word of God, it's by using it to pursue and walk with God. Only by experiencing God can we gain spiritual maturity.

have their senses exercised – Senses means perception or understanding. Exercised means trained, disciplined or made skillful. The writer is speaking of having our perception or understanding trained, disciplined and made skillful. That's what can happen when you pursue and walk with God on a daily basis. A pursuit of knowledge alone allows our understanding to be shaped by our own reasoning, meaning we will be controlled by the world, the flesh and the devil. Such a person will be unskilled and untrained in the ways of God.

discern both good and evil – Discern means a distinguishing or judging. We can have marginal discernment through knowledge alone, but God's discernment can only be gained by walking with God.

6:1 Therefore leaving the principles – Leaving here does not mean abandoning. Principles are that by which anything begins to be, the origin of something. The principles the writer mentions are the foundation from which we pursue and walk with God, allowing us to go on unto perfection. Let me give an example here of the importance of going on unto perfection. The Lord has given me a nice house to live in at my current address. Notice I said a house, not just the foundation of one. Suppose all I had at my address was a foundation and was living there in a tent or some kind of a make shift shack. I could tell people I had a wonderfully solid foundation, but all they would see was the tent or shack I lived in and wonder why I hadn't built a decent house. While I could survive that way it's not much of a testimony to the good solid, foundation I have. A good foundation without anything much built on it describes the state of many Christians. Their living lives that look like a make shift shack and few people are taking notice of their claims that they have a wonderful dwelling place. Why not let Jesus help you build one? I don't mean by this that life with Jesus is about living in luxury. I mean that life with Jesus is a life of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost (Romans 14:17).

6:3 this will we do, if God permit – God wants us to mature and go on unto perfection. In saving us from our sins He has predestined us to be in the image of Christ (Romans 8:29). Again, Paul wrote in Phil 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. God sought us out and saved our soul. He has now called us to a lifetime of pursuing and walking with Him. That's the only way to go on unto perfection and it prepares us for eternity. God will not permit us to go on unto perfection without Him.
    Outside of the obvious Scripture (KJV?), what is the source of the Commentary?

Comment

Originally posted by EZTop View Post

Outside of the obvious Scripture (KJV?), what is the source of the Commentary?
      I'm really not sure how to answer. This is a lesson I put together for my Sunday School Class. It wasn't copied from any existing commentary or lesson. Just a result of my 29+ years of teaching, preaching and walking with our Lord, God Bless!

Comment

Originally posted by alewiscii View Post

I'm really not sure how to answer. This is a lesson I put together for my Sunday School Class. It wasn't copied from any existing commentary or lesson. Just a result of my 29+ years of teaching, preaching and walking with our Lord, God Bless!
        That explains the style of writing and it's length. You are obviously using a version of the KJV for scripture, I just wanted to know where the rest came from. You've answered my question.

Comment

Working...
        X