The Hobbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hobbit

I'm not so sure about that myself. I read The Hobbit and TLOTR when I was very young and didn't get around to the rest until many years later.
    To be honest if it wasn't for the great love I have for The Hobbit and LOTR books I doubt I would have enjoyed any of the rest of it at all and if I had started with The Silmarillion I might not have bothered to read any of the rest of his writings.
    Different strokes for different folks eh? It's all subjective but I've always viewed The Silmarillion as nothing more than an incomplete appendix. I did quite enjoy The Children of Húrin though and was very glad that His son took the time to put it all together and get it published.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Comment

The one thing I would have liked to have seen, is how Saruman become corrupt
      Prayer without faith, is like a car without an engine

There are many roads to damnation, but only one Road to Salvation

Comment

Originally posted by trance750 View Post
        The one thing I would have liked to have seen, is how Saruman become corrupt
        He got corrupted by using the Palantir of Orthanic, exposing himself to Sauron and his will. Sauron had the original and most powerful of the seeing stones, the Ithil Stone. And while Sauron had no physical form, and was weakened without his ring, he was still more powerful then Saruman and able to prey on his weakness. In the "Return of the King", Aragon, after revealing himself to Sauron, wrestles away control of the seeing stone from him.
        "You're gonna make a difference when you lay down your life, and in complete submission to God, choose to die with Him in service to other people."
        "Sometimes it concerns me, you know, the number of people that can quote my songs, and-- or they can quote the songs of several different people, but they can't quote the Scriptures."
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLFGZ6zpeI
        Rich Mullins

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father

Comment

Working...
        X