Anyone else applying to college?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else applying to college?

Are there any other seniors in high school applying to colleges this fall? I've got so many essays to write it's killing me.
    Female. 17. Thinking hard about Christ.

Umm...I did last year. I don't recall spending too much time on the essays, since my admission mostly depended on auditions. I only applied to four schools, though, so I guess that's part of it (I know someone who applied to like sixteen, except most of them were Ivy-League or equivalent so he only got into like two).
    "We are symbols and inhabit symbols; workmen, work, and tools, words and things, birth and death, all are emblems; but we sympathize with the symbols, and being infatuated with the economical uses of things, we do not know that they are thoughts." - Emerson, "The Poet" (Essays, Second Series)

Comment

Ah...lucky duck. I'm applying to eleven, and they all have about two required essays each, so....a lot of essays. Some of them are pretty tough to get into, though, so overall I'm glad that I've got a good number laid out.

Comment

Originally posted by SirTanTee View Post
        Some of them are pretty tough to get into, though, so overall I'm glad that I've got a good number laid out.
        Any I would know of?
        "We are symbols and inhabit symbols; workmen, work, and tools, words and things, birth and death, all are emblems; but we sympathize with the symbols, and being infatuated with the economical uses of things, we do not know that they are thoughts." - Emerson, "The Poet" (Essays, Second Series)

Comment

Just out of curiousity, what sort of essay do you need to write? Personal opinion piece? Research? Comparison essay? Position paper? None of the above?
          -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
          It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
          So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
          We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
          Warren Barfield

Comment

Ugh, smart people.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Luke34 View Post
              Any I would know of?
              Maybe. I'm applying to Amherst, William & Mary, Wellesley, University of Virginia, Smith, Dartmouth, Duke. And Kenyon and Grinnell, but I'm slightly scared of those two because they're in cornfields in Ohio. I have never been remotely near a cornfield in my life and the prospect is slightly strange.

Originally posted by CoffeeCat View Post
              Just out of curiousity, what sort of essay do you need to write? Personal opinion piece? Research? Comparison essay? Position paper? None of the above?
              A mix. Some of them are personal opinions, a ton of them are "why do you want to attend school xyz," and there are some random ones which ask you to respond to quotes or write anything fascinating about yourself. Then there are some completely weird ones...I still have to decide how to answer this one: "If you had a rock and a chisel, what would you carve?" Err, golly....

Comment

Originally posted by SirTanTee View Post
                Maybe. I'm applying to Amherst, William & Mary, Wellesley, University of Virginia, Smith, Dartmouth, Duke. And Kenyon and Grinnell, but I'm slightly scared of those two because they're in cornfields in Ohio. I have never been remotely near a cornfield in my life and the prospect is slightly strange.
                Wow, that's quite a list (I'm not sure about Smith and Kenyon, but I definitely know of the rest. I also know two people at Grinnell, which is in Iowa, as I'm sure you know and just made a typo which I am now bothering to mention for some reason). Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X