Birth Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Control

I am taking a course in College about Human Sexuality, and I was reading about the different views on Birth Control. I was wondering how Christians of our generation (current college age students) viewed birth control?

As long as it's not abortive, I don't think I have a problem with it.

Comment

I find "what if's" basically tell God he isnt in control.
      "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
      -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

Birth Control takes away the pro-creative act of s*x. God created s*x to make more people to love Him. It also depends on why it's used, there are a couple other reasons that are non-s*xual that I guess are ok, but if it's used to prevent pregnancy I think of it as a sin.

Pax,
        Zach

P.S. I'm not in college, but I didn't think you would mind.
        Matthew 6:34
        "34 So do not worry about tomorrow: tomorrow will take care of itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Comment

Originally posted by catholicdude View Post
          Birth Control takes away the pro-creative act of s*x. God created s*x to make more people to love Him. It also depends on why it's used, there are a couple other reasons that are non-s*xual that I guess are ok, but if it's used to prevent pregnancy I think of it as a sin.
          Well here's my take... Scripturally, unless it's abortive, you'd have a hard time showing it's a sin.

Comment

Xel, do you post just to contradict me?

There isn't a specific passage that says "thou shalt not use birth control," but we can use scripture and reason to com to a conclusion:

1) God does everything that He does for a reason
            2) God created our bodies the way they are for a reason
            3) S*x creates babies, God made it this way (by no accident)
            4) Therefore, God wanted s*x to create babies
            5) Therefore, God doesn't want to people to have s*x while unable to have children because it goes against the way He wanted it to be.
            6) Things that God doesn't want to happen are bad
            7) Therefore, birth control is bad

I also wanted to say in my earlier post that while someone is using birth control for reasons other than birth control, that someone is called to chastity to avoid falling into sin.

Pax,
            Zach
            Matthew 6:34
            "34 So do not worry about tomorrow: tomorrow will take care of itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Comment

Originally posted by catholicdude View Post
              Xel, do you post just to contradict me?

There isn't a specific passage that says "thou shalt not use birth control," but we can use scripture and reason to com to a conclusion:

2) God created our bodies the way they are for a reason
              3) S*x creates babies, God made it this way (by no accident)
              4) Therefore, God wanted s*x to create babies
              5) Therefore, God doesn't want to people to have s*x while unable to have children because it goes against the way He wanted it to be.
              6) Things that God doesn't want to happen are bad
              7) Therefore, birth control is bad

I also wanted to say in my earlier post that while someone is using birth control for reasons other than birth control, that someone is called to chastity to avoid falling into sin.
              And guess what... Sex creates babies, even while on birth control. Contrarily, sex doesn't create babies, even when not on birth control (*cough...). What if we took your logic and applied it like this...

2) God allowed for the Fall and entrance of sin and death
              3) People get sick...

You can see where I'm taking this, right? People get sick, use medicine, get better... Go against what God allowed for a certain reason? Falls flat.

In relation to what you've said...

4) God didn't want sex to create babies, God designed sex as the means of procreation
              5) Non-sequitur... This isn't derived from the previous four propositions
              6) Not necessarily
              7) Not shown

You know a major reason why Africa is burning? Missionaries are hated birth control.

Comment

I don't like birth control. I feel that if God wanted us to have a kid, we would. Plenty of people "do it" while actually trying to get pregnant, and can't. It's God's will that they don't (at least not right away), and it's His will when we do.

Of course, you can argue this for days, I know. I mean I remember reading about many Church leaders not liking heart transplants when they first started doing those, since if God wanted a heart to fail, it would. So I guess you can look at it either way. But I don't know, I'm just not convinced that birth control is a good thing.
                May the Lord bless you and keep you,
                The Lord make his face shine on you
                and be gracious to you.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeWesker View Post
                  I don't like birth control. I feel that if God wanted us to have a kid, we would. Plenty of people "do it" while actually trying to get pregnant, and can't. It's God's will that they don't (at least not right away), and it's His will when we do.

Of course, you can argue this for days, I know. I mean I remember reading about many Church leaders not liking heart transplants when they first started doing those, since if God wanted a heart to fail, it would. So I guess you can look at it either way. But I don't know, I'm just not convinced that birth control is a good thing.
                  Which is fine, for you. That's a long way from declaring it sin.

Comment

I was on it for a little while but I put on too much weight because of it, so I got rid of it.

Taking birth control is not trusting God. It's following your own will and not His, and basically denying that his plan for you is good.

But there are other reasons why people take b.c. pills.
                    Romans 8:11

Comment

Originally posted by the inside out View Post
                      Taking birth control is not trusting God. It's following your own will and not His, and basically denying that his plan for you is good.
                      And how is it different when you take medication for a sickness?

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
                        And how is it different when you take medication for a sickness?
                        Medication is used throughout the scriptures. Oil and Wine, Balm of Gilead, etc. It's not in God's will that you should suffer, and God has provided me with Excedrin Migrane when I have a headache. He's also provided me with Zyrtec to relieve me from my allergies. Though they are expensive, they are a blessing from God.

If you're suffering from Cancer, then God can provide you with access to chemotherapy. God doesn't just do crazy miracles, but he also blesses men and women with the wisdom and the knowledge to be physicians and chemists and pharmacists so that they can be a blessing to you.

Pregnancy is not an sickness or a burden, but it is a gift and a command from God. That's the difference. God said, "Go forth and multiply." By taking birth control you're saying, "No!" or "I'll do it on my own time."

Comment

Originally posted by the inside out View Post
                          Medication is used throughout the scriptures. Oil and Wine, Balm of Gilead, etc. It's not in God's will that you should suffer, and God has provided me with Excedrin Migrane when I have a headache. He's also provided me with Zyrtec to relieve me from my allergies. Though they are expensive, they are a blessing from God.

If you're suffering from Cancer, then God can provide you with access to chemotherapy. God doesn't just do crazy miracles, but he also blesses men and women with the wisdom and the knowledge to be physicians and chemists and pharmacists so that they can be a blessing to you.

Pregnancy is not an sickness or a burden, but it is a gift and a command from God. That's the difference. God said, "Go forth and multiply." By taking birth control you're saying, "No!" or "I'll do it on my own time."
                          If anyone would like to show it from scripture...

Comment

If you are married, which would obviously include sex, and wanted to wait until you had the means (financially) to take care of a child, could it be considered a blessing to be provided with birth control? Someone said in a previous post how medication is a blessing, couldn't birth control, in some cases, be considered a blessing?

And by birth control, I mean any means of contraception. Or even things like a vasectomy, which could bring up probably even more conversations.

Comment

Originally posted by thebaker View Post
                              If you are married, which would obviously include sex, and wanted to wait until you had the means (financially) to take care of a child, could it be considered a blessing to be provided with birth control? Someone said in a previous post how medication is a blessing, couldn't birth control, in some cases, be considered a blessing?

And by birth control, I mean any means of contraception. Or even things like a vasectomy, which could bring up probably even more conversations.
                              No. Birth control contradicts a direct command from God. God's not going to provide you with something to faciliate your fear of lack of finances. Medical procedures that stop the production of life are not blessings, they're sin. Anything that puts you in a position that allows you to direct the course of your life is something to stay away from. God won't be put in the backseat.

Birth Control says that God's timing is not perfect and that he is not a provider.

Comment

Working...
                              X