Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If gambling is a sin then what about investing in stocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If gambling is a sin then what about investing in stocks?

I had a talk with my grandmother to learn about investing stocks and from she told me that it's all gambling. So if gambling is a sin then what about investing in stocks???

Re: If gambling is a sin then what about investing in stocks?

I think the burden of proof that gambling is a sin is on the one who says that.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Comment

I don't believe that investing in stocks is gambling. My father invested a small portion and so did I and I still do.

Proverbs 13 says that money gained little by little will increase and money gained in haste will go away. What does that mean? I think it means that working for your hard-earned money makes you spend it less. And vice versa money just handed to you is spent quickly.

My father was wise enough to spend a small portion and put them into stocks that increase slowly, but always are increasing. I followed his example and only put a small amount into a safe investment. It's for when I turn 65. Yes, I have a retirement, but that will never increase.

People who play the stock market for quick money and take a terrible chance on unstable stocks that change quickly are the ones that Proverbs 13 is talking to.

But then again, there are unforeseen circumstances that have cost even safe people to lose a fortune. In the 1980's people were making money hand over fist - money at very high rates. So people started putting more money into stocks. Everything was slow and safe.

This went on even through the 1990's. Then 9-11 happened and the bottom dropped out of everyone investments and people lost millions.

I think putting small amounts and not touching it and just letting in grow in safe stocks is perfectly fine. No sin there.
      sigpic
      ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

Thank you for your helpful replies! I got worried and afraid for my family and everybody else and myself regarding to this issue and cried out to God for help and understanding and for His mercy for us. If investing in stock is ok then I should learn how to do so wisely. I remember this verse in Proverbs 28:6- Better is the poor man who walks in his integrity than the rich man who is crooked in his ways. I love what christian pastor and writer Warren Wiersbe said about money- Money makes a good servant but a terrible master. I love that quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr King View Post
          Thank you for your helpful replies! I got worried and afraid for my family and everybody else and myself regarding to this issue and cried out to God for help and understanding and for His mercy for us. If investing in stock is ok then I should learn how to do so wisely. I remember this verse in Proverbs 28:6- Better is the poor man who walks in his integrity than the rich man who is crooked in his ways. I love what christian pastor and writer Warren Wiersbe said about money- Money makes a good servant but a terrible master. I love that quote.
          Keep reading Wiersbe. He’s fantastic.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Comment

TrustGzus, Wiersbe is awesome! I've read half way through one of his new books called, Stand, Putting on the Full Armour of God, highly recommend that one. Unfortunately this isn't available on amazon but christianbook.com

Comment

Even Jesus admonished the servant who didn't put his talent in the bank...
              Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

I have Wiersbe's commentary on the whole Bible, chapter by chapter. He writes it as sermons notes with the usual alliterative points - i.e. "head, hearts, and hands"

Nonetheless, they are very good reads.
                sigpic
                ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

The whole idea of starting and running a business is investing.

You begin by putting your money in starting a business and purchasing product with the hope that people will buy your product. Though there is no guarantee they will. It's a gamble. You how that people will buy your product at a greater price than what you bought it (and other business related expenses) for making a profit.

Actual buying stock is you giving a business your money for them to invest in their business with the hope that business will make a profit and you will share in that profit.
                  "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
                  C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
                  "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
                  "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
                  "Our Hope is unchanged"
                  "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Comment

As many have alluded to... where does the Bible infer that gambling is sinful? I've always equated it generally with the act of casting lots...

Like many things, if abused it can become a problem in a Christian's life... but I think it's one of those things that Jeremiah referred to as a law that would be written on the individual's heart; because nowhere do I see it as being included in the Torah Law or in anything Jesus taught against...
                    Jesus said, "Out of the hardness of your hearts Moses gave a writ of divorce; but from the beginning it was not so." How many more things do you suppose are, "From the beginning, NOT so?"

Comment

Working...
                    X