Exercise and Diet -- JIML

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise and Diet -- JIML

Well here it is, my personal thread, not sure if it'll last very long but what the heck. My current goal is to put on as much mass as possible until March and then get lean for the summer.
    Stats:
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 192lbs
    Bodyfat: 13-15% (this is aproximation, don't have a caliper)

Workout Routine: (Yes, this is Rippetoes with slight rep scheme adjustments)

Workout A:
    Squat 3x5
    Deadlift 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Dips 2x8-12

Workout B:
    Squat 3x5
    Military Press 3x5
    Barbell Row 3x5
    Chin-ups 2x8-12

I alternate these two workouts.

Diet: Trying to eat about 4000 kCals, although when i have a busy week i tend to get in a few hundred less.

Ok, today is Friday and my workout looked as follows:

Squat: 205 x5 x 5 x5
    Deadlift 215 x 5 x5 x5
    Bench 165 x5 x5 x4
    Dips 1x12, 1x10 (0 lbs added)

Comment

Looking good JIML.

Have you taken any measurements or pics? Those can help when evaluating your routine.

Looking forward to your success!
      WDJD - what DID Jesus do

He died on a cross for our sin and rose from the dead,
      securing, for all who believe, eternal life and forgiveness of sin

Toolman

Comment

Originally posted by Toolman View Post
        Looking good JIML.

Have you taken any measurements or pics? Those can help when evaluating your routine.

Looking forward to your success!
        Need to find my camera to take some pics. I'll make some later though. I figured at 6'1 and 192 lbs i'm still pretty skinny, so i just need some mass overall.

Comment

Monday 10/01/07
          Workout B

Squat: 210x5x5x5
          Military: 110x5x5x3 (I put on 5 pounds too much but didn't notice till the end)
          Bent-Over Row: 125x5x5x5
          Pullups: 1x9, 1x6 (Remember two years ago at 160lbs i could do 19)
          Abs: Two sets of cable crunches 87.5lbs

Comment

Crap... have a midterm tomorrow and a very serious one. I'm either not gonna workout today, or i'm just gonna go to my basement do a few sets of bench somewhere around midnight.

Comment

Well, now that the first set of midterms is behind i can focus on lifting again.
              Today my workout looked as follows:

Squat: 210x5x5x5
              Military: 110x5x5x5
              Bent-Overs: 130x5x5x5
              Chins: 1x9, 1x7

I think i need to get one of those electric grills and a rice cooker. Grilled food seems to be healthier than fried. Also i eat baked potatoes a lot, but when i cook rice in a pot it doesn't taste very good, my friend uses rice cooker though and rice tastes great.

Hoping i'll get enough sleep over the weekend, i'm gonna go to church at 11am instead of 10.

Comment

Rice cookers are great... if you really need to add some taste you could also try just basic seasonings or even some soy sauce (as long as sodium isn't an issue for you).

Rice in itself though is just another starch (carb)... which you need... but be sure to keep in the lean proteins (which it sounds like you are as you describe the foreman grill concept).

Frying of course isn't a good thing in any circumstance... you're adding oil (pure fat) and stripping out nutrients!

:p

Comment

oh and additionally...

I want to tell you how reassuring it is to me to read about another guy's workout who has "human"-level gains and weights, etc... Slug's old workout chart was actually very comforting to me too. I spent a number of years hanging around guys who weren't afraid to spend 2-4 hours in the gym every day AND use whatever "gear" necessary to achieve their ultimate goals. I got so sick of not being able to do things like Bench Press over 300lbs....

I'm not calling you a wimp by any means!! You're definitely very strong and stronger by far than the average guy... I just want you to know how good it feels to know that there are people here that I can actually relate to.

Comment

Originally posted by Otter77 View Post
                    oh and additionally...

