Everyone loves surprises!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone loves surprises!

Anyone here ever had to prepare a sermon/talk in 2 days?

I went to church today and my youth leader surprised me with the news that I was doing a talk this Wednesday at a youth group "dinner". Apparently someone else was supposed to have told me previously, but as it turns out they didn't. Ah Well!...

Now I naturally don't have much time to do lots of in depth study (especially as I'm starting college tommorow!) on any subject or book in the Bible so I'm going to have to firmly rely on God (lots!) if I'm to do anything more than fulfill the role as "preacher". There's going to be people from the ages of 11-16 at this dinner so quite a wide age span compared to what I'm used to.

The ironic thing is that yesterday evening I prayed for God to give me opportunities to glorify God in whatever ministry he is calling me to- Well God certainly has a unique sense of humour alongside his faithfullness. I've been dropped right in the deep end and I'm not quite sure how to swim, I've read all the manuals on swimming but now it's time for practice.

The trouble is I'm not sure where to start- I'm going to pray and worship God very urgently in the next 2 days, but I'm not sure what else.

Any Ideas?!?!?!
    He's charging into hell and bringing heaven with him!- Rob Bell

"So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir" - Paul - Galations 4:7

Do John 3:16 or something small yet bursting with content. You don't want to have too many movements in the passage or you will get bogged down. Make sure you get to the meat and leave plenty of time for application.
    "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
    -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

That's good advice.
      Also - ask God to give you a verse. He may have something he wants to say through you.

Perhaps you have a personal experience which relates.

Write your outline notes on index cards in large bold ink. Practice with them, so the cards are only reminders - should you lose your place.
      Practice in front of a mirror.

Remember to relax.
      You're among friends who want you to do well.
      Don't forget to smile and speak to various (random) individuals - making eye contact.
      Don't fidget.
      Don't sway.
      Gesture meaningfully with your hands.
      Use inflection in your voice. There's nothing worse than listening to a monotone.

Take a few breaths and look around the room before you speak.
      Again -Smile.

One way to relax a croud is to ask them a question while raising your hand.
      (non-verbally inviting them to do the same)
      "have you ever ...?"

Have fun and your audiance will too.

Good luck.

Let us know what you spoke on and how it went.

Comment

Originally posted by Revinius View Post
        Do John 3:16 or something small yet bursting with content. You don't want to have too many movements in the passage or you will get bogged down. Make sure you get to the meat and leave plenty of time for application.
        I think you could be on to something there. I may have to pinch your signiture video as an illustration

I'm thinking maybe I should couple the verse with either Luke 15 (The Lost Son), Romans 8 or Galations 4 to show what exactly God is offering.

I can't say I'm one for 'practicing' in front of the mirror, but I'll certainly be forthcoming with my body language.

As always I'm going to trust in Christ to speak through me into people's hearts. I'm not much of a natural speaker, but as Paul says "His grace is sufficent it's all I need. His power is made perfect in my weakness".

Any other suggestions/advice would be great.
        Thanks

"So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir" - Paul - Galations 4:7

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of Jesus View Post
          I think you could be on to something there. I may have to pinch your signiture video as an illustration

I'm thinking maybe I should couple the verse with either Luke 15 (The Lost Son), Romans 8 or Galations 4 to show what exactly God is offering.

I can't say I'm one for 'practicing' in front of the mirror, but I'll certainly be forthcoming with my body language.

As always I'm going to trust in Christ to speak through me into people's hearts. I'm not much of a natural speaker, but as Paul says "His grace is sufficent it's all I need. His power is made perfect in my weakness".

Any other suggestions/advice would be great.
          Thanks
          I did an 8 minute sermon a few months ago covering 6 verses. It's definately doable to compact things and show people the bare bones of what God is saying. Also, be carefuly about jumping around the Bible if you are new to talks, you dont want to sacrifice the congregation's attention for more biblical validation. Given there age it's prolly just wise to make the point (show them where is says it from the one passage, maybe two), expand upon the point (illustrate), then apply the point to them.

Try your best to come through natural aswell, you can engage with the listeners better if you come off as someone who is conversing with them rather than talking at them. By this, i mean, make your words casual (yet authoritive), you havent seen consternation till you have seen a mate try to communicate something casually that he has written down academically on his sheet (he looked constipated cos he was trying to translate the jargon on his feet).
          "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

Originally posted by Revinius View Post
            I did an 8 minute sermon a few months ago covering 6 verses. It's definately doable to compact things and show people the bare bones of what God is saying. Also, be carefuly about jumping around the Bible if you are new to talks, you dont want to sacrifice the congregation's attention for more biblical validation. Given there age it's prolly just wise to make the point (show them where is says it from the one passage, maybe two), expand upon the point (illustrate), then apply the point to them.

Try your best to come through natural aswell, you can engage with the listeners better if you come off as someone who is conversing with them rather than talking at them. By this, i mean, make your words casual (yet authoritive), you havent seen consternation till you have seen a mate try to communicate something casually that he has written down academically on his sheet (he looked constipated cos he was trying to translate the jargon on his feet).
            Fair enough, I'm trying to get into the habit of not using notes anyway so hopefully that won't be a problem. I don't know how much time i'm going to have but it will probably be about 30-45mins so I might have more than enough time for the scripture.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of Jesus View Post
              Fair enough, I'm trying to get into the habit of not using notes anyway so hopefully that won't be a problem. I don't know how much time i'm going to have but it will probably be about 30-45mins so I might have more than enough time for the scripture.

Thanks again
              Good luck holding the attention of that age group for that long lol.

Comment

Working...
              X