Is Shyness Unchristian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Shyness Unchristian?

I'm a shy person, I won't deny it. When people say "Hello" and "How are you", I'd much rather not answer, because it's senseless, meaningless small talk. I'm also not one to say those kinds of things to people as I see them throughout the day, even to family, coworkers and sometimes friends.

Jesus, it seems to me, was very much an extrovert, a people-person. And ironically, I'm very much into apologetics and evangelism - which requires some degree of outwardness.

So, is does it hurt my witness and is it unchristian to be shy? I'd like to think that I can have a quiet disposition and still be a good example for Christ, even if I'm not exactly the chattiest individual. Granted, if the other person speaks first and gives me something meaningful to work off of, like "What do you want to do in college?" and not that fluff that society loves to give off, I'm much more open. And I'm generally a kind person. Is my situation here acceptable or no?
    Dext3r Ministries, my ministry blog.

Epic God is epic!

You are the Lord, our God. May I live by faith for you.

Hello .

Comment

As a shy person, let me tell you how others view us if we fail to response in socially expected ways: stuck up, conceited, unfriendly. Not exactly how we want they to view us, is it?

Are the typical social greetings meaningless lame fluff? Yep. People don't really want to know how you are or how your day is going. It really means "I'm friendly, how about you?" People generally aren't going to go beyond the meaningless small talk if you won't engage in it...it's a requirement to get to the real meaningful stuff.

Of course, you do have the option of becoming a hermit. But, I never did figure out how religious hermits were really doing anything effective for the Lord.

It seems to me that God loves to use us in ways that require we depend on Him more than ourselves. Thus, He takes an stutter and asks him to confront pharoah; or, He takes an introvert and gives him/her an interest in apologetics and evangelism. That way, the glory goes to God and not us because clearly it is outside of our abilities and comfort zone. That, and God has a sense of humor!

Does it hurt your witness to be shy? No, that's who you are. Does it hurt your witness if you don't talk to people to show that you are interested in them? yep, it does.
      My Blog
      Pentecostal Distinctives
      Easter minus the Bunny, Eggs, and Chocolate
      Pentecost: the Forgotten Holy Day
      Pentecostal Emotionalism or Worship?
      Baptism in the Holy Spirit
      Christians and Vegetarianism/Veganism

Comment

Re: Is Shyness Unchristian?

Shyness is not a good behavior, a person should be positive and broad minded. There are disadvantages in being very shy, but shyness and quietness don't always go together. Quiet people can be very attractive in my opinion, much more so than noisy people.

Comment

Matthew 5:5
          Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

Seems you'll be in good company.
          Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Well, since a 3 year old thread has been resurrected, I shall participate in this one (sorry -SEEKING- ). Shyness is NOT unchristian. There's no where in the Bible which points to that. Some people are just uneasy in a social environment. That's how you are. Not a big deal IMHO.

Comment

Wow, I am entertained and amused to see a thread of mine literally over three years of age has come back from the depths of the forum. How did this even happen?

What is odd is that earlier today, I actually posted another thread relating to my introversion.

Epic God is epic!

Comment

Originally posted by Youssarian View Post
                Wow, I am entertained and amused to see a thread of mine literally over three years of age has come back from the depths of the forum. How did this even happen?

What is odd is that earlier today, I actually posted another thread relating to my introversion.
                Does your introversion stop you from doing what you feel God wants you to do? if it doesn't then what Frecs above in post 3 said must apply..God uses the least of us to show His Glory.
                I think shyness only becomes a problem when we dwell to much upon ourselves, if we put God and others first then it has 'It' has to step aside.
                Forget ourselves and we forget to be shy, works for me often
                Blessings

Comment

Originally posted by claybevan View Post
                  Does your introversion stop you from doing what you feel God wants you to do? if it doesn't then what Frecs above in post 3 said must apply..God uses the least of us to show His Glory.
                  I think shyness only becomes a problem when we dwell to much upon ourselves, if we put God and others first then it has 'It' has to step aside.
                  Forget ourselves and we forget to be shy, works for me often
                  Blessings
                  When this thread was made three years ago, I described myself as shy. Nowadays I wouldn't consider myself shy, just quiet. I don't speak unless I have something to say.

Do I feel it stops me from doing what God wants me to do? While as my other thread indicates that sometimes I do wonder about it, overall I don't think so.

Epic God is epic!

Comment

Originally posted by Youssarian View Post
                    When this thread was made three years ago, I described myself as shy. Nowadays I wouldn't consider myself shy, just quiet. I don't speak unless I have something to say.

Do I feel it stops me from doing what God wants me to do? While as my other thread indicates that sometimes I do wonder about it, overall I don't think so.
                    How refreshing the highlighted bit is!
                    Too many people doing too much talking in todays world! I think if we said a little less folks might listen a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by claybevan View Post
                      How refreshing the highlighted bit is!
                      Too many people doing too much talking in todays world! I think if we said a little less folks might listen a little more.
                      Yeah, if the talkative ones would let me get a word or two in!

Epic God is epic!

Comment

Originally posted by mateusz View Post
                        Shyness is not a good behavior, a person should be positive and broad minded. There are disadvantages in being very shy, but shyness and quietness don't always go together. Quiet people can be very attractive in my opinion, much more so than noisy people.
                        Any comments?

age care community queensland
                        Glenvale Supported Living
                        182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
                        Phone : +61 1300 765 051
                        http://www.glenvalesupportedliving.com.au/
                        Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.

Comment

Well, if I ever move to Australia and need "aged care housing", I'll be sure to look this up.....................

[/sarcasm]

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Tension View Post
                            Well, if I ever move to Australia and need "aged care housing", I'll be sure to look this up.....................

[/sarcasm]
                            "Don't be shy".

Comment

Originally posted by Athanasius View Post
                              "Don't be shy".
                              Ah Athanasius my fellow programmer and theologian (though I'm more of a hobbyist), it's always good to see you around here.

Epic God is epic!

Comment

Working...
                              X