Real Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Redemption

1 Cor 1:26-32For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

It's usually not the worldly wise, mighty or noble that understand the call of God to repent and receive Christ as Lord and Savior. The reason is simple: the wise, mighty and noble are not looking for a savior, they only need religion. The weak, base and despised, on the other hand, are much more likely to look for someone to save them. They are more likely to end up in a personal relationship with God through the preaching of gospel.

Redemption has both a positional and a practical side. Position is the state of being placed, with reference to other people or objects. Position is usually all the wise, mighty or noble desire. Mark 10:17-22 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions. This rich man wanted to go to heaven, but he didn't yet see his need for a savior, that's why he couldn't leave his possessions and follow Jesus. Practice is frequent, reoccurring or customary actions. Practical redemption is what will result from embracing Jesus Christ. In other words, Jesus will really save you. Desiring position without the responsibility of practice is a great problem. We have a society full of people that want wealth and prosperity without the thinking and actions that will bring it. Many Christians want to go to heaven, but don't want a real relationship with the One who can take them there.

1:30 of him are ye in Christ Jesus – The Him is God the Father. The only way of salvation is in Christ Jesus. Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Jesus said in John 14:6 ...I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Real salvation is not found in religion, salvation is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. You can't be saved without having Jesus.

who of God is made unto us – The word made means to become or to come into existence. What follows in verse 30, wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption are only truly found in the person of Christ. They are not available in their pure form apart from Him. Within Christianity there are few who are wise, live righteously, are set apart for God's use and show by their life the salvation of God. The reason is a basic one, the seeking of heaven without a personal relationship with the Savior.

wisdom – The Strong's Lexicon says wisdom here means broad and full intelligence, to have knowledge in very diverse matters. Wisdom is not knowledge itself, but the correct use of knowledge. To use what we know correctly is a great failing among American Christians. Without wisdom Christianity is just another ideology practiced with human reasoning. Consider that God says in Isa 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. It's highly unlikely we will properly use God's truth apart from interaction with Him. Consider also Luke 9:51-56 And it came to pass, when the time was come that he (Jesus) should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem, And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him. And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem. And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village. Knowledge without wisdom makes us little more than a danger to others.

righteousness – Righteousness is integrity, virtue, purity of life, rightness, correctness of thinking, feeling, and acting; the condition acceptable to God. The saved person has a position of righteousness. Eph 1:3-6 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 2 Cor 5:21 For he (God the Father) hath made him (God the Son) to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. The position we have through Christ saves us from hell and the lake of fire. It's a position given us so we may live righteously. Paul wrote in Rom 8:3-4 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Without a personal relationship with Jesus we do not have the ability to live pleasing unto God. Many religious people are struggling to live out the truths found in God's Word to no avail. They are missing one important truth. Jesus is our righteousness! He is the person who will take us to heaven and the person who will lead us in the path righteousness.

sanctification – Sanctification is the devoting and dedicating of a person or thing to the service and worship of God; the act or ceremony of separating from a common to a sacred use. Saved people have been set apart by God. Col 1:12-14 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet (fit) to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins... From the position of being set apart we should live a sanctified life. Titus 2:11-14 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. The apostles of Christ were different and made a difference because of who they were with, because of who they followed. They weren't set apart because they had God's written truth. They were set apart because they followed and were with, their Savior! A religious fanatic is just another fanatic. A follower of Christ, someone who walks and converses with Him, can really make a difference. Jesus is sanctification!

redemption – Redemption is by payment of ransom. Jesus is the only way to escape eternal damnation. He is the only way to escape the corruption of this present evil world. Redemption is wisdom, righteousness and sanctification rolled together into deliverance. The position of the redeemed is that of being delivered from condemnation, hell and the lake of fire. The practice of redemption is being delivered from sin, error, improper thinking, bad attitudes and bad decisions in this life. Jesus said in John 8:31-32 ...If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. A personal relationship with Jesus very much involves daily reading of the Word of God. Jesus through His truth will deliver you because He is Truth. True deliverance is a person, His name is Jesus. Jesus is redemption!

1:31 He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord – Glorieth means to boast of, rejoice in or have joy of. For most the focus of their boasting, rejoicing and joy, is self. It's not Christ, who He is and what He's done, but how it relates to them that's the source of their joy. This is common among those who are just looking to end up in heaven like the rich young ruler in Mark chapter ten. Real redemption belongs to those who have a personal relationship with Christ. As a result they will glory only in Him. Their desire will be Him. Heaven is just one of the many wonderful benefits of knowing Him personally. Jesus is wisdom, He is righteousness, He is sanctification, Jesus is redemption!
Working...
X