Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, there's nothing quite like "move in day"....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, there's nothing quite like "move in day"....

....especially when you've been moved in for a week, and everyone else is showing up today! I'm in the education program, so I moved in last friday, over a week ago now. I've been to all my classes, I'm already working on assignments and doing readings, that kind of thing. The undergrad programs start this week, so today everyone and their parents and dogs (literally) are showing up to get folks settled in here. This morning I was woken up to music blasting from the parking lot (which is right under my window!) and I think it'll be pounding all day. I plan on spending a LOT of today with my ipod earphones jammed in my ears to drown THAT stuff out.

Official registration time was 8:30 am so I was down there by 8:15, gabbed with a couple girls while waiting... and by the time I'd gotten everything from a picture taken to getting a 'goody bag' to getting my official Res keys to getting my mailbox keys (I essentially went through a registration conga line!) it was 9:25. Overall, not bad. Everything in less than an hour, which is better than I thought it would be.

Right now I'm trying to get used to the constant banging above my head, in the hall behind me, the voices calling back and forth. I know this is the chaos that comes with 'move in day' for everyone, so I just need to get used to it.... and it wouldn't hurt to poke my head out and meet a few hall-mates, I guess. Lately I've been feeling mildly anti-social... I'll talk to people, but I've been just as happy spending time alone! Oh well. There's no such thing as "alone" today.

I have a meeting at 4 with everyone living in my hall, and there's a "fun" meeting at 7.... and rumour has it, somewhere between those two meetings we might just have dinner. I'm more happy about that than I should be -- for the last week I've had to pay cash for food by going downtown (40 minute bus ride) or I've been staying here, eating peanut butter, cheese, crackers, dried fruit pieces and the like.

So..... that's my "move in day" story. My ACTUAL move-in day was uneventful -- my dad and I just dragged my stuff up here, shoved it in, and then went back out to the local Zoo.

Anyone else have any interesting "first day" or "move in day" stories for this year??
    -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
    It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
    So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
    We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
    Warren Barfield

I have one heck of a story when I do move in... (Sept. 19th). So you'll all have to wait for it

Comment

I never lived in residence, but my brother and sister did. I remember one year moving my sister in and about 6 student volunteers descended upon us to take my sister's stuff up. All said and done, everyone only had to take one trip up the stairs.

Comment

Looking forward to it, Xel!

Rebecca.... wow, your sister was lucky!

Warren Barfield

Comment

Right now everyone is out there chanting and woo-hoo-ing and clapping and chanting some more and whistling.... there was no coffee in sight at dinner, so this coffeecat is not out there with them. Just as well. I need to do more readings.... if I can hear myself think.

Warren Barfield

Comment

I have heard such nightmares about Residence living. Oh well I will find out next year when I do my 3rd year exchange abroad. Eep!

Comment

Jenn, I bet you'll do JUST fine, going on exchange. By the by, I noticed from your location that I'm living pretty close to you. Neato. Welcome to Bibleforums also, by the by.

On-topic:

There ARE some good things about residence. Some great things, even. For example, right now I am sitting by myself in my room, with a little pot of coffee allllll for me (it's two mugs full). They've stopped blasting the music outside which they'd had going for the last few days (THANK YOU GOD!), and tonight at dinner I hung out with 3 other girls who are in Res with me, and we had a very good time laughing and carrying on. I've never lived with other girls before, and I've never had dinner on a REGULAR basis with people close to my own age (most of them are 4 or 5 years younger than me, but who cares! Not I, said the CoffeeCat) and I REALLY like that experience. It's fun. It's like permanently being at camp, in a way!

Warren Barfield

Comment

Thank you for the welcome

I use to always think it would be just like camp..but then, you know, at camp we wouldn't have piles of homework to do

Comment

My best advice for those living in the dorms is to find places to go and things to do OUTSIDE of the building. A lot of people spend too much time in their room and don't experience everything that there is at college.

However, some of the friends you meet in the dorm your freshman year will be your best buddies for the rest of college/your life. That definitely holds true for me.

I am a little less excited about dorm life than you, as this is my 4th year. I am a resident advisor, so I get free housing/food to stay here in exchange for my services. You should DEFINITELY look into that for next year, as it lifts a huge financial burden and provides you with some sweet job/community building experience.

Comment

Heya Rightcross Not sure who your advice was pointed towards, but it's GREAT advice for undergrad students in any one of their four years. Usually working for the residence folks does either get you a good discount on your own residence/food, or you get paid entirely in res/food, which really helps... not to mention the life experience you get. For me, I'm technically in my 5th year of university. I did 4 years, got the degree, and this is a 5th year for the Education program. I really wish I could get thoroughly involved in my community, but it'd probably be professional chaos to do so. Oh well, no matter. I'm blessed. I'm not complaining. I made it here, with God's help, and I'm going to be getting involved in my schools etc this year they place me in, so hey.

Warren Barfield

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeCat View Post
                      Looking forward to it, Xel!

Rebecca.... wow, your sister was lucky!
                      Just arrived and got set up at school :O I'll tell the rest of the story once I get some sleep.

Comment

Wow! Glad you had a safe trip in, Xel! Looking forward to hearing your story later!

Warren Barfield

Comment

Working...
                        X