The Hobbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hobbit

What great potential gone to waste. The opening was excellent and Bilbo was portrayed perfectly, but the story was way embellished, all sorts of things were added, the CG was absolutely unnecessary, and Peter Jackson seems to be under the impression that The Hobbit was an action book.

Worth seeing, for sure. But somewhat disappointing. What did you think of it?
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    -R.A. Heinlein

Re: The Hobbit

Haven't seen it yet, but I will.

I hate the fact that Jackson decided that in order to maximize commercialization that it was necessary to re-write the book.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
      Haven't seen it yet, but I will.

I hate the fact that Jackson decided that in order to maximize commercialization that it was necessary to re-write the book.
      I'd say "add to" no rewrite. The skeleton of The Hobbit is intact. Only lengthened with stuff added to it. Still annoying though.
      A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
      -R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Having never read the book, would you still have enjoyed it?
        This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

You will enjoy it more if you haven't read the book - especially if you are one of those people bothered by over-the-top additions to the book's plot.
          -R.A. Heinlein

Comment

That's good to know. I've never read any of them. But I do enjoy the movies.
            This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

From what I understand he added other parts of stories from the Middle Earth universe to The Hobbit to flesh things out. I think it's a great idea myself but until I see the movie I won't know if the final product is as good as the concept. Of course that from the perspective of a guy that has read everything Tolkien I could get my hands on multiple times over the years. I'm sure I've read just The Hobbit & LOTR dozens of times each.

I admit that I would have rather seen The Hobbit done just as the book was written ( Poems/Songs and all!) but what the heck, if the movies suck I can always just reread the book. Which I'll most likely do anyway.
              Day by day
              Oh Dear Lord
              Three things I pray
              To see thee more clearly
              Love thee more dearly
              Follow thee more nearly
              Day by day

Comment

Originally posted by BrianW View Post
                From what I understand he added other parts of stories from the Middle Earth universe to The Hobbit to flesh things out. I think it's a great idea myself but until I see the movie I won't know if the final product is as good as the concept. Of course that from the perspective of a guy that has read everything Tolkien I could get my hands on multiple times over the years. I'm sure I've read just The Hobbit & LOTR dozens of times each.

I admit that I would have rather seen The Hobbit done just as the book was written ( Poems/Songs and all!) but what the heck, if the movies suck I can always just reread the book. Which I'll most likely do anyway.
                It's definitely worth watching if you enjoy Tolkien as much as I do (as you apparently do). Some of the other stuff is interesting in that it shows stuff from the LOTR lore overall, but a lot of it involves plot additions that are more distracting that interesting if you have in your mind how the book actually goes. Definitely worth a watch anyways.
                -R.A. Heinlein

Comment

This first one would have to be so badly done that I was seething in rage and leaving the theater before the end of it for me not to watch all of them.

I could see that happening though.
                  Day by day
                  Oh Dear Lord
                  Three things I pray
                  To see thee more clearly
                  Love thee more dearly
                  Follow thee more nearly
                  Day by day

Comment

Originally posted by BrianW View Post
                    This first one would have to be so badly done that I was seething in rage and leaving the theater before the end of it for me not to watch all of them.

I could see that happening though.
                    Oh I was in rage. But I'll be there for the initial midnight show of Part II just like I was for this one!
                    -R.A. Heinlein

Comment

That was my chief frustration with The Two Towers and Return of the King - a couple of the areas where Jackson deviated from the book, he didn't quite hit the right "notes", in my opinion. For example, in the Two Towers, during the Helm's Deep battle, when the elves arrive but then are mostly wiped out moments later. Ugh.

When he stuck to the book (or made the book work for the medium of film), Jackson did very, very well...when he added his own little flourishes (i.e. "dwarf tossing")...hmmm.
                      The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

Comment

Originally posted by the rookie View Post
                        That was my chief frustration with The Two Towers and Return of the King - a couple of the areas where Jackson deviated from the book, he didn't quite hit the right "notes", in my opinion. For example, in the Two Towers, during the Helm's Deep battle, when the elves arrive but then are mostly wiped out moments later. Ugh.

When he stuck to the book (or made the book work for the medium of film), Jackson did very, very well...when he added his own little flourishes (i.e. "dwarf tossing")...hmmm.

I loved the Dwarf tossing....still cannot stop giggling about it.

I agree with the issues with Helms Deep: though I have not seen the trillogy in some time. Yet I just finished the entire series (again, Lord knows how many times I have read everything Tolken wrote).

I will see it next weekend, as my work is too congested right now to see The Hobbit: but from the previews, I can already see that I may have issues with it.
                        "You're gonna make a difference when you lay down your life, and in complete submission to God, choose to die with Him in service to other people."
                        "Sometimes it concerns me, you know, the number of people that can quote my songs, and-- or they can quote the songs of several different people, but they can't quote the Scriptures."
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLFGZ6zpeI
                        Rich Mullins

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father

Comment

Oh, I laughed - and thought it was "cute" - but also was struck by how cheesy it was compared to the epic scope. Enjoyable, but too cornball. There were a few of those kinds of moments in the trilogy that were a bit over the top for me. ("I can't carry the ring, Master Frodo....BUT I CAN CARRY YOU!!")
                          The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

Comment

Originally posted by the rookie View Post
                            Oh, I laughed - and thought it was "cute" - but also was struck by how cheesy it was compared to the epic scope. Enjoyable, but too cornball. There were a few of those kinds of moments in the trilogy that were a bit over the top for me. ("I can't carry the ring, Master Frodo....BUT I CAN CARRY YOU!!")
                            Admit it... just had to give a bit of a nod to the homo/erotic crowd, wasn't it?

As to The Hobbit, just the brief trailer with Thorin and the dwarves singing about The Lonely Mountain at Bilbo's was enough to get me there.

Comment

Uncomfortably true, on both points.
                              The Rookie

Comment

Working...
                              X