Fantasy Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Games

Hey guys. I was wondering what you think of fantasy games that involve themes of magic and/or the occult. Examples might be the the Final Fantasy series and the Resident Evil series.

Please discuss...
    "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -Mahatma Gandhi

They're AWESOME!

I loooooooooove fantasy games, always have.

Getting to explore a completely separate world, or our own under supernatural circumstances, has always been a great treat for my imagination, in games and literature.

I still have my original copy of Final Fantasy VII (best in the series IMO).

I see Resident Evil as more horror/sci-fi than fantasy, because the circumstances are created by science instead of some supernatural force.
    Always give God credit first.

"Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"
    -Sir Toby, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

James 1:19

Comment

besides apologetic works fantasy is the only thing i read. i even write fantasy books. anything devling to much into the occult i avoid, but i don't think there's harm in a good old fashoned adventure!

i'd put narnia into fantasy, and cs lewis was super christian. magic doesn't equil pure evil. i mean, if you take life way to seriously it does, but i don't. i seem to have found the line where i can be at ease about stories made up by people, and avoid actual occult works made to support satan.

resident evil ruled, however, i wouldn't play it anymore. it is cool, but crosses my line, so i'd say a no to that. but that's just me.
      Last edited by ilovemetal; Oct 29th 2008, 11:45 PM. Reason: edit.

Comment

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Final Fantasy series.
        "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

nothing wrong with a fantasy world as long as it stays just that. If you look at the example of cult things like star trek, you can see how one genre has so consumed many peoples lives that it has blurred their idea of reality a little. Fantasy games/books should be used like a holiday would be used, where the mind can get away and temporarily explore another world, but without neglecting the world we already exist in.
          "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
          -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

you also do have to watch yourself with games like resident evil because the basis of them is fear, and I feel that is one way the devil slips into our lives.

Comment

as long as it's a healthy fear that is always trumped by fear of the lord, it's all good.
              "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
              -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

I'm just about to write a book which is set in a fantasy world and revolves around God. Odd combination I know, the closest thing to it that I can think of would be G.P.Taylor's books (Shadowmancer, Wormwood, Tersius).

One thing I find interesting is that after getting 'Fable II' (a fantasy game full of moral choices) I can't be an evil character, I just can't. I want to do good things, even if it's on a computer game!

Fantasy in general is brilliant- not quite sure why some people are opposed to it. It's not exactly like it's propaganda for wizard recruiting.
                He's charging into hell and bringing heaven with him!- Rob Bell

"So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir" - Paul - Galations 4:7

Comment

I personally love fantasy and have no problem with it as long as people realize it's fantasy and keep it that way. Fantasy books are most of what I read, I love them, and I've also played multiple fantasy games (not the ones you mentioned, but some others, especially computer games). People are too up-tight about it, saying that it leads to the occult and all, but that is craziness. 99% of fantasy books end with the good side winning and you can find references to God in many of them too.

Comment

Heres the thing:

Some people play these games to fit in with a group of friends. They end up using the games to get friends or some kind of status, what happens is- is they put the game on a pedestal and they start to rely on it.

Demons see this, that some one has put an object in a high immovable place in their life and the demons will use this as a door to get to us. thats what i believe.

I personally play world of warcraft and it has magic and spells and stuff but i know in my heart that it is not real. Im actually trying to create a Christian group in the game I also like to listen to the Christian radio station that has Bible studies and Pastors on all the time, that way while im sitting playing a game i can listen and learn more about God and the Bible so that im not stagnant.

Pray and ask God what to do and im sure He will show you what is best for you

Comment

Keep up the good work!

Originally posted by locboxx View Post
                      Heres the thing:

Some people play these games to fit in with a group of friends. They end up using the games to get friends or some kind of status, what happens is- is they put the game on a pedestal and they start to rely on it.

Demons see this, that some one has put an object in a high immovable place in their life and the demons will use this as a door to get to us. thats what i believe.

I personally play world of warcraft and it has magic and spells and stuff but i know in my heart that it is not real. Im actually trying to create a Christian group in the game I also like to listen to the Christian radio station that has Bible studies and Pastors on all the time, that way while im sitting playing a game i can listen and learn more about God and the Bible so that im not stagnant.

Pray and ask God what to do and im sure He will show you what is best for you
                      I have played WOW before, and I understand the hopelessness that some who play this game have. I just want to encourage you to keep up the good work, and continue evangelizing in all walks of life. If you've stopped with this idea, don't worry, everyone doesn't think the same (I have tried and failed on many such ventures), and all of us have fallen short of God's glory. Just wanted you to keep this up.

Comment

Part of fantasy games is that it is fantasy.

The biggest threat from these things is that it may take away your time from God, hence becoming an idol. Do not take time away from God just to play a silly game.

On that note, I do play video games somewhat and play the card game Magic the Gathering. I do not make them part of my life, especially since I don't play them that much. I used to be really into video games and such, but now I realize how much of a time-waster it could be.

Just remember that it is only a game.
                        Without Jesus, the world would be naught.

John 1:1-5
                        1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

Comment

Working...
                        X