Lets play hypothetical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Lets play hypothetical?

I've got a set of hypothetical questions and was wondering how some of you would answer them. They're hypothetical, so it's very easy to say you would do this or that because "the Bible tells us to", but please try to answer honestly (I know how easy it is to pull out 2 Corinthians 6:14 and Luke 14:26-27):

1. Would you enter into a relationship with a non-Christian
    2. Would you enter into a relationship with a girl or boy from a Christian background, but who is away from God but had previously accepted Christ (for various reasons)?
    3. Would you continue in a relationship if, at the beginning the both of you were Christian, but the person you're with starts rejecting the Lord

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
    I've got a set of hypothetical questions and was wondering how some of you would answer them. They're hypothetical, so it's very easy to say you would do this or that because "the Bible tells us to", but please try to answer honestly (I know how easy it is to pull out 2 Corinthians 6:14 and Luke 14:26-27):

1. Would you enter into a relationship with a non-Christian
    2. Would you enter into a relationship with a girl or boy from a Christian background, but who is away from God but had previously accepted Christ (for various reasons)?
    3. Would you continue in a relationship if, at the beginning the both of you were Christian, but the person you're with starts rejecting the Lord

1. Yes, though it would depend on factors other than their faith or lack thereof (personality, interests, etc.)

2. Yes. See #1. Especially if they were in "seeking" mode, having rejected what they were raised with and in search of something that is their own.

3. Define "rejecting." I'd gladly stay with them if they were doubting, which seems to only lead to rejection when no one steps in to help.
    Always give God credit first.

"Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"
    -Sir Toby, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzword View Post
      1. Yes, though it would depend on factors other than their faith or lack thereof (personality, interests, etc.)

2. Yes. See #1. Especially if they were in "seeking" mode, having rejected what they were raised with and in search of something that is their own.

3. Define "rejecting." I'd gladly stay with them if they were doubting, which seems to only lead to rejection when no one steps in to help.
      Rejecting... Meaning they reject God then come to a point where they deny Him.

Comment

Rejecting... Meaning they reject God then come to a point where they deny Him.
        I think it would depend on WHY she (I'm dating a female in this hypothetical example) was rejecting Christianity.
        It would also depend on the overall state of the relationship at the time.

If her rejection is based on circumstances, I'd feel able to help her get past her circumstances.
        If it is based on the words, actions, or attitudes of "christians," I'd point out that each of us have personal problems that God helps us through, and give examples from my life.

If the relationship is going downhill fast BEFORE this comes up, then I'd probably end the relationship and try to help her as a friend instead.

"Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"

Comment

I think it would depend on WHY she (I'm dating a female in this hypothetical example) was rejecting Christianity.
          It would also depend on the overall state of the relationship at the time.

If her rejection is based on circumstances, I'd feel able to help her get past her circumstances.
          If it is based on the words, actions, or attitudes of "christians," I'd point out that each of us have personal problems that God helps us through, and give examples from my life.

If the relationship is going downhill fast BEFORE this comes up, then I'd probably end the relationship and try to help her as a friend instead.
          Can I ask you a question then; why would you (depending on factors) enter into a relationship with a non-Christian, but potentially end a relationship with a Christian who is "back sliding" to the point where they may deny God?

Comment

Can I ask you a question then; why would you (depending on factors) enter into a relationship with a non-Christian, but potentially end a relationship with a Christian who is "back sliding" to the point where they may deny God?
            Neither entering nor leaving the relationship is directly connected to her faith, neither problems with nor lack thereof.

If we shared interests, hobbies, etc. and had no large personality clashes, I'd have no problem dating her.

Similarly, if we were fighting all the time or she kept throwing away money and acting like I was obligated to pay her debts for her, even if she was a very strong Christian I'd have no qualms about ending the relationship.

I wouldn't end the relationship if she was backsliding simply BECAUSE she was backsliding. If she was backsliding and there were no other relationship problems, I'd help her through it.

There are more reasons to begin or end relationships than just those dealing with Christianity.

Comment

Neither entering nor leaving the relationship is directly connected to her faith, neither problems with nor lack thereof.

