Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has it ever seemed that you have been alone in the world except for ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has it ever seemed that you have been alone in the world except for ...

the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. There has been a few times in my life where it seemed like this to me. These were times when I had to stand by what seemed to be the truth to me. In some ways they were lonely times, lonely from not having a human being understanding HOWEVER these were also the times when I felt the most attuned to God.
    Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
    For You are the God of my salvation;
    On You I wait all the day.

Psalms 25:5

Re: Has it ever seemed that you have been alone in the world except for ...

I used to take long walks at my college between midnight and 2AM. During the weekends, I just couldn't stay in or near the dorms, so I would walk to the far end of campus in the refreshing cold air. This became a routine and I would just meditate on my way to the football field, where I'd find a seat in the empty stands. Being alone out there and seeing the expanse of stars in the sky brought me closer to God... and while the horrible sounds of the mass partying echoed in the air, I felt like the only person saved.

So I definitely relate to the feeling of loneliness, but there is an element of those experiences that I wish I could relive. The power of God was almost tangible during the night walks.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

Originally posted by Christinme View Post
      the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. There has been a few times in my life where it seemed like this to me. These were times when I had to stand by what seemed to be the truth to me. In some ways they were lonely times, lonely from not having a human being understanding HOWEVER these were also the times when I felt the most attuned to God.
      Amen! That is how it works, unfortunately. Most Christians are not attuned to the Spirit to any appreciable degree in their daily lives...they live their lives as any other person does albeit with an interest in the things of God. But when it comes to the moment by moment walk...a person in the Spirit will find himself very much alone. An interest in spiritual things does not equal a living in the intimate presence of God.

Tozer wrote something about this.

An Excerpt from

The Loneliness of the Christian

by A. W. Tozer

The loneliness of the Christian results from his walk with God in an ungodly world, a walk that must often take him away from the fellowship of good Christians as well as from that of the unregenerate world. His God-given instincts cry out for companionship with others of his kind, others who can understand his longings, his aspirations, his absorption in the love of Christ; and because within his circle of friends there are so few who share his inner experiences he is forced to walk alone.

The unsatisfied longings of the prophets for human understanding caused them to cry out in their complaint, and even our Lord Himself suffered in the same way.

The man [or woman] who has passed on into the divine Presence in actual inner experience will not find many who understand him. He finds few who care to talk about that which is the supreme object of his interest, so he is often silent and preoccupied in the midst of noisy religious shoptalk. For this he earns the reputation of being dull and over-serious, so he is avoided and the gulf between him and society widens.

He searches for friends upon whose garments he can detect the smell of myrrh and aloes and cassia out of the ivory palaces, and finding few or none he, like Mary of old, keeps these things in his heart.

It is this very loneliness that throws him back upon God. His inability to find human companionship drives him to seek in God what he can find nowhere else."

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

sigpic
      מרן אתא

Walk in the Light!
      התהלכו באור

Comment

Originally posted by episkopos View Post
        Amen! That is how it works, unfortunately. Most Christians are not attuned to the Spirit to any appreciable degree in their daily lives...they live their lives as any other person does albeit with an interest in the things of God. But when it comes to the moment by moment walk...a person in the Spirit will find himself very much alone. An interest in spiritual things does not equal a living in the intimate presence of God.

An Excerpt from

by A. W. Tozer

The loneliness of the Christian results from his walk with God in an ungodly world, a walk that must often take him away from the fellowship of good Christians as well as from that of the unregenerate world. His God-given instincts cry out for companionship with others of his kind, others who can understand his longings, his aspirations, his absorption in the love of Christ; and because within his circle of friends there are so few who share his inner experiences he is forced to walk alone.

The unsatisfied longings of the prophets for human understanding caused them to cry out in their complaint, and even our Lord Himself suffered in the same way.

The man [or woman] who has passed on into the divine Presence in actual inner experience will not find many who understand him. He finds few who care to talk about that which is the supreme object of his interest, so he is often silent and preoccupied in the midst of noisy religious shoptalk. For this he earns the reputation of being dull and over-serious, so he is avoided and the gulf between him and society widens.

He searches for friends upon whose garments he can detect the smell of myrrh and aloes and cassia out of the ivory palaces, and finding few or none he, like Mary of old, keeps these things in his heart.

It is this very loneliness that throws him back upon God. His inability to find human companionship drives him to seek in God what he can find nowhere else."
        Some of us get so lonely to commune with like-spirited people, we even search for them here.

I find that I can open my mouth and speak of the amazing events I see unfold around me and wonder at the nature of the changes I see. I imagine the different paths that God may be allowing or choosing for this world. I wonder at what my true place may be when He directs my steps.

Trying to find someone who will converse with me on these things is very difficult.

The same thing is true when I wish to discuss those things in the bible that I see. It is difficult to find someone who wishes to delve into the bible and find truth. It is even harder when the things I find conflict with current doctrine as it is taught in churches today.

Mostly, people want to participate in noisy religious shoptalk. Most of this shoptalk deals with how bad other denominations are and how sinful everyone else is.

