Excercise and Diet -- atrus912 (Ben)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excercise and Diet -- atrus912 (Ben)

I've made the recommitment to my workout program this morning, so I'm going with the basic stuff Toolman has advised me on, and adding whatever other physical activity I can think of everywhere else.

I am a smoker, but trying to quit. I'll be logging tobacco consumption in this thread to. I'm trying to slowly ween myself off, but if that doesn't work, then we shall see what we shall see.

Daily Posts for this thread, comments welcome and appreciated.

First, vital stats:

Name: Ben (Benjammin')
    Height: 6' 2.5''
    Weight: 218 Pounds
    Build: Muscular/Heavyset

Now, today's dietary intake. I would love to do five meals a day, but on my schedule and budget, I can't do that effectively or consistently.

DIET

BREAKFAST
    • 1 small Omelette (made with egg whites) with ham, tomatoes, green peppers, onions.
    • 1 cup of fresh strawberries.
    • 1 6-ounce cup of coffee flavored with splenda and skim millk
    • 1 12-ounce orange juice (100% juice).
    LUNCH
    • 1 bowl (1.5 cups) tomato-based vegetable soup (no meat).
    • 1.5 cups Linguine noodles with 1 cup alfredo sauce and 0.25 cup grilled chicken.
    • 1 12-ounce cup sweetened iced tea.
    • 1 12-ounce cup skim milk.
    • 1 bowl (1.5 cups) Jello
    DINNER
    • 6 Ounces grilled chicken in sweet and sour sauce.
    • 1 wrap with turkey, lettuce, tomatoe, 1 slice swiss cheese, and low-fat cesar dressing.
    • 1 12-ounce cup sweetened iced tea.
    • 1 12-ounce cup lemon gatorade.
    TOBACCO
    • 6 Cigarettes (regular length)
    ALCOHOL
    • None
    EXCERCISE
    • No gym today.
    • Deep Throat's Run -- I should explain this one...it's my personal running program. There is a multi-story (5 levels) parking deck on campus. Right now, I run one lap on each level, ascend a level, run one lap, all the way to the top, and then down with a lap on each level. This is done either very early in the morning or late at night when no cars are around. Today, I am about to go do it, and report on the results in about an hour and a half.
    • The above will probably increase in laps as time goes on. I don't actually expect to keep a complete running pace tonight, though I'll give it my best shot.
    Okay...there's for the first day. Please comment as you feel appropriate.

Just finished my meeting with the Washington Post.

I managed to keep a moderate pace going all the way up...right until the top level where I started aching and panting like crazy and had to stop at the end of the lap. I walked briskly down to the first level, and sprinted the last lap.

I'm here at home now, and my calves and thighs ache like crazy. I feel a little sick to my stomach too. I didn't throw up or anything, though.

Comment

Good to see you starting up again Ben and starting a thread here will probably help a bit with accountability.

As far as the smokes... patch, life savers, nic gum, etc. You know the drill. God speed with kicking it.
      WDJD - what DID Jesus do

He died on a cross for our sin and rose from the dead,
      securing, for all who believe, eternal life and forgiveness of sin

Toolman

Comment

Thanks man. Smoking is a sever drag on my personal economy. It's honestly a lifestyle I can't afford.

Comment

Okay, itís very, very clear to me that Iím out of shape. First of all, I realized just now that I actually weigh 230 pounds, which is pretty severely overweight, obviously. I was basing that weight off of a checkup from before Christmas, so I shouldíve probably gotten a more accurate reading yesterday and then reported to Ďyall. Oopps.
          Iím putting myself on a stricter diet than I had previously planned to. Iím going to also really step this whole thing up. I have enough time now for all of this, and Iím going to use it.
          DIET
          BREAKFAST
          • 1 Medium Omelette with Ham, Green Peppers, Onion, and Tomato
          • 2/3 Cups Fresh Kiwi, sliced
          • 1 Cup Fresh Grapes
          • 12 Ounces Milk
          LUNCH
          • 2 Thighs Broiled Chicken
          • 1 Cup Chicken Noodle Soup
          • 1.25 Cups Canned Mixed Vegetables
          • 1 Cup Steamed Broccoli
          • 15 Ounces Apple Juice
          • 1 Cup Jello
          DINNER
          • 1 Barbecue Wrap with Lettuce and Tomato on Tortilla
          • 1 Salad with Lettuce, Tomato, and Cucumber with French Dressing on the side.
          • 15 Ounces Lime Gatorade
          • 12 Ounces Skim Milk
          TOBACCO
          • 1 Menthol Regular Length Cigarette
          • 4 Regular Length Cigarettes, non-menthol

