A FAULTY PERCEPTION OF GOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A FAULTY PERCEPTION OF GOD

Isaiah 40:25-31 To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One. Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth. Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My way is hid from the LORD, and my judgment is passed over from my God? Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

The context of this passage is that of God's rebuke of Israel for idolatry. Isa 40:19-20 The workman melteth a graven image, and the goldsmith spreadeth it over with gold, and casteth silver chains. He that is so impoverished that he hath no oblation chooseth a tree that will not rot; he seeketh unto him a cunning workman to prepare a graven image, that shall not be moved. The later Babylonian captivity cured the children of Israel from worshiping idols made with men's hands, but it did not keep them from making God to be a god of their own choosing. That remains a great problem within Christianity today. What we find in this passage can start anyone on a journey that cures a faulty perception of God. God Himself is doing the speaking here.

40:25 To whom then will ye liken me - Liken is a word that means to compare. To compare is to set one against another and see the difference. If you are going to do that with God it stands to reason you should know some truth about Him. If your knowledge of Him is faulty then your comparison of Him to someone or something else will be faulty.

or shall I be equal - Equal means the same as. Consider that the children of Israel had been making figures out of wood, stone and precious metals and saying they were gods. The Creator God is about to reveal to His listeners they are nothing like Him.

40:26 Lift up your eyes - Lift up means to bear or take your eyes. The easy thing to do is to look within your heart for truth or simply accept what someone else says. Consider there are a great many people who do that, accepting what they hear as fact. This seems to be especially true concerning people and the news media. Our country has a deep division existing in it now because many believe the perception of others. To investigate for yourself and find answers takes a choice and great effort. That's not something most people will do, but it's the only way to see the truth about God. Jer 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. To lift up your eyes is to look with purpose.

behold who hath created these things - Today we spend most of our time looking at things which man has made including smart phones, tablets, computers and televisions. If we're doing something else our thought is usually how quickly can I get done and get back to looking at some screen. To see the truth about God we're going to have to lift up our eyes. Who God really is cannot be seen through a smart phone or television. I can hear some now saying I've got the Bible on my phone and I watch Christian music videos and preaching on TV. Well, even so, you still may be taking what someone else says about God over what He has to say through His creation. Consider that when Job and his three friends had made all their great declarations about God and how He operates, God spoke and said in Job 38:2-7 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? When the angels saw God creating they sang together and shouted for joy. If we took time to behold what God made we might do the same. Ps 19:1-3 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. The knowledge, wisdom, power and love of God can be seen in what He has made.

bringeth out their host by number - The word host here means war or army. God is speaking of the heavenly bodies we see in the sky and He is saying they are an army involved in a war against those who say there is no God. They testify of His magnificence and cannot be silenced except by Him, but you have to lift up your eyes to see them.

He calleth them all by names – The mental capacity of God is staggering. There are an estimated 100 billion stars in our galaxy and an estimated 100 billion other galaxies like ours. Many stars are known to have satellites like the eight planets around our sun and God calls all the heavenly bodies by their name. Add to that He knows our names and has given to all the redeemed a name of His choosing (Rev 2:17).

for that He is strong in power; not one faileth – The word faileth has the meaning of being arranged or ordered like a battle or a vineyard. In other words God has set the heavenly bodies in their place and they will remain so until He says otherwise. 2 Pet 3:5-7 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. Sir Isaac Newton set forth what he called the law of gravitation which states: any particle of matter in the universe attracts any other, with a force directly based on their mass and the distance between them. Gravitational attraction is the way God holds the universe together yet no one can explain why gravity exists, it just does. God created an invisible force we call gravity and made it a constant in our universe and it will remain so until He says otherwise. That's pretty awesome if you ask me.

40:27 my way is hid...my judgment is passed over – People who believe in God often get offended because God does not help, honor or acknowledge them as they see fit. This is a form of selfishness and results at least partially from failing to see God as He is. When we resent God or charge Him as faulty because He doesn't do as we wish, we are, in fact, thinking God is like us. Deut 29:29 The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law. It's amazing that such corrupt beings as ourselves would think God is uncaring or unjust. We've done nothing but make a mess out of this world and have to look forward to God fixing it before it can be what it should.

40:28 the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator...fainteth not, neither is weary – Fainteth means to be fatigued, weary means to grow weak. Lift up your eyes and look! By God all things consist. He is not tired, He is not weary, He has not forgotten. Jesus is coming!

there is no searching of His understanding – Searching means finding out. I truly feel sorry for those who think they must grasp God's ways and plans to trust Him or have peace. Understanding means intelligence, reason, wisdom. He has a perfect plan and it's coming together, nothing will stop it. Lift up your eyes, the God who made this universe is in control.

40:29 He giveth power to the faint – Faint means weary or fatigued. Lift up your eyes, see the work of the One Who made the heavens. He can strengthen you.

to them that have no might he increaseth strength – For the person who realizes they have not the strength to do what needs to be done, lift up your eyes, the Creator can supply your need abundantly.

40:30 the youths shall faint...the young men shall utterly fall – The youths and the young men represent those who trust in themselves. Human strength is a poor thing to count on. It will fail, it will let you down, it will run out, it's a false hope. Lift up your eyes on high, see the work of our Creator God.

40:31 wait – Wait means look patiently and expect...

...they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

LIFT UP YOUR EYES ON HIGH, SEE THE WORK OF OUR CREATOR GOD. God is not dead nor doth He sleep, the wrong will fail, the right prevail, there will be peace on Earth. Jesus is Coming!
    Last edited by alewiscii; Nov 15 2020, 02:28 AM.

Enjoyed this very much ! I marvel at a 60 foot tall pine tree across the road from my house and think about the complete plan for a new pine tree is contained in a tiny seed ! God's Wisdom .

Comment

To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One.

look to the author and perfecter of faith, Jesus Heb.12:2

Comment

Working...
      X