No announcement yet.

Question about R-Rated movies..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about R-Rated movies..........

I like historic war movies or some that maybe considered historic.I like movies like 300 and Gladiator and a few more.Is it a sin to watch these kind of movies?300 has a few scenes that invovle nudity and sex but i skip all that.Is it sin?I don't really watch anything else r-rated except these.......

It's between you and God.
    Nuff said.
    Always give God credit first.

"Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"
    -Sir Toby, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzword View Post
      It's between you and God.
      Nuff said.
      Which is between God? Watching the R-rated movie or watching explicit sex scenes within the R-rated movie? I would say the [former] is between him and God, the latter isn't.

Comment

If the entire Bible were turned into a movie, there would be plenty of nudity, sex and violence in it. Sometimes depicting nudity, drunkenness and the like is appropriate on screen. Ask yourself why it's there, does it serve to illustrate human sinfulness in a way that reminds us of our need of redemption, or does it glorify the sinful behavior being depicted? A movie like Schindler's List is much different than Fight Club. Schindler's List used nudity to show viewers that Schindler's aid to the Jews was noble, but his morals behind closed doors were not. Iron-Man shows how wealth and alcohol can corrupt someone and later how wealth and intellect can be used to benefit others.

Scripture isn't bashful about it's use of sexual imagery to make valid points:

Proverbs 5:16 uses the imagery of 'springs' to illustrate the folly of male sexual promiscuity. The Hebrew word used there refers to male semen. And of course, there's Ezekiel's description of idolatrous Israel's partners as 'gifted' donkeys whose seminal emissions were like that of horses (Ezekiel 23:20).
        Last edited by scourge39; Oct 14th 2008, 07:27 AM. Reason: Further explanation

Comment

Originally posted by scourge39 View Post
          If the entire Bible were turned into a movie, there would be plenty of nudity, sex and violence in it. Sometimes depicting nudity, drunkenness and the like is appropriate on screen. Ask yourself why it's there, does it serve to illustrate human sinfulness in a way that reminds us of our need of redemption, or does it glorify the sinful behavior being depicted? A movie like Schindler's List is much different than Fight Club. Schindler's List used nudity to show viewers that Schindler's aid to the Jews was noble, but his morals behind closed doors were not. Iron-Man shows how wealth and alcohol can corrupt someone and later how wealth and intellect can be used to benefit others.

Scripture isn't bashful about it's use of sexual imagery to make valid points:

Proverbs 5:16 uses the imagery of 'springs' to illustrate the folly of male sexual promiscuity. The Hebrew word used there refers to male semen. And of course, there's Ezekiel's description of idolatrous Israel's partners as 'gifted' donkeys whose seminal emissions were like that of horses (Ezekiel 23:20).
          ^this^

Prime example is 300.
          There are two major sex scenes in the movie, one between Leonidas and his wife, the other a drunken orgy in Xerxes' tent.

The two are used with other images in the film as juxtaposition between the pure warrior spirit of the Spartans, and the barbaric tendencies of the Persians.
          Always give God credit first.

"Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"
          -Sir Toby, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

James 1:19

Comment

I don't look at things like "is this a sin or not?" because sometimes things aren't technically stated as sinful in the Bible but you still shouldn't do it. I think a lot of the times asking that question is a way to justify inappropriate behavior.

Instead, I say "would I do/say/watch this if Jesus was sitting right here?"

Comment

Originally posted by SeekingWisdom View Post

Instead, I say "would I do/say/watch this if Jesus was sitting right here?"
              If you're a believer, the Spirit indwells you and abides with you continually. The Holy Spirit is called the Spirit of Jesus several times in the NT. Don't forget, God is also omnipresent. So there's never a time when Jesus is not seeing what we do. We can't escape his presence, so the above 'litmus test' is a false one.

Comment

Originally posted by scourge39 View Post
                If you're a believer, the Spirit indwells you and abides with you continually. The Holy Spirit is called the Spirit of Jesus several times in the NT. Don't forget, God is also omnipresent. So there's never a time when Jesus is not seeing what we do. We can't escape his presence, so the above 'litmus test' is a false one.
                Thanks but this comment is irrelevant to the one I made considering the context of this conversation.