ALCOHOL
          • None
          EXERCISE
          GYM

I decided to return to my beginnerís workout for the first week, and then construct an intermediate workout for the second week until itís time for a more advanced routine. Iím going to go ahead and construct my own routine for the intermediate workout. What follows are the exercises, the resistance level in parentheses, and each set separated by the semicolon.

Bench Press (90 pounds) 1=12 ; 2=11; 3=8

Lateral Pulldown (Level 7) 1=16 ; 2=14 ; 3=13
          Curls (15 pounds x 2) 1=12 ; 2=12; 3=11
          Pushdowns (using 40 pound barbell gripped at center holds) 1=12 ; 2=11 ; 3=10

Shoulder Press (55 pounds) 1=13; 2=11 ; 3=10

Mechanical Abdominal Press (Level 6) 1=12 ; 2=12 ; 3=11
          Leg Extension (Level 10) 1=12 ; 2=11 ; 3=10
          Sitting Calf Raises (135 pounds) 1=20 ; 2=14 ; 3=7

30 Minutes of Stationary Bike Cardio at Level 5, should proceed to Level 6 in a week or at most a week and one-half

I think itís pretty clear that a lot of those need to come a notch or two on resistance. The only thing that I had issues with is the calf raises. On the second and third set, I was doing fine and then suddenly my left calf felt like it was going to pop off and slide into my foot. It was something thatÖsort of felt like it wanted to cramp or something of a similar nature. Might be nothing. I donít know. Either way, there it is for Ďyall.

Comment

Ben,

Read this post:
            http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=93984

I know you have some trouble getting enough food but remember... tuna fish is dirt cheap

Also, stretch those calves out a bit before beginning your set. Will probably help.

Remember my friend.. its ALL about consistensy first and foremost and intensity a close second. If you master those 2 there is no stopping you.
            WDJD - what DID Jesus do

Toolman

Comment

I didn't do anything in the way of excercise really today because I was plumb out beat. This isn't really a problem per se as this isn't one of my gym days, but I would have like to try something. I was so tired all day, and I need to get to sleep in the next 20 minutes, so I need to make this quick.

BREAKFAST
              • 1 cup milk with 1 cup Raisin Bran
              LUNCH
              • 1 medium plate of whole grain pasta topped with tomato sauce and beef meatballs
              • 1 serving steamed zucchuni
              • 1 serving boiled corn
              • 1 glass milk
              • 1 glass lime powerade
              SNACK
              • 1 can soda pop (day's small indulgence)
              • A quarter of a bag of non-butter popcorn
              DINNER
              • 1 bowl black bean chili
              • 1 turkey wrap with sparse ranch dressing
              • 1 glass lime powerade
              • 1 glass milk
              TOBACCO

5 regular cigarettes

ALCOHOL

1 Scotch with soda

EXERCISE

None to speak of. Just running from one task to the next on campus. I moved around campus more than I usually do if that counts for anything.

Toolman, I'm actually not quite as poor as I used to be. I've got some decent money being made from my job at campus housing nowadays. I'll be sure to take that advice. Most of my meals still come on campus though. That's easy to work with though, as you can see above.
              Last edited by atrus912; Mar 13th 2008, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by atrus912 View Post
                I didn't do anything in the way of excercise really today because I was plumb out beat. This isn't really a problem per se as this isn't one of my gym days, but I would have like to try something. I was so tired all day, and I need to get to sleep in the next 20 minutes, so I need to make this quick.

