Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A heart to know God - Digging Spiritual Wells

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
    A friend of mine, posted this devotional on youtube and I found it to be wonderful! The teacher uses Ps. 84:5-7 as a text.

Ps 84:5 How blessed is the man whose strength is in You,
    In whose heart are the highways to Zion!
    6 Passing through the valley of Baca they make it a spring;
    The early rain also covers it with blessings.
    7 They go from strength to strength,
    Every one of them appears before God in Zion.

He expounds on the believer who has it in his heart, to get to Zion where God dwells.
    He expounds on the valley of Baca (weeping) and how we can dig a well to get through that valley.
    Then he expounds on going from strength to strength and how God reveals Himself to us and shows Himself mighty in our behalf.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. (The teacher gives a bit of testimony before he starts the devotional.)
    I listened to about half of it--what I did hear I did enjoy. Seems quite inspired.

Anyway, my view of this Psalm is a little more simplistic. I pretty much agree on the sentiment though. This commends those in Israel who undertook to journey to Jerusalem. All Israelis were supposed to meet in Jerusalem 3 x per year during the Feasts. This was under the Law, in the OT era. It certainly would not be possible to meet in this way today!

God called all Israelis to Jerusalem for a variety of reasons. But most of all it was to call the people of God into the singular experience of the one God. Those who faithfully made the trek were expected to have to pass through dry places along the way, being tested as to their attitude and faith. And they were met with God's help, through rains and springs. They were not to be discouraged by problems, but were to persevere in faith that God would meet them half way.

This is a characteristic of all true Christians. They seek God. They seek to follow the ways of Christ. Following the ways of Christ are indeed the way to God. To follow Christ is to know God. Not even hard times can rob us of our faith in Christ, enabling us to persevere through our lives. It isn't easy, but it is doable.

Good message (even though I didn't hear it all).

Comment

Working...
    X