If we shared interests, hobbies, etc. and had no large personality clashes, I'd have no problem dating her.

Similarly, if we were fighting all the time or she kept throwing away money and acting like I was obligated to pay her debts for her, even if she was a very strong Christian I'd have no qualms about ending the relationship.

I wouldn't end the relationship if she was backsliding simply BECAUSE she was backsliding. If she was backsliding and there were no other relationship problems, I'd help her through it.

There are more reasons to begin or end relationships than just those dealing with Christianity.
              Would I then be right in saying that belief about God is important, but it is only a factor in a set of factors - it is not the defining factor? Christian, non-Christian, you'd consider a relationship with any girl assuming you shared interests, hobbies, etc? Am I right in saying that?

Comment

Hypothetical, Lets see...

1. No unless would be Hosea:

Then said the LORD unto me, Go yet, love a woman beloved of her friend, yet an adulteress, according to the love of the LORD toward the children of Israel, who look to other gods, and love flagons of wine. Hosea 3:1.

2. No, only in case God would show otherwise, seeing re:#1 this one is not that far.

3. Probably bearing in mind ...they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; 1 Peter 3:1 but applied to the husband, viceversa.

Go well
                Stay healthy

"Think white and get serious"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga
                  Would I then be right in saying that belief about God is important, but it is only a factor in a set of factors - it is not the defining factor? Christian, non-Christian, you'd consider a relationship with any girl assuming you shared interests, hobbies, etc? Am I right in saying that?
                  Yep!
                  Assuming I'm not looking for a wife.

Comment

Yep!
                    Assuming I'm not looking for a wife.
                    Alright; so you'll date anyone. But when looking for a wife... Must be Christian?

Comment

Originally posted by σяєяυииєя View Post
                      Hypothetical, Lets see...

1. No unless would be Hosea:

Then said the LORD unto me, Go yet, love a woman beloved of her friend, yet an adulteress, according to the love of the LORD toward the children of Israel, who look to other gods, and love flagons of wine. Hosea 3:1.

2. No, only in case God would show otherwise, seeing re:#1 this one is not that far.

3. Probably bearing in mind ...they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; 1 Peter 3:1 but applied to the husband, viceversa.

Go well
                      You believe then, on account of Hosea, that it's possible for God to call a Christian into a relationship with a non-Christian as an example, or as a means for that non-Christian to, upon seeing the lived out (not just words) witness of the Christian, come to God?

If I'm understanding you correctly, do you feel this conflicts with 2 Corinthians 6:14; and do you feel 2 Corinthians 6:14 to be an absolute prohibition, or merely a warning against [becoming unequally yolked]?

Comment

Alright; so you'll date anyone. But when looking for a wife... Must be Christian?
                        Yes. I believe that marriage needs to be God-centered, so marrying an atheist, etc, wouldn't be an option for me.

If Question 3 happened in a marriage relationship, it is my duty to get to the real source of the problem, and with God's help bring her back.

Comment

Yes. I believe that marriage needs to be God-centered, so marrying an atheist, etc, wouldn't be an option for me.

If Question 3 happened in a marriage relationship, it is my duty to get to the real source of the problem, and with God's help bring her back.
                          How do you view dating? And if [3] were to happen outside of marriage (though was part of a relationship where marriage was the goal), then what?

Comment

If One would allow the feelings to rule over the reason, then that one would also seek and excuse in order to satisfy the feellings.

...they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 2 Peter 3:16

For example:

But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn. 1 Corinthians 7:9.

In this matter my perspective would be: I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I. 1 Corinthians 7:8

But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

13And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

14For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

15But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. 1 Corinthians 7:8,12-15

Fareyewell
                            Stay healthy

"Think white and get serious"

sigpic

Comment

How do you view dating? And if [3] were to happen outside of marriage (though was part of a relationship where marriage was the goal), then what?
                              I see dating as more lighthearted, generally, with both people in it more to have fun and get to know each other, than to pursue matrimony.

While dating CAN lead to deeper commitment, I don't think anyone is OBLIGATED to only date with finding a spouse in mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X