BREAKFAST
                • 1 cup milk with 1 cup Raisin Bran
                LUNCH
                • 1 medium plate of whole grain pasta topped with tomato sauce and beef meatballs
                • 1 serving steamed zucchuni
                • 1 serving boiled corn
                • 1 glass milk
                • 1 glass lime powerade
                SNACK
                • 1 can soda pop (day's small indulgence)
                • A quarter of a bag of non-butter popcorn
                DINNER
                • 1 bowl black bean chili
                • 1 turkey wrap with sparse ranch dressing
                • 1 glass lime powerade
                • 1 glass milk
                EXERCISE

None to speak of. Just running from one task to the next on campus. I moved around campus more than I usually do if that counts for anything.

Toolman, I'm actually not quite as poor as I used to be. I've got some decent money being made from my job at campus housing nowadays. I'll be sure to take that advice. Most of my meals still come on campus though. That's easy to work with though, as you can see above.
                Hey bro, its good to see you join our "Diet and Training" Squad!!!
                I created a thread here not to long ago where I posted some articles and some advice on how I make my diet work with all the classes and you know crazy work schedules. So check it out, its called...., hmmm I forgot what its called ahahaha, "Tips on how to make your diet work" or something like that, might find something useful or may be you can share some good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by JIML View Post
                  Hey bro, its good to see you join our "Diet and Training" Squad!!!
                  I created a thread here not to long ago where I posted some articles and some advice on how I make my diet work with all the classes and you know crazy work schedules. So check it out, its called...., hmmm I forgot what its called ahahaha, "Tips on how to make your diet work" or something like that, might find something useful or may be you can share some good advice.
                  tips On Making Your Diet Work
                  WDJD - what DID Jesus do

Toolman

Comment

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and let this last through next week just so that the resistances can finally be decided on for the starting round, then I'll add a few more. My body seems to be deciding how much it wants to take, so I'll just make it another week on the basic round just to be sure.

DIET

BREAKFAST
                    • 1 Croissant with cream cheese.
                    • 1 Glass apple juice
                    LUNCH
                    • 2 Slices Baked Ham
                    • 1 Cup peas with snaps
                    • 1 Cup or so of Southern style potato salad
                    DINNER
                    • 1 Ham wrap with lettuce, tomato, provolone cheese, and honey mustard
                    • 1 Cup steamed cauliflower with cheese added
                    • 1 Cup peppered peas
                    SNACK(S)
                    • 1 Can Vault soda pop
                    • 1 Apple
                    • About 20 or so boiled peanuts (ahhh...bliss)
                    TOBACCO

6 Cigarettes

AlCOHOL

None
                    EXERCISE

NOTE: Resistance changes and signifigant changes are bolded.

UPPER BODY

Bench Press (90 pounds) 1=12 ; 2=11; 3=10
                    Lateral Pulldown (Level 8) 1=12 ; 2=12 ; 3=10

Curls (20 pounds x 2) 1=12 ; 2=11; 3=8

Pushdowns (using 40 pound barbell gripped at center holds) 1=12 ; 2=9 ; 3=8

Shoulder Press (60 pounds) 1=12 ; 2=8 ; 3=5*

Mechanical Abdominal Press (Level 6) 1=11 ; 2=9 ; 3=4
                    Leg Extension (Level 11) 1=12 ; 2=10 ; 3=11*
                    Sitting Calf Raises (135 pounds) 1=30 ; 2=28 ; 3=27

These two struck me as a bit odd. The last set of shoulder presses is a little low on the reps before I hit failure. This is probably because I hit the shoulder press right after I finished the last set of bench pressing, so my arms weren't...fully ready for it perhaps. I'm not sure. The leg extension increased on the last set before failure, which was odd, but that resistance obviously is due to come up anyway. I could've probably even done more there if I really wanted to.

The calf raises showed pleasent results as opposed to Tuesday. I took Toolman's advice and stretched a little for that. It would seem that stretching and the fact that my calves were better prepared for it all broke the muscles in pretty well. What do 'yall think?

I also think it's time to raise the resistance level on the bench press, I'll give it a run Tuesday of next week, or Saturday if I get the urge to go to the gym.

