Bible interpretation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bible interpretation

What are the arguements as to why sexual relations before marriage is forbidden, yet we have more of a cultural interpretation of other texts such as of stoning, leaving the city while having menstruation etc...?

Re: Bible interpretation

1. As per Genesis 1 + 2, sexuality is expressed within and in relation to marriage; it's proper expression is between a husband and wife by design
    2. It's unwise
    3. It's potentially dangerous
    4. It will create connections (i.e. emotionally) between people that are not meant to be created outside of marriage
    5. It can cause trust issues in future relationships, particularly within marriage
    6. It can cause resentment in future relationships, particularly within marriage
    7. You will find it difficult if your spouse is a virgin and you aren't when you get married (i.e. you'll feel like an idiot)
    8. It's not as fun, enjoyable, etc., with someone other than your spouse
    9. It's overrated

So you have teleological reasons, moral reasons, philosophical reasons (i.e. wisdom), and so on. Different from stoning as stoning is punishment for 'X', and menstruation laws were for 'health and safety'. Neither is really comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by Athanasius View Post
      1. As per Genesis 1 + 2, sexuality is expressed within and in relation to marriage; it's proper expression is between a husband and wife by design
      2. It's unwise
      3. It's potentially dangerous
      4. It will create connections (i.e. emotionally) between people that are not meant to be created outside of marriage
      5. It can cause trust issues in future relationships, particularly within marriage
      6. It can cause resentment in future relationships, particularly within marriage
      7. You will find it difficult if your spouse is a virgin and you aren't when you get married (i.e. you'll feel like an idiot)
      8. It's not as fun, enjoyable, etc., with someone other than your spouse
      9. It's overrated

So you have teleological reasons, moral reasons, philosophical reasons (i.e. wisdom), and so on. Different from stoning as stoning is punishment for 'X', and menstruation laws were for 'health and safety'. Neither is really comparable.
      I was thinking more about the interpretational arguements than the other teleological and moral reasons. I just used stoning and menstruation as some of many examples of a cultural interpretation of things in the bible that we don't see fit in todays society. Other than the teleological / moral reasons, how is it that we can interpretate something cultural and other things direct? Who / what decides what is to be interpretated in which way?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Wayne View Post
        I was thinking more about the interpretational arguements than the other teleological and moral reasons. I just used stoning and menstruation as some of many examples of a cultural interpretation of things in the bible that we don't see fit in todays society. Other than the teleological / moral reasons, how is it that we can interpretate something cultural and other things direct? Who / what decides what is to be interpretated in which way?
        Genesis 1 + 2 re: teleology is an argument from textual interpretation. The others (#2 - #9) are a matter of experience, resulting life wisdom, etc., but are no less relevant.

We interpret a text a certain way depending on its context: who was a text written to; why was it written (what is the text addressing); what is the content of the text, and so on. So, for example, we might read Leviticus 20:10 and see that ancient Israel was to execute adulterers, and we can distinguish between the moral code (don't commit adultery), and the punishment for violation of that moral code (execute adulterers). We're not ancient Israel so we don't execute adulterers, but we recognize that adultery is immoral. That is, the legal code for ancient Israel was for ancient Israel, so we don't practice it because we're not ancient Israel. Morality, on the other hand, is objective, and that's why we recognize that adultery is immoral.

Clear as mud?

Comment

What are the arguements as to why sexual relations before marriage is forbidden, yet we have more of a cultural interpretation of other texts such as of stoning, leaving the city while having menstruation etc...?
          Because Jesus affirmed the prohibition on Sexual immorality was still a prohibition in the New Covenant. Paul mentioned it a time or two as well.

Comment

It's quite clear. it's not pure. Jesus Wants a bride that isn't playing the Harlot. Sexual lust enters the heart, and the believers have the holy spirit to help them obey his decrees. I'm guilty on this account. but my lord expressed this to me by his Spirit. made by revelation by God. now i have turned my back on sexual lust of the flesh., and it's been over 2 years. and intercourse ruins the relationship before marriage. Be pure, be diligent, because this is God Himself we are referring to. Growing is better, take root...

Comment

We don't forgo the stoning and the menstration/nocturnal emission/defacation outside the camp laws because of any cultural interpretation.

We forgo obedience to those laws because they were only meant for nation of Israel before Christ came and died.

So why are some of those laws seemingly STILL obeyed as far as deeming something as sinful or not? It's because these things - such as sexual immorality, murder, rape, injustice, lying, coveting, stealing, and more were already sins BEFORE the law and are spoken of as sins AFTER the law.

Some things are in the heart of man - no matter where you go on this planet - everyone knows that murder is wrong, lying is wrong, fornication/adultery is wrong, and stealing is wrong. Even countries without the gospel where women are treated like animals - even those countries still have laws against rape.

Sex outside of marriage - fornication - is associated with spiritual idolatry. God uses that idea of fornication when he speaks of the unfaithfulness of his people. There's a far deeper principle involved than just sex. And fornication, like murder and other actions considered sins before, during, and after the law FAR transcend the mere Hebrew law.
              sigpic
              ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

You're comparing different concepts. It's always been wrong to murder, steal, and lie for example but the response to the wrong or punishment might vary. Culture does play a role in how people view degrees of wrong. According to Scripture though, if you break one law you have broken the whole law. So really what does it matter? You can have premarital affairs or you can simply think about having premarital affairs - still going to die in the end. The only difference is the effect each has prior to death.
                「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
                撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

Bottom line: people are stubborn and biased and don't like being told what to do....even if it comes from God and is for our own good. People "pick and choose" to do (or not do) the things that God has asked of us, based on what WE like. If WE like the idea, we do it. If we don't like it, we don't do it. (But isn't that sort of like proclaiming ourselves to be god?! YIKES!!!!! )And yet some people go even further than that: they talk trash about it by saying how "archaic and burdensome" it is.
                  Sad-sad-sad!

Comment

When a cultural approach/view/reasoning is taken, JESUS is ignored - HE IS NOT LORD NOR SAVIOR NOR MESSIAH then.

Comment

Acts 15:28,29 the apostles talk about what was important to avoid now that the law had been abolished. Among these was the act of fornication. An act that most people treat it like drinking water when in reality it's a very serious sin.

Comment

Working...
                      X