OVERCOMER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OVERCOMER

Overcometh as we find it seven times in the Revelation chapters 2 & 3 means to conquer, overcome or get the victory. The overcomer is described for us in 1 John 5:4-5 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? Many see the statement of John here as a simple truth stating that because we are saved and will end up in heaven when we die, then we are overcomers. I say that's a partial truth viewed as a whole truth in order to justify a convenient Christianity.

I would like to draw your attention to James chapter 2, where James wrote, What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?...shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. I will remind you James is concerned about our justification before men, something we should also be concerned about. Hear also Paul in Eph 2:8-10 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Salvation from sin is by God's grace through faith in Christ, not in any way are we saved from the penalty of sin by our works. That's a truth no one should deny because doing so shifts trust in Christ to trust in something else and leaves one with a counterfeit salvation. Many love verses 8 & 9 about how we get to go to heaven through faith in Christ. However, verse 10 is often forgotten because it reminds us of the purpose of God's salvation as it relates to this present age. It reminds us of what it takes to really be an overcomer and that's something few want to know.

What profit is it to others if I get to go to heaven when I die? They won't see it or experience it. It's primarily only of benefit to me. That fits a convenient Christianity where it's all about me. What's of benefit to others is the works in my life that prove a link to the real Overcomer, Jesus Christ. When I am conquering life's problems through the truth of God's Word and showing the victory of Christ in every circumstance I face, I'm showing others Jesus is an overcomer and that makes me one too. That will do far more to bring others to God than just letting them know I'm going to heaven. I really feel that's the missing link, the reason why the Church is failing to influence our culture, the reason why we are making proselytes instead of winning people to Christ.

Convenient Christianity is not helping our country, but Jesus the Overcomer can. Why did so many people come to see Jesus during His earthly ministry? I believe we can see the true answer in something John wrote in John 2:23 Now when he (Jesus) was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. His name means Savior and He was a Savior to the people because of the miracles He did. Jesus was able to do those miracles because He was an overcomer. Let me use His words in John 16:33 ...In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. The miracles Jesus did proved He was an overcomer.

We still need miracles today. We need the miracles of real love, forgiveness, peace, joy, gentleness, genuine goodness, wisdom and divine guidance. Those and many others are words that truly describe who Jesus was and is. They can also show others we are overcomers in Christ and that we carry His true message to a fallen and chaotic world.

Working...
X