Of course Jesus sees everything but do you think people are thinking about that when they are watching nudity and orgies on TV? Or are they thinking "is this technically sinful because it's historical and the bible has sex too. I am not watching for the sex I am watching for the history".

Therefore my point was don't try to squirm your way out of admitting when something is wrong. Instead look to the side of you and imagine Jesus is sitting right there. Now that you see Him ask yourself if you'd still do what you were about to do.

I don't want to be dragged into an argument over this so that's all I have to say. Have a nice day.

Comment

It's not irrelevant. It assumes a wrong view of God's abiding presence.

A cinematic portrayal of David's sin with Bathsheba would not teach the lesson Scripture intends without showing something that directly points to their affair. I doubt that it would impact viewers at all. I'm not advocating watching gratuitous sex for the sake of watching sex. If a movie shows a graphic sex scene and then the rest of the story deals with the consequences of promiscuity/ adultery (pregnancy, divorce, etc.), that's a positive use of sex on screen. People contemplating illicit sex and adultery may need that kind of shock to be brought to their senses.

Comment

tell you what go online and look up clean movies, I got a pg-13 version of 300 on there

Comment

So im guessing its ok?I don't watch to many r-rated unless its worth seeing.....oh and I go to christiananswers.net for movie reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc2x View Post
                        So im guessing its ok?I don't watch to many r-rated unless its worth seeing.....oh and I go to christiananswers.net for movie reviews.
                        As long as they are causing you to sin, such as through lust or idolatry or such, I see nothing wrong with it, speaking from a Biblical standpoint. However, it may be wise to be on your guard when you watch R rated movies.

In regard to scourge's point about the Bible being sexual, check out Ezekiel 23 for a lesson on how God sees sin.
                        "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

More than anything else with movies in general, especially those with more graphic violence/sex, make sure that you are watching movies critically. I don't think that you would let yourself listen to music with explicit lyrics while you are really sleepy or not paying attention, and yet we often let ourselves watch movies that argue for terrible worldviews and images of God and man without a second thought. We refuse to think about what movies are trying to prove, and get swept up in the entertainment or intensity of it. Watching a movie with a terrible worldview is the same as listening to music with explicit lyrics: do it with a critical mind and an attempt to learn things from it, but don't do it just for entertainment.

Examples (I am not trying to be extensive, but I'm just giving a taste):
                          Cast Away: This movie argues for an existentialist view of reality, in which the only thing man can control is his death. When the main character fails to hang himself, he fails to actualize himself and fails in his greatest achievement. The world has nothing for him when he returns; there is no glory in living life. Death is ultimate reality: it must be embraced.

The Matrix Trilogy: In this trilogy the ability/will of man is worshiped. Neo is not the "One" until he wants to be. He is able to be the "One" when he wants; he is actualized. It is his choice; he is the greatest power in his life.

I could go into this much more, but let me know what you think and what some worldviews of other movies are.

Thanks,
                          Levin
                          “The Bible is essentially an open, artistic, imaginative narrative of God’s staggering care for the world, a narrative that will feed and nurture into obedience that builds community precisely by respect for the liberty of the Christian man or woman.”

-Walter Brueggemann

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                            The Matrix Trilogy: In this trilogy the ability/will of man is worshiped. Neo is not the "One" until he wants to be. He is able to be the "One" when he wants; he is actualized. It is his choice; he is the greatest power in his life.

I could go into this much more, but let me know what you think and what some worldviews of other movies are.

Thanks,
                            Levin
                            I'm pretty certain that Neo did not choose to be the "One". There is a difference (if not subtly) between being the "One" and denying or being ignorant of this fact, and choosing to become the "One" as an act of conscious will. Besides, we wouldn't want to insult all the Christian pastors who used the - supposedly - Messianic imagery in the Matrix.

Comment

Certainly there is Messianic imagery in the Matrix. I would argue that in these movies Neo in some way also is shown to choose this path as an actualization of himself. I don't see a contradiction between the two.
                              “The Bible is essentially an open, artistic, imaginative narrative of God’s staggering care for the world, a narrative that will feed and nurture into obedience that builds community precisely by respect for the liberty of the Christian man or woman.”

-Walter Brueggemann

Comment

Working...
                              X