Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Christian study about psychology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Christian study about psychology?

This is one of the confusing matter for myself.

I liked studying personality,which is part of psychology.

Should a Christian read up things like psychology?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by SilentThinker View Post
    This is one of the confusing matter for myself.

I liked studying personality,which is part of psychology.

Should a Christian read up things like psychology?

Thanks in advance
    Are you asking whether every Christian should study it or are you asking whether people think it is ok for a Christian to study it (is it a sin)?

Comment

I don't see a problem with it, as long as the Christian doesn't get swept into it. The more you study the depravity of the human condition...

Comment

I think it depends. If you have good discernment than I think that it's ok. I do believe there are some people who have something wrong physically in their brains (certain mood disorders and stuff like that), and that would be considered psychology. I believe God made us with a psychological aspect, and just like studying health and our bodies, we shouldn't just shun off help from a psychologist if it is truly needed. But I think we need to use a great deal of discernment when it comes to deciding who really needs it, and then when it comes to what we take in from psychologists. While some psychology is ok in my opinion, there are other parts of it that are pretty whack and completely against scripture. So basically, yes, it's ok... as long as discernment is carefully practiced.

Comment

I'm baffled as to why the study of psychology would be considered "un-Christian" by anyone ever. I mean, really, why? I don't get it.
          "We are symbols and inhabit symbols; workmen, work, and tools, words and things, birth and death, all are emblems; but we sympathize with the symbols, and being infatuated with the economical uses of things, we do not know that they are thoughts." - Emerson, "The Poet" (Essays, Second Series)

Comment

I'm a Psych Major (graduate with a BA this summer) at a state university (SUNY STONYBROOK!!!) and I've found it encouraging. Things God has shown me in these classes:

We are NOT as smart as we think we are.
            God doesn't need a degree to use us.
            Much of what we "know" we really assume based on other assumptions.
            Logic and Reason Skills

Also, I am excited because I believe that God wants me to be a Young Life Leader and this will require being in personal relationships with lots of lost kids. I now have a bit more knowledge about how to approach people in different situations, also, more understanding about their worldviews at different stages of development.

So yeah, Christians can study psychology, just can't make it the rock we stand on. If anything is taught that doesn't jive with Scripture, you mark it down under "speculative theories" and memorize the info for the test. That's what we do in biology class, right? Except when they try and teach that morality evolved... then I ask questions.

Chris

Comment

It's about as sinful as studying physics.

However, MilitaryWife definitely has a point in that there is a secular view (think Sigmund Freud) and a Godly view.

And RentHead1888 DEFINITELY hit the nail on the head, no matter WHAT anyone studies.

It's all about using it to glorify God; if studying psychology will do that, then DO IT!!! God brings Christians to psychology for a good reason - I've had to visit a Christian psychologist before, and it is definitely refreshing that the guy who was helping me out knew where I was coming from Christian-wise. If it was a secular dude...well...then I don't think I would have gotten as far with them.
              Without Jesus, the world would be naught.

John 1:1-5
              1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

Comment

Synthesizing Scripture with psychology can be helpful. I used to be dogmatically opposed to it until I took Pastoral Counseling in seminary. Some of the best books I've ever read in my life were part of that class. I recognize the value of psychology when it doesn't supercede Scripture. The key is to have a working knowledge of Scripture, Theology and Psychology and to make sure that Scripture is always the final authority above psychological theory. The following books are all written by Bible-believing Evangelicals who fully accept the authority of Scripture. I highly recommend them to anybody interested in this topic.

The Integration of Psychology and Theology by John D. Carter and S. Bruce Narramore is a classic and does NOT make Scripture subservient to psychological theory. It's an inexpensive, easy read.

Biblical Concepts for Christian Counseling: A Case for Integrating Psychology and Theology by William T. Kirwan is another great book that goes into more detail than Carter and Narramore.

Psychology & Christianity : With Contributions by Gary R. Collins ... Et Al is a great exchange between 4 Christian psychologists discussing various ways to integrate Scripture and psychology.

Care for the Soul: Exploring the Intersection of Psychology & Theology by Mark R. McMinn and Timothy R. Phillips. This is the best book on the subject, hands down. It's worth its weight in gold.

Psychology, Theology, and Spirituality in Christian Counseling (AACC Library) by Mark R. McMinn. A great introduction to the topic, which served as my Pastoral Counseling textbook.

Comment

We live in physical bodies bound and regulated by chemical processes. Nothing sinful about studying these processes and applying the science relating to them.

Comment

yea man. studying psychology is definately a good thing. Sometimes they might try and teach you some iffy stuff that doesnt really go with what you believe. But as long as you know the truth, psychology can help you better understand yourself and help better understand other people. And when you have better understanding, that can lead to having better compassion and being able to help people more effectively.

Comment

Okay I just took Intro to Psychology, and I am totally baffled as to how this is even a question?!? I mean, any subject you take in school (history, biology, astronomy, political science, sociology, etc. etc.) COULD, and probably does, include something you disagree with, or something you think is not consistent with the Bible. But we all interpret the Bible differently so even we would not agree.

Everyone's religous beliefs are different, and someone is bound to be wrong. They can't offer "Psychology for Protestants" and "Psychology for Muslims," etc. They can only offer the most objective material possible. Now when professors go on anti-Christian rants, I hate that!

Comment

I'm taking a break from Bible studies by reading Sigmund Freud, and I'm having a blast. Christians should venture fearlessly into further education of many types. Do not worry as the Lord is to be revealed no matter what is uncovered.
                        "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?'
                        And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'"
                        Isaiah 6:8

Comment

I love psychology. It helps you understand people. If you can understand them better, you have a better chance of witnessing to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Biastai View Post
                            I'm taking a break from Bible studies by reading Sigmund Freud, and I'm having a blast. Christians should venture fearlessly into further education of many types. Do not worry as the Lord is to be revealed no matter what is uncovered.
                            I concur that one should expand ones horizons, but not at the loss of time with the Lord. That's like exchanging the baby for the bath water. :S
                            "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
                            -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

Originally posted by Biastai View Post
                              Not in the writings of Freud...

Comment

Working...
                              X