Secular Music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Secular Music?

I was just curious as to what all of your thoughts were on this subject. For quite a few months I didn't listen to it because I felt that it wasn't right to do so (because a lot of it has lyrics that aren't God-glorifying at all) and I felt that the Lord didn't want me to listen to it. Recently I stumbled upon some of my CDs and listened to some of them again, at first I was like, "Ah, the good old days!", but then after listening for a few minutes it seemed to be very boring and lackluster, it just didn't seem to have any substance to it. I think that maybe it doesn't mean much to me anymore, but something keeps drawing me back to it for some reason, but I do know that deep down I know that I want my focus to be 100% on the Lord. I am a Pastor now and I have that responsibility and I don't want this type of thing to tempt me in anyway or effect my preaching in any way whatsoever...anyways, sorry for rambling on, but I just wanted to know your thoughts on secular music and if Christians should be listening to it? I hope to get a fruitful discussion going. God bless!
    Jesus Christ is The Way, The Truth, and The Life.

Soli Deo Gloria!

My Video's:
    http://www.youtube.com/thewoodsofjordan

I generally don't listen to secular music. I have a plethora of Christian music in many genres. There are secular songs I like but I avert anything with negative messages/coarse lyrics.
    Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

Comment

i find if i listen to secular music i feel a little guilty about it. but mostly if i listen to it for an extended period of time i find myself slipping back into ways of thought and speech that just doesn't fit me any more, so i just avoid it when ever possible.

Comment

I see both of your points, I guess that's what happens to me as well.

Soli Deo Gloria!

My Video's:

Comment

I have no problem with secular music and often listen to it. Although sometimes I will remove something with a particularly negative message from my playlist.
          Last edited by Izdaari; Aug 18th 2009, 03:28 AM.
          Man's ego is inflated, his laws are outdated, they don't apply no more
          You can't rely no more to be standing around waiting
          In the home of the brave, Jefferson turning over in his grave
          Fools glorifying themselves, trying to manipulate Satan
          And there's a slow, slow train coming up around the bend.

Comment

I listen to secular music as well as Christian music. As long as it's not explicit it seems ok for me to listen to. I listen to a lot of classical music.

Comment

I listen to a lot of secular music as well, so long as it has a positive message i can relate to

Comment

I'm listening to E.S. Posthumus right now (the song Ebla), actually. Not Christian, but probably wouldn't fit most people's definition of secular either. Very orchastral stuff.

Comment

If secular music causes one to sin or to meditate on sin then it would be a good idea to do what Jesus said and "cut it off" wouldn't you think? Would if be a good idea to throw it away, sell it? Any thoughts?

Soli Deo Gloria!

My Video's:

Comment

Do away with anything that causes you to sin. If it's sinful material, trash it.

And stepbystep and Izdaari...I'm sorry to say but you guys are a bit too advanced in age to post here. (25 and under)

Comment

Originally posted by JordanW View Post
                      If secular music causes one to sin or to meditate on sin then it would be a good idea to do what Jesus said and "cut it off" wouldn't you think? Would if be a good idea to throw it away, sell it? Any thoughts?
                      Yep sounds like a plan. However much secular music can be a gift from God and can help you draw close to him in the right circumstances.

For instance when I was in a bad place spiritually God used the song "Far away" by Nickelback to tell me of his love for me, even though I was down.

As a result I have spent many weeks recieving from God and living in intimate relationship with him.

Hardly sinful if God will use it!
                      He's charging into hell and bringing heaven with him!- Rob Bell

"So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir" - Paul - Galations 4:7

Comment

Originally posted by quasar View Post
                        I listen to secular music as well as Christian music. As long as it's not explicit it seems ok for me to listen to. I listen to a lot of classical music.
                        You kidding me! Classical Music is the original Christian music! It has so much power and enthusiasm behind it. Look at some of the titles!

Comment

I listen to it so far, but i have certain criteria for what i listen to nothing that encourages-
                          1. sex or vulgar behaviour
                          2. has in cursing
                          3. encourages violence
                          4. Anything anti christian

Comment

I find the very existence of the "Christian" musical genre to be ridiculous. Genres of music are supposed to be defined by, you know, the music, not the lyrics. Every single other genre is defined by musical qualities--timbre, performance style, etc. "Christian" music is defined by whether the song is about the Christian religion. That is an utterly useless way to classify music (not that genre distinctions on the whole are the most useful things ever, but at least they serve some kind of purpose), and to claim it's your "favorite" or "only" genre is insulting to musicians, because it's suggesting that no matter how good and original and innovative and well-constructed and -performed a song is, it's only worth consideration if it says "Jesus" in the lyrics.

And the existence of "Christian rap" or "country" or whatever is ridiculous, too, because it also elevates genres above all importance--it implies that you don't really care about listening to musically good artists in the rap or country genres (assuming there are any), you merely want to listen to music that fulfills the generic requirements of "rap" or "country," and also says "Jesus." That's rather insulting, no? And it results in every "contemporary Christian" band I've ever heard being content to be utterly unoriginal in every way, merely echoing the broadest tropes of whatever genre they're in, because musical innovation isn't going to be what sells records (not that it is anyway, except in an ideal world, but you know); whether the song has a "good message" will be. This is not only insulting to Christians and musicians, but extremely dangerous; it increases mainstream pop music's artistic stasis at least as much as the latest banal Black Eyed Peas single does, by cynically casting aside considerations of quality or innovation and asking listeners to like something just because it mentions God.

Anyway, here's final proof that music's being "Christian" or not has no bearing on musical quality:

"Christian" music: Bach's Mass in B minor, "Jesus, Take the Wheel"
                            "Secular" music: Winterreise, "Boom Boom Pow"
                            "We are symbols and inhabit symbols; workmen, work, and tools, words and things, birth and death, all are emblems; but we sympathize with the symbols, and being infatuated with the economical uses of things, we do not know that they are thoughts." - Emerson, "The Poet" (Essays, Second Series)

Comment

I can't speak for other people, but I don't believe anyone here is referencing "Christian" as a genre because no such thing exists. A genre is, as you described, a kind of music. What's being discussed is not genre of music...rather the lyrical content of the music itself...Christian or secular. Speaking strictly of sound, style, and composition...I've heard great and horrible Christian music in many genres, just I've heard great and horrible secular music in many genres. But this digresses from the main subject of the thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X