Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever thought of moving somewhere far away and living like a hermit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever thought of moving somewhere far away and living like a hermit?

Recently I've been having thoughts of abandoning everything and everyone and moving somewhere far away and living like a hermit. I am severely unhappy where I live (Ottawa) and feel the need to change my environment.

Do you think this is a good idea? Or should I stick to the people and things I grew up with?

Re: Have you ever thought of moving somewhere far away and living like a hermit?

Originally posted by Translucent1 View Post
    Recently I've been having thoughts of abandoning everything and everyone and moving somewhere far away and living like a hermit. I am severely unhappy where I live (Ottawa) and feel the need to change my environment.
    Ottawa is severely depressing at the best of times, but with Justin Trudeau at the helm, it is a total disaster. But you don't have to become a hermit either. There are many places in Western Canada where you can get away from the lunacy of Ottawa. Better yet, run for office against Trudeau and drain the swamp.

Comment

Re: Have you ever thought of moving somewhere far away and living like a hermit?

Not many of us would make good hermits. We were designed to live in community, and especially so for Christians who are to be known by their love for one another. But there are also good reasons to escape the stress of the city and its artificial communities. Rural and small town living can be social in a healthier way, since the people attracted to living there are generally kind, hardworking, and connected with reality. Unlike Ottawa. But it sounds as though you could live out of a van for a while and not have to make a large commitment.

Comment

^^^^I find the stories of those who do live out of their cars or vans very interesting--- They save enough money to do what they want in a shorter period of time.

Having an idea now search options and take your questions to Him?
        Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from Godthat is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

1 Corinthians 1:30

Comment

Do you think this is a good idea? Or should I stick to the people and things I grew up with?
          I've thought the same thing about California. I would love to go off on my own and build a place in the wild to get away from a very dark state.

I know Christians who have left and others who would jump at the chance to leave if it was given. But if all the lights were to go out (leave California) who would be left to draw the lost to Christ?

So I stay and do not plan on leaving though I dislike it here considerably and make the most of every opportunity I get (though I am slow to see them) to be Christ's representative here.
          "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
          C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
          "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
          "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
          "Our Hope is unchanged"
          "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Old man View Post
            I've thought the same thing about California. I would love to go off on my own and build a place in the wild to get away from a very dark state.

I know Christians who have left and others who would jump at the chance to leave if it was given. But if all the lights were to go out (leave California) who would be left to draw the lost to Christ?

So I stay and do not plan on leaving though I dislike it here considerably and make the most of every opportunity I get (though I am slow to see them) to be Christ's representative here.
            Amen...........
            A cannot be A & not A at the same time.

מקום כניעה סך הכל

Comment

I live smack in the middle of 80 acres in rural Alabama. Hermit ? No. Private ? Yes. My home is like a sanctuary to me. I couldn't imagine living in a major metropolitan area. I might be just fine, but growing up in the country is all I've known.

Comment

For me, I recognize this sudden urge to run as a sign of anxiety. And anxiety for me really is linked to Sin. So I think if I pack everything up, stop talking to people, that that will somehow fix the symptoms of anxiety. Sin will follow though.

I remind myself of verses where the bible says we are to be like trees, with deep roots. For me, I attribute this to staying in my current home, although each walk with God is different.

Prayer, scripture reading, and knowledge that if you are ever confused that it's a trick from evil. If it's a message from God it should be wrapped in peace. One of the articles of spiritual armor we are to wear are shoes of readiness that come from the gospel of peace. If you are at peace, then most likely. Keep praying and nice to talk.

Comment

Moving far away? Yes

Living like a hermit? Not so much. But I do value my privacy and alone time because Im a loner by nature.

Im good with waiting till my husband retires and then moving to a more rural part of Canada- probably northern Ontario.

Comment

I've had fleeting thoughts of it in times of frustration. Those thoughts are shoved aside and I instead remember that my joy is in the Lord despite of the world ( and sometimes other Christians I'm sorry to say ) and all it can bring to bear against me.

It might sound morbid but when I start to think of how "bad" things are for me in any situation I'm reminded that every apostle except one were martyred for the sake of the gospel and our faith. It puts things in perspective for me very quickly.
                    Day by day
                    Oh Dear Lord
                    Three things I pray
                    To see thee more clearly
                    Love thee more dearly
                    Follow thee more nearly
                    Day by day

Comment

Is God attempting to help you learn how to persevere and mature through perseverance?

If He is... running away will not be wise.
                      Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Ask yourself what am I running from... what fears me most.... how can God intervene in a supernatural way* ?
                        Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

A move can be a good thing. I'm not sure about the hermit part, though it is probably just the frustration talking. I would say do it. Move to a new place.

I lived in south Louisiana for 27 years. I hated the 8 month summers and 98% humidity ALL year long and the endless raining. I thought about moving several times, but always had something tying me down. After having our home wiped out by a natural disaster for the second time, I talked to God about it and He made the way for us. We put the house up for sale, a very oddball property with a shop twice the size of the house and another home for my mother, all on one property. No takers for several months, and very few even came to look. Then one morning God told my wife to get ready to go, so I started casually getting organized. Two days later we had an all cash offer within $5k of our asking price and they wanted to close the sale in 10 days. I greatly underestimated God's word to us to get ready, but He got it done quickly and in time for all the fall colors in the Smoky Mountains. (There is no fall color in Louisiana.) His timing is perfect always. We have lived in Tennessee now for just a couple of months and I still cannot wipe the smile off my face! We love it! The oppressive heat and humidity is over. Adios! I can go outside and enjoy God's beautiful works without passing out. It is like a huge weight lifted. So, I say talk to God about it and trust Him.

Comment

Though I’m not sure about the hermit lifestyle I can relate as I’ve felt a strong urge to leave for Jerusalem for awhile now.

It’s funny because it’s like I feel that’s where I belong and yet I was born and raised, grew and have a family across the world.
                            Sometimes we feel we have a purpose outside within our reach, part of it is wanting what is outside of reach, part of it can be running from what is within reach, part of its simply thinking and imagining a life that’s not what you live in and being curious in the unknown and also what you’ve convinced yourself of knowing about the unknown.

Best advice I can give is really look deep and figure out what is causing these feelings and be honest with yourself about them.
                            Maybe it is time for change, maybe it isn’t. If your honest before God you’ll be honest with yourself, which should guide you on your feelings.
                            Could be a new scenery, new hobby, maybe you might actually take off somewhere for awhile... possibilities are fully loaded, just really look to yourself and figure out why.... then go from there.

Just noticed this thread is a few months old, hope all is well.

Comment

Boy can I ever relate. With all the evil destroying our nation from within with so called human rights, sexual perversions of all types being celebrated and encouraged, misguided environmentalism, active marginalization of Christians by Mr Trudeau himself it's no wonder you want out of there. There are times I feel like Jonah did about Nineveh. I want to just leave Canada altogether to the sodomites and heathens hell bent on re-engineering our society and let it all burn. Lot probably felt the same way being tormented by all the evil around him too. I can't speak for you but in my case I find God wants me to stay because even though Canada is spiraling into a cesspool of vile filth there are people here who still need me in their lives. Sometimes God keeps you in an unpleasant environment for his glory and purposes, so I pray for patience, endurance and unrelenting conviction to see it to the end. So far God has not disappointed. With each new challenge I feel even more empowered to press on and finish the race. Anxiously awaiting the return of our real King. I hope you can draw some encouragement from this.
                              JESUS CHRIST, often imitated, never duplicated.

Comment

Working...
                              X