Yep, it is a lonely place. Often, I find the most comforting company when I am the only person in the room.
        Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
        George Orwell

www.r2ucv.com

Comment

When I was young I had heard of Jesus Christ but most of what I heard didn't fit with what I knew God was. As a young child I spent hours and hours being with God, my mother would sometimes say I was wasting my time doing nothing, but I didn't feel I was doing nothing. It wasn't till the first time I read the Gospels (at age 23) that I SAW JESUS.

Comment

When I was young I had heard of Jesus Christ but most of what I heard didn't fit with what I knew God was. As a young child I spent hours and hours being with God, my mother would sometimes say I was wasting my time doing nothing, but I didn't feel I was doing nothing. It wasn't till the first time I read the Gospels (at age 23) that I SAW JESUS.
            Then you were a spiritual person from a very young age. That is really wonderful. I fought against being spiritual for many years, as society expected me to act differently. I fought against it so that I could at least be accepted by society.

I was very foolish.
            Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
            George Orwell

www.r2ucv.com

Comment

My entire life has been that way, especially when I was younger. I knew I was not a smart person and so never offered any opinions of my own about anything, and when I did say something it was really dumb. I had always felt alone from most people even in the mist of a crowd. My communication skills were non existent, yet I knew the Lord was real and that some how he had a plan for my life. So, when the Lord told me to teach His word I was not a very happy camper, and said you have the wrong guy. His plan for me has always been that now I have something to say that people might want to listen to, and thank God it is not me saying it, but my best friend that dwells in me.
              All those lonely times were days of training. I guess I could call them my wilderness experience.

Comment

An Excerpt from

by A. W. Tozer

It is in us to want a helpmeet like Adam, someone like ourselves. After we meet God, this takes a different meaning and tone for us and we live the spirit of the words about a helpmeet.
                But when you read these words by Tozer, He WAS giving you a helpmeet.
                You connected with that mans soul. You felt not so alone because God gave that man and his words to you.
                I read something about Tozer where someone talked about what torture it was for him to be in conversation with others about anything but God. How he would flee ,as soon as he could, a parishioner who wanted to talk about things other than God. When I read it, I understood the man because I have felt it often. I feelli ke I will scream and climb the walls when women want to talk about their new dishwasher or vacuum and what it cost and what bells and whistles it has or when a man wants to talk about cars or football. It is a supreme effort to keep a pleasant smile on your face and act interested when inside you are shrieking to please be released from the conversation or find a graceful way to leave without offending.
                there was a prophet who talked about how he sat alone and did not join in....merrymaking and feasting and drinking with others because Gods' hand was upon him.

Comment

It's pretty funny because I was thinking about this just the other day. Even with all the friends and family that I have who love and support me, really I believe we are all in this world alone except for Jesus who is always with us. It's both scary and comforting to know that we all travel this world alone even though others are in our lives we still are all alone and in our own little worlds except for the comfort of knowing that Jesus is on our side and with us forever and ever!! I think that is probably the one thing that has made me so scared of death; one which was questioning my own salvation and the other that it is one of the few things that you must do solo. It's not like you can take your wife or mother or someone like that and say lets die together so we won't be alone. We all as individuals have our own time to go. But the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are always watching over us.

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing! I needed this!

An Excerpt from

by A. W. Tozer

Comment

An Excerpt from

by A. W. Tozer

Thank you for sharing this my friend.

God bless you.
                      Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.Matt 5:6

I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. John 13:15

Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
                      And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
                      Matt 25:46

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith,
                      and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
                      1 Tim 6:10

Comment

Yeah, going through that as we speak....
                        The LORD will keep you from all harm-- he will watch over your life; Psalm 121:7 (NIV)

If someone does not appreciate your presence, make them appreciate your absence.

sigpic

Comment

Yes, it has and does. Thank you so much episkopos for A W Tozer's quote. Life, for me has been so lonely. I can't count on one finger how many have been able to share Christ with me in the place of my I abode. The fires, storms, earthquakes, and dark-cold eerie pit with an overwhelming-oppressive-thundering presence have wrought a perspective unique for which sharing proves fruitless. But praise be forever and ever to the One Who was with me and strengthened me unto victory or carried me through to recovery through it all!!! I will love and praise and serve Him till death do us join forever! Till then I will strive to be more and more like Him and continue to slay or escape that which would destroy the soul.

I know we aren't alone on a platonic level. I know that we must always keep an outward focus and NOT a self-focus. But in the battles and struggles for others or for our ability to minister to/live with them, the rage of war can be so overwhelming/numbing that soul survival becomes prominent and even exclusive. I love Twila Paris's ministry of music. Songs like "The Warrior is a Child" "He Is No Fool" and the one she did with Steve Curtis Chapman, "I Will Be Your Friend" or something like that are all soothing balms for my soul. I love Twila so much for the the comradely, edification, and strength I derive form her music. May God bless her and her family greatly forever.

Comment

How nice to be reminded of this thread today!

Comment

I second that! I read my Tozer books very often. He makes me feel not so alone. It is perplexing to me that most of the men I feel closest to are dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X