choosing a church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice: choosing a church

Hi, my name is Joshua Kim and I currently go to a United Methodist church in Long Island where the teachings of the head pastor are all bible based and from what I've seen, there are no contradictions from his teachings and his life. Recently I have decided to attend seminary school for graduate school and have received a couple of offers from churches to serve as a staff member. The two I am really considering are the United Methodist church I currently attend and a Presbyterian church who's pastor I equally admire. choosing between either would also be choosing a denomination which i also heard is necessary in choosing a seminary school(I really know almost nothing about it because I've never even thought about seminary school until a couple of months ago). My main reason I would choose the United Methodist church is because of the head pastor's offer to train me and help me grow(which I also received from the pastor at the Presbyterian church). However, if he were to be sent elsewhere by the bishops I would not for a second consider staying(I guess i would really be choosing the pastor instead of the church). a couple of people in the church are saying at most he will stay for another 2-3 years and i should learn from him during that time and then decide a denomination(I've had a few problems in the past and am about 3 years behind in school, so I would go to seminary school in about 3 years). I've really been praying about it for a couple of months now and I think I should make a decision soon. I know I should make the decision on my own but I really need some help. thank you.

Hi, Joshua.

I've just started going to a new church, and I was blessed to find it. When searching for a new church home, I visited more than a few, and asked the same questions of each church:
    - are they preaching the Gospel and the risen Christ here?
    - do they believe the Bible is the word of God, and is it given full authority in this church?
    - what are the prayers and praise like in this church?
    - what is the fellowship and community like in the church?
    - how will this church home help bring me closer to Christ, and how will it help me bring others closer to Christ?
    - does this church have outreach -- ie, evangelism, or helping those in need, in the community? (It's important to ask yourself this one because Christ wants us to reach out to others. Our churches need to be doing that.)
    - how can you get involved in that church?

Here's a neat article I read a while ago, and it helped me form the questions above, as well as consider others, too. http://www.victorious.org/findchur.htm -- it's about finding a new church, and what someone ought to look for.

Probably the last thing we should consider is who else goes to a particular church. When we're there, we're there to grow in Christ.
    -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
    It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
    So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
    We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
    Warren Barfield

Comment

Working...
    X