Suspense
    Fantasy
    Sci Fi
    Adventure
    Historical-political
    Comedy
    I only read non-fiction (ugh)
    None of the above

I know - most novels combine more than one genre above. But you have to pick just one - your favorite. Now what's this new Genre - vampire-romance?! You gotta pick either suspense or romance (or would that be mystery or romance?). From what I've heard, it would be "romance."

BD
    Romance
    0.00%
    Mystery-murder
    0.00%
    Suspense
    14.29%
    Fantasy
    14.29%
    Sci Fi
    14.29%
    Adventure
    0.00%
    Historical-political
    42.86%
    Comedy
    0.00%
    I only read non-fiction (ugh)
    0.00%
    Other (Tell us what)
    14.29%
    3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

Smokey has been a sci-fi fan since he was a pup!
    You might be a dog lover if...
    You have more dog toys in your bed than people.

Comment

Comedy-fantasy for me: Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Beneath all the jokes and quips, there's some very serious stuff there on human nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethany67 View Post
        Comedy-fantasy for me: Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Beneath all the jokes and quips, there's some very serious stuff there on human nature.
        Not familiar... Discworld?
        3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

Comment

OTHER - All except the Romance novels. Yeah, I like to read
          Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by smokey the dog View Post
            Smokey has been a sci-fi fan since he was a pup!
            I used to love sci-fi. But after I got married I found myself watching shows and movies that my wife and I both like - which excludes just about all things sci-fi. That includes books to an extant, since we often read something after the other has finished it.

Who're your fav authors, or stories?

BD

BadDog!

Comment

The Discworld is a flat world, supported by 4 elephants on the back of a giant space turtle. The main society is similar to Renaissance/pre-industrial England, although other nations on the Disc resemble Japan/China, generic North Africa/Middle East, Australia, Egypt etc. The capital city is Ankh Morpork, and is ruled by Vetinari the Patrician (a mostly benevolent dictator modelled on Machiavelli's Prince). Another key character is Vimes, Commander of the City Watch. The wizards live at Unseen University which is modelled on Oxford or Cambridge, full of centuries of tradition and ancient bumbling pompous men. There are various non-human species like vampires, werewolves, trolls, elves, dwarves; he owes a lot to Tolkien. Each book is a standalone although some do reference the preceding one in terms of events.

If you fancy trying one, I'd recommend something like 'Mort' or 'Guards! Guards!' for starters, although the first one chonologically is 'Colour of Magic.' He has me cackling out loud on the train - been a fan for 20 years now. I'd say he's moved into the realms of political satire in the later novels - very clever indeed. If you liked 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,' you'll probably enjoy him - he was the UK's topselling novelist in the 90s until JK Rowling overtook him. Sadly Terry has early-on-set Alzheimers now so I don't know how long he'll continue writing, but there are 36 novels in the series so far, as well as some spin-offs like plays, graphic novels and TV adaptations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

Comment

Who're the other historical-fiction buffs? Just curious.

BD

BadDog!

Comment

Bethany,

So you're not supposed to take the flat disk world on 4 elephants on a giant turtle seriously?

Hey, anyone reading that vampire series or romance novels? If so, tell us about them. I personally find the idea of vampires intriguing, but I'm no so sure about the pure romance. I want some action!

BD

BadDog!

Comment

Working...
                  X