So...tell me what's yall's think.
                    Last edited by atrus912; Mar 14th 2008, 04:03 AM. Reason: forgot somethin'

Comment

Are you doing Upper Body/Lower body split??? Because it is advisable to have 1 pushing exercise per every pulling and I see 3 pushing exercises and only 1 pulling, so may be add some rows in there, cable rows are kind of fun!

Comment

JIML,

I advised Ben to do a full body routine as a beginning routine for a few weeks to get his body ready for more advanced routines. This is always my advice to someone who is just beginning. About 6-8 weeks of full body work if they have never trained before. If they've trained before but have been off for a long time I advise 3-4 weeks of full body.

As far as pushing and pulling, I believe the Bench Press and Shoulder Press are the main push and the Latimus pulldowns (not lateral ) and the pushdowns (tricep pushdowns) are the main push exercises. Some hamstring curls might be nice in there but since Ben's plan is only for a week or two on this one then should be fine.

Ben is that all correct? The only one I'm not sure about is what you call "pushdown".. is that a tricep pushdown? (Sorry its been so long since we discussed this routine I've forgotten a bit).
                        WDJD - what DID Jesus do

Toolman

Comment

Originally posted by Toolman View Post
                          JIML,

I advised Ben to do a full body routine as a beginning routine for a few weeks to get his body ready for more advanced routines. This is always my advice to someone who is just beginning. About 6-8 weeks of full body work if they have never trained before. If they've trained before but have been off for a long time I advise 3-4 weeks of full body.

As far as pushing and pulling, I believe the Bench Press and Shoulder Press are the main push and the Latimus pulldowns (not lateral ) and the pushdowns (tricep pushdowns) are the main push exercises. Some hamstring curls might be nice in there but since Ben's plan is only for a week or two on this one then should be fine.

Ben is that all correct? The only one I'm not sure about is what you call "pushdown".. is that a tricep pushdown? (Sorry its been so long since we discussed this routine I've forgotten a bit).
                          Well... I can't argue with THE MAN .

Comment

DIET
                            BREAKFAST
                            • 1 Omelette with ham, cheese, tomato, green pepper, onion and mushroom.
                            • 1 Glass milk
                            • 1 Glass Gatorade
                            LUNCH
                            • 1 Strawberry/bananna smoothie
                            • 1 6 inch sub sandwich with roast beef, lettuce, tomato, provolone cheese, and honey mustard (is honey mustard pretty healthy?).
                            DINNER
                            • CHEAT OF THE WEEK: Large helping of white rice. Large helping of shrimp with mushrooms and mixed vegetables (Chinese food).
                            • 1 Bowl hot and sour soup.
                            • 9 Fried dumplings
                            • 1 Egg roll
                            • All of the above was my cheat for this week.
                            SNACK(S)
                            • Half a bag of buttered popcorn
                            TOBACCO

6 Cigarettes

AlCOHOL

1 Pint of ale

EXERCISE

None really to speak of today, I'll hit Deep Throat's Run tomorrow if nothing else.

Any thoughts guys?

Comment

DIET
                              BREAKFAST
                              • 1 Bowl hot and sour soup
                              • 1 Glass sweet tea
                              LUNCH
                              • 1 Plate jerk chicken and red beans and rice
                              • 1 Small Salad with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber
                              • 1 Glass Coca Cola
                              DINNER
                              • 1 Cup mashed potatoes with gravy
                              • 1 Cup Macoroni and Cheese
                              SNACK(S)
                              • 1 Medium movie theatre size popcorn
                              • 1 Large movie teatre coca-cola (only drank half)
                              TOBACCO

6 Cigarettes (100's)

AlCOHOL

1 Shot vodka mixed with about 1/2 a cup of Monster energy drink

EXERCISE

DEEP THROAT'S RUN

1 lap each level going up, kept running at a moderate pace on the the second tier going down, and then had to briskly walk the rest of the way down. That's improvement over last time.

15 Minutes on the treadmill at Level 5

Any thoughts guys? I know I botched the diet today.
                              Last edited by atrus912; Mar 16th 2008, 05:39 AM. Reason: forgot the treadmill

Comment

Working...
                              X