I want to tell you how reassuring it is to me to read about another guy's workout who has "human"-level gains and weights, etc... Slug's old workout chart was actually very comforting to me too. I spent a number of years hanging around guys who weren't afraid to spend 2-4 hours in the gym every day AND use whatever "gear" necessary to achieve their ultimate goals. I got so sick of not being able to do things like Bench Press over 300lbs....

I'm not calling you a wimp by any means!! You're definitely very strong and stronger by far than the average guy... I just want you to know how good it feels to know that there are people here that I can actually relate to.
                    Hehehe, yeah thanks for the advice and stuff. Also, i avoid soy sauce like the plague, i read that it lowers testosterone levels, and i know that it barely affects it but i don't know, i guess its the psychological thing. Im also european so i don't like soy sauce anyway.

Like i said on the "Weight Lifter Enter" thread, i've been trying to get into weightlifting/bodybuilding for a few years now, but everytime i quit for one reason or another. But this year, i'm telling you, its like i feel God is telling me that this time i will not quit. So yeah... thanks for checking out my thread though!

Comment

Well, my weekend was a little crappy. On saturday i went to play tenis with my bros and injured my foot. However i wrapped it with elastic bendage and today it was barely hurting. Also i did drink some alcohol over the weekend which is of course not good for lifting but i haven't drank any in like a month so i need some alcohol in my blood real bad.

Anyway, my workout today looked as follows:
                      Squat: 215 x5x5x5
                      Deadlift: 220 x5x5x5 (i am experiencing a little pain in my lower back, i can't tell if its soreness or not so i might have to stop doing deadlifts some time soon)

Bench: 165 x5x5x5
                      Dips: 2x12

I was really happy about my bench so far, usually it took me a good 3-4 month to make this much progress.
                      Also happy about my other lifts, i am still progressing so it is still good, have a feeling though that plateus are coming soon so i'll have to up my calories a little.

Weighted myself on Sunday morning - 195lbs.

Comment

Very cool Jim - I think you're doing awesome... you'll soon be stronger than me at 6'3" and 250lbs!

Be very cautious with that lower back - depending on your genetically predispositioned physical structure... it can often be an extremely sensitive area. Don't test it. A little soreness probably = ok... but much more than that is likely a very bad idea. You should also invest in stretching your lower back before doing heavy stuff like squats and deadlifts... there are special stretches you can do to strengthen and add flexibility to that area and it helps A LOT.

As you become an old man like me (30!) you'll begin to not be so 'bendy' in those areas unless you keep on top of the flexibility training.... PARTICULARLY as you stack on massive muscle!

Comment

Only serious injury I ever had was a herniated disc in the lower back. Bad pain for over a year.

I do not do any exercises where the lower back is not in an arched position. Leg press and good mornings are 2 of the worst exercises IMO for lower back.

Deads and squats done with improper form (rounding of lower back) can also be very bad on those lower discs.

Be careful, use impeccable form (better to have good form with lighter weight than bad form with heavy weight).

Good stretching and a nice hot tub (or hot bath) are nice on that lower back also!
                          WDJD - what DID Jesus do

He died on a cross for our sin and rose from the dead,
                          securing, for all who believe, eternal life and forgiveness of sin

Toolman

Comment

Ok, i will probably stretch before the workout. We have this special machine for stretching your back so i'll do that before every workout. Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Toolman View Post
                              Only serious injury I ever had was a herniated disc in the lower back. Bad pain for over a year.

I do not do any exercises where the lower back is not in an arched position. Leg press and good mornings are 2 of the worst exercises IMO for lower back.

Deads and squats done with improper form (rounding of lower back) can also be very bad on those lower discs.

Be careful, use impeccable form (better to have good form with lighter weight than bad form with heavy weight).

Good stretching and a nice hot tub (or hot bath) are nice on that lower back also!
                              Also its not pain in the bones or anything, its like in the muscles. My mom is a doctor and she said that i might have pulled my nerve, which is nothing major but it does hurt. I will go swimming more this week, i know swimming usually helps me a lot with back problems, especially when i have pain in my neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X