No announcement yet.

Confused about the right kind of hope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about the right kind of hope?

Hello...I've been thinking about my hope recently and stumbled across several devotionals on hope. Let me first say a few things...I'm thankful for where I'm at currently and what God has provided for me so far in life as far from a "fleshly" standpoint (i.e., material things, pretty good health, etc.).

However, I keep thinking about my current and near future situation and wonder if I'm doubting whether I'm even supposed to have hope in things of this world. i.e., I would like to move to a new city when my lease is up. I'm still single and pray for a wife, I'm still working at my job and pray it leads me into some other work. However, I don't even know if it's right to hope these things will happen even through prayer because they may not happen. What's the point of getting my hopes up to have them crushed? I'd almost rather not expect anything and be pleasantly surprised if it does happen. That may sound a bit negative, but just speaking my mind. Would like to hear some input on this topic as I'm a bit confused. And, of course, I do hope for the day when I get to meet Jesus....Just wondering about whether hope for these earthly things is even worthwhile!

Re: Confused about the right kind of hope?

From my own experience, knowing God more is far more valuable than anything you can how for in this life. In that there is peace and contentment. The rest won't even matter but will be a nice something extra if the Lord blesses you with it.
    In the meantime, focus your energy on asking what the Lord wants to do with you in your present circumstances.

From my own experience, knowing God more is far more valuable than anything you can how for in this life. In that there is peace and contentment. The rest won't even matter but will be a nice something extra if the Lord blesses you with it.
    In the meantime, focus your energy on asking what the Lord wants to do with you in your present circumstances.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

That should read "HOPE for in this life". Not "how for"
      Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with having hopes and dreams so long as your heart is set on doing what pleases God. Pray for what you would like, but always include "if it is Your will"; and be patient. Many times things don't go the way I'm hoping, only to find that God has something much much better for me. Psalms 84:11 says:
        "For the Lord God is our sun and our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right."

Notice it says no good thing. Perhaps God knows that giving you something would be destructive for you in the long run. Keep your heart set on pleasing Him and be at peace and know He wants to bless you.

Comment

Originally posted by saturator View Post
          Hello...I've been thinking about my hope recently and stumbled across several devotionals on hope. Let me first say a few things...I'm thankful for where I'm at currently and what God has provided for me so far in life as far from a "fleshly" standpoint (i.e., material things, pretty good health, etc.).

However, I keep thinking about my current and near future situation and wonder if I'm doubting whether I'm even supposed to have hope in things of this world. i.e., I would like to move to a new city when my lease is up. I'm still single and pray for a wife, I'm still working at my job and pray it leads me into some other work. However, I don't even know if it's right to hope these things will happen even through prayer because they may not happen. What's the point of getting my hopes up to have them crushed? I'd almost rather not expect anything and be pleasantly surprised if it does happen. That may sound a bit negative, but just speaking my mind. Would like to hear some input on this topic as I'm a bit confused. And, of course, I do hope for the day when I get to meet Jesus....Just wondering about whether hope for these earthly things is even worthwhile!
          I believe that God puts some of these things "hoped for" in your heart. But don't be surprised if you don't get all of them, or if there are twists and turns along the way. I would counsel you to just put all of your "hopes" in God's hands, being willing to accept *anything* He brings you. He will for sure test you, to see if you love Him, whether you get all those things or not.

In the end you will find that God's Kingdom is the most important thing. But you will also find that He has been with you through everything you experience in this life. You will see Him fulfill some of your "hopes," which is very exciting. It's supremely exciting to know the supreme Being in the universe is working with little ol' you!

You don't have to worry so much about ginning up the spirituality required to pass all of the tests. It will come quite naturally in time, as you choose to go His way in so many things. If you have to give up some of your dreams, because it's taxing your spirituality, then you will grow more fond of God's good pleasure.

Good luck, brother. It's been a very wild ride for me, and still is. I trust God will carry you through!

Comment

Thank you for these responses!

Comment

Working...
            X