Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

    What I mean is, whenever I pass people in a store or drivers on a road, I feel the need to pray that they will meet a Christian who will preach the Word to them so they canget saved. Every person I pass, even in a crowd. Every car I pass, even on a highway. I'm beginning to pray this like I'm going through a rosary and I'm tired of all those Hail Marys (I'm not Catholic though) like FatherinthenameofJesus and I'm just trying to get the prayer prayed.
    If I stop praying, however, I feel guilty. I think that I have to pray that, and I don't know if that is God wanting me to do it or what. Is there any biblical excuse (aside from the logical reason that, by nature of me praying for strangers, some of them are going to be Christians who are already saved and that there simply aren't enough Christians for that to work) for me to stop so I can just relax?

  • #2
    Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

    Don't worry, God keeps working, even when you're not praying, or you're sleeping, or when you're tired.
    He's got this. He's been doing this for a long time.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

      I wouldn't feel nearly as responsible for praying for every individual to meet someone who will share with them, as I would feel responsible for sharing with the ones I know God has put into my path.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

        I think it's great that you have such a passion for others to pray for. Say a little prayer for those in the blue car. Say a little pray for those on street corner. Reach out and hug the whole world with your heart. It's a good feeling.

        God does take care of everything. The care for others is important. BUT... there's no need in constant pray. It's not the size of the pray but the heartfelt passion in the prayer that is important.
        Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.Matt 5:6

        I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. John 13:15

        Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
        And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
        Matt 25:46

        For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith,
        and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
        1 Tim 6:10

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

          Pbminimum, you hit on a good point, but you only gave me a reason to do one more thing, not to stop what I am already doing. I want to stop, so I need a reason to stop. jesusinmylife, I understand what you are saying, but that doesn't help. "God takes care of everything" is not something that Elijah said when the rain needed to come back; instead, Elijah prayed. I need a reason that this isn't mine. I feel like I shouldn't be doing it, but feeling isn't enough.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

            What made you start in the first place? Did God tell you to do it?
            9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

              Originally posted by Yonathan View Post
              Pbminimum, you hit on a good point, but you only gave me a reason to do one more thing, not to stop what I am already doing. I want to stop, so I need a reason to stop. jesusinmylife, I understand what you are saying, but that doesn't help. "God takes care of everything" is not something that Elijah said when the rain needed to come back; instead, Elijah prayed. I need a reason that this isn't mine. I feel like I shouldn't be doing it, but feeling isn't enough.
              By the way, If you feel like you shouldn't be doing it, but feeling isn't enough, and you started off the thread by saying you feel the need to pray. Why obey one feeling, and not the other?
              9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

                There is no consequence for praying, but if I am supposed to be praying, then there is a consequence.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

                  Originally posted by Yonathan View Post
                  Pbminimum, you hit on a good point, but you only gave me a reason to do one more thing, not to stop what I am already doing. I want to stop, so I need a reason to stop. jesusinmylife, I understand what you are saying, but that doesn't help. "God takes care of everything" is not something that Elijah said when the rain needed to come back; instead, Elijah prayed. I need a reason that this isn't mine. I feel like I shouldn't be doing it, but feeling isn't enough.
                  It's great to pray for others to come to know Christ , but when done out of some sort of duty or requirement, then that is missing the point all together. We are certainly to have a burden for the lost and also we are to be evangelistic in our contact with the world. But what you are saying ( if I'm understanding you correctly ) is that you are doing this almost as some sort of habitual requirement , and not as the Spirit leads. If this is the case , you may as well stop right now because your prayers aren't going to be effective....again.... If I'm understanding you correctly.

                  Please know that you are only responsible for what God puts in front of you and what he asks you to do in those situations. Concentrate on these divine appointments. Pray for those instead of praying some sort of duty led prayer for everyone you come into contact with, knowing that God will hear you because your heart is to reach those He puts in front of you.

                  So ...in short . If you need a reason to stop here it is. God probably isn't going to honor a prayer that is habitual and done out of some sort of unwanted duty. You would be wasting your breath. If your wondering if your prayers are effective, then look at the fruit , or lack thereof from them. This will tell you a great deal.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

                    Matt 11:28-30
                    28 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29 "Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls. 30 "For My yoke is easy, and My load is light."
                    NASB

                    Does the yoke you are walking in fit with this scripture?
                    Matt 9:13
                    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                    NASU

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

                      Originally posted by Yonathan View Post
                      There is no consequence for praying, but if I am supposed to be praying, then there is a consequence.
                      Not if it's outside of the will of God. At least in regards to fruitful consequence. The consequence if outside of God's will could possibly be unfruitful. An example is that if you are continually and habitually praying out of legalistic duty, then you may not be praying for the people God wants to exercise His will through you for.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

                        Originally posted by Pbminimum View Post
                        It's great to pray for others to come to know Christ , but when done out of some sort of duty or requirement, then that is missing the point all together. We are certainly to have a burden for the lost and also we are to be evangelistic in our contact with the world. But what you are saying ( if I'm understanding you correctly ) is that you are doing this almost as some sort of habitual requirement , and not as the Spirit leads. If this is the case , you may as well stop right now because your prayers aren't going to be effective....again.... If I'm understanding you correctly.

                        Please know that you are only responsible for what God puts in front of you and what he asks you to do in those situations. Concentrate on these divine appointments. Pray for those instead of praying some sort of duty led prayer for everyone you come into contact with, knowing that God will hear you because your heart is to reach those He puts in front of you.

                        So ...in short . If you need a reason to stop here it is. God probably isn't going to honor a prayer that is habitual and done out of some sort of unwanted duty. You would be wasting your breath. If your wondering if your prayers are effective, then look at the fruit , or lack thereof from them. This will tell you a great deal.
                        Where does the Bible say that?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

                          A verse that comes to my mind is Matthew 21:22. "And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith." But if you're simply praying to get the prayer prayed, then I wouldn't say you're really asking in faith... right? You're just muttering words to yourself if that's the case. Read Matthew 6:7 as well. And if you want to do something like that, then Jesus tells us to "go into your room, and shut the door, and pray to your Father who is in secret." Wouldn't God be more pleased if you did that rather than trying to "hit" every person you pass on the road while driving?

                          Josh
                          The eyes of the LORD are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.
                          Prov 15:3

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

                            You need not have to say a prayer.......... Better to just talk to GOD and tell HIM what you are feeling ! And you need not do it all day.

                            Pick a good time with no interruptions for you and just say what is in your mind and heart...... GOD will understand you.

                            And may be at another time of the day you can speak to GOD and ask HIM to show you others that need prayer., help .. You can also just pray

                            at that time for the lost and maybe GOD will bring you to them....
                            Eph. 2:8
                            For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
                            9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: I feel the need to pray for everyone to get saved. Am I allowed to stop?

                              I love to pray for someone I see walking down the street or passing by me. I think that I could possibly be the only person that ever brought that person before our Lord.
                              However, I do not put such a burden on myself that if I don't pray, they will go to hell.
                              It is a privilege to bring those I pass by to God in prayer.
                              .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

                              ........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
                              .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a



                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X