Politics and such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politics and such

Why are so many Christians "right wing"?

When it comes to politics I generally try not to get involved in picking a party (as politics is so corrupt these days). However recently I've picked up on how many "right wing" Christians there are. Anyone know why this is? I would have thought that "left wing" policies/ideals fit more with the teachings of the Bible?
    He's charging into hell and bringing heaven with him!- Rob Bell

"So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir" - Paul - Galations 4:7

I think it's cos Christianity is counter cultural and the more liberal spectrum of politics is geared towards getting away from tradition. Christianity was more set into culture in days gone by and as such the liberal 'reforms' tend to be anti-Christian.
    "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
    -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

Hi there

Well while you might be right in saying that many christians are right wing orientated I am not. I work for the Democratic Alliance. I really do pray for this country alot. I think that we as christians look at it incorrectly sometimes. Though we tend to vote the way we think this might not always be right. Even though I am a christian and I vote for a more liberal party this does not mean that I support all their views.

Most important is to keep on praying for those in government.

Comment

I think it's because, for me anyway, that those on the left-wing consisently tear down and demonize Christians. Here in Canada, the NDP and Liberals always strip our freedom of speech lest we "offend" someone and generally have a very condescending attitude towards us. They openly mocked an MP who was the leader of a right-wing party for his Christian believes. I believe they called him "crazy" though I may be paraphrasing. I don't know about you, but I'm not about to join up with parties that call my beliefs "crazy".

And it's like Revinius said, right-wingers are more traditional and family-oriented; liberals generally are not. So that's another reason.

Comment

Liberals are very orthordox.. Free, open minded thinkers very closed off. Quite the paradox, but true. Very rarely will you find a liberal liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
            Liberals are very orthordox.. Free, open minded thinkers very closed off. Quite the paradox, but true. Very rarely will you find a liberal liberal.
            I've never heard this, liberals have always seemed foot loose and fancy free to me, any goes with a liberal.

To the OP, most Christians are right-winged because left-winged people dislike Christian virtues and much of what they stand for goes against the Bible. And because most Christians have common sense and understand that liberal politics don't work, but that's for a different part of the forum.

Pax,
            Zach
            Matthew 6:34
            "34 So do not worry about tomorrow: tomorrow will take care of itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of Jesus View Post
              I would have thought that "left wing" policies/ideals fit more with the teachings of the Bible?
              What "left wing" policies/ideals specifically fit more with the teachings of the Bible?

Comment

Originally posted by CactusCarlos View Post
                What "left wing" policies/ideals specifically fit more with the teachings of the Bible?
                Well the main thing is that there is more of a sharing of wealth. In a "right wing" country there tends to be more emphasis on what the world calls 'success' and what God calls a waste of time.

Also, left wing groups tend to be kinder to other ethnic groups. For instance in England, the Conservatives believe that we should strongly limit immigration, want to vanquish council housing and lower taxes (which is good for the rich but bad for the poor). It was also the Conservatives that were originally against public health care (good for the rich).

I don't know about America, but in England "left wing" groups are more charitable, and the "Right Wing" groups don't seem to have any obvious Christian morals. Hense why I was confused as to why so many Christians were right wing.

I should point out that I am not left wing, nor right wing. Politics from my point of view doesn't seem to change much- it's best simply to pray for whatever party is in power.
                He's charging into hell and bringing heaven with him!- Rob Bell

"So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir" - Paul - Galations 4:7

Comment

Originally posted by catholicdude View Post
                  I've never heard this, liberals have always seemed foot loose and fancy free to me, any goes with a liberal.
                  Seemed and are, are two different things

Comment

In terms of politics, I'm neither right nor left in the conventional sense, but I see the world as Reagan described it here:

You and I are told increasingly that we have to choose between a left or a right. There is only an up or down: up to man's age-old dream -- the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order -- or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism. And regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course. Ronald Reagan, Republican National Convention, 1964

And IMHO conservatives, liberals, right, left, Republicans, Democrats, Tories and Labour, all do very poorly when it comes to promoting that ideal. The label that seems to fit it best is classical liberal or libertarian, so that's what I call myself.

Within the libertarian spectrum, I identify most with libertarian conservatism. Though I often feel compelled to vote for one of the major parties as the 'lesser evil', I am a member of the Libertarian Party.
                    Man's ego is inflated, his laws are outdated, they don't apply no more
                    You can't rely no more to be standing around waiting
                    In the home of the brave, Jefferson turning over in his grave
                    Fools glorifying themselves, trying to manipulate Satan
                    And there's a slow, slow train coming up around the bend.

Comment

I believe it is up and down: Up in that you are worshipping God; Down in that you are worshipping yourself or something else.
                      "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

Originally posted by Revinius View Post
                        I believe it is up and down: Up in that you are worshipping God; Down in that you are worshipping yourself or something else.
                        That's true too, but that's worship, not politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Izdaari View Post
                          That's true too, but that's worship, not politics.
                          I don't believe they are seperate.

Comment

Originally posted by Revinius View Post
                            I don't believe they are seperate.
                            In a sense, everything a Christ-follower does should be an act of worship. But I worship God in the three divine persons, not the state.

Do I consider God's will in the voting booth? You bet I do! Jesus didn't say, imply or even hint that we should try to establish the Kingdom of Heaven by attempting to influence national policy. We do it from the ground up, by changing ourselves and those around us, not from the top down.

And I don't believe we show much love for God or do His will by trying to establish a theocracy or a theonomy. Rather, I believe that most godly form of government we can have is what America's Founders established, a limited constitutional republic, pluralistic, with full freedom of speech and of religion. Only Jesus, when He returns, is qualified to run a theocratic state... if He would choose to do so.

Comment

I don't really undestand it either. In America, I think like EVERY person in the House and Senate (other than one Muslim) is either Jewish or Christian (which includes Catholics). Every one! At least that's what a political science professor told us.

So if they mostly Christians, I don't understand why people would think the governement is anti-Christian. I know people disagree about abortion and gay marriage, but look at how the progressive groups try to help the poor and uneducated. The Republicans don't do that.

I look at the two parties and I see this...

Liberals - help the poor, respect human rights, treat everyone as equals, help the homeless, people with AIDS, build schools and libraries and teach people, don't let the government teach a certain religion,

versus

Conservatives - everyone for themselves! homelessness should be illegal! gay people aren't allowed to express their love, people deserve to get AIDS because they sin, let's spend a ton of money on the military, which as we all know is designed to kill people and destroy things.

Like with the stimulus, the Republicans objected to spending $800 billion on things like schools, tax cuts, environmental programs, work programs, etc. but they were happy to spend over $600 billion so far on the war in Iraq. How does that make sense???

I know where I stand,

Bex

Comment

Working...
                              X