Having my own birthday celebration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having my own birthday celebration

I will be turning 30 next month and I would like to do something for my birthday. I'd like to have a small party and invite just my immediate family and a few people that I've became friends with from church. It would be too difficult for the ones from church to come out to my house since I live out in the country. So I'd like to do is ask the pastor if it'd be okay if I have it at the church since my birthday is on a Saturday. I only want to invite a few from church (maybe up to 15 people) but there is close to 200 people that attend this church. Would this be appropriate to only invite certain people if I have this at church?
    Last edited by *Living~By~Faith*; Sep 2nd 2008, 02:28 PM.

depends on the rules of the church, i know my church say that there is to be no alcohol consumed on the premises... but also, i now that some of my more "unruley" freinds might be a bit silly and play the organ or turn the crosses upside down (they mean well!!) but seriously, if your pastor is fine about it, I wouldn't worry.
    www.thelunchtimesermon.blogspot.com

Check it out!

Comment

LivingByFaith,

Is your church normally used for private events, like weddings, funerals, other get-togethers where not everyone in the church is invited... just those on a guest list? If so, then no worries. I bet it would go over fine. Just make sure the church is free and ask your pastor if he'd be willing to open it up (in case he has another commitment, or in case someone else is using it that day!)

I wouldn't worry, either. It sounds like a very fun idea, to have your birthday in a central spot where so many of your friends normally are! God bless, and congrats on the upcoming event.
      -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
      It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
      So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
      We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
      Warren Barfield

Comment

I don't know if the pastor allows these type of events or not, but I don't believe he'd mind as long as the church isn't going to be used for anything that day and as long as we clean up afterwards. You weren't allowed to use the church for anything unless you were a member at my old church. I'm not a member at my new church yet but will probably become one in a few weeks.

What about food? What should I have? I don't want people to feel like they need to bring something, but it may be hard for us to supply all of the food. I was thinking about having someone grill hamburgers and hotdogs or maybe just have finger sandwiches and chips or if there isn't a lot of people then get some BBQ to make sandwiches. There's a BBQ place a few minutes from the church.

What about presents? I don't want anyone buying me anything, but I don't know how to go about telling everyone that.

My brother and SIL don't have anything at all to do with church, so I don't know how they'd feel about coming to the church. I would think they wouldn't care since it's not a church related event. But I'd be annoyed if they decided not to show up for it because I'd like to have all of my immediate family there.

I also don't know what time would be good to have this. My mom doesn't get off of work until 3p.m. So I thought about starting around 3:30pm. Should I have it until 5:30 or 6:00? Would that be too long to have it? We really wouldn't be doing anything except eating, hanging out a while and having cake and ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by *Living~By~Faith* View Post
          I don't know if the pastor allows these type of events or not, but I don't believe he'd mind as long as the church isn't going to be used for anything that day and as long as we clean up afterwards. You weren't allowed to use the church for anything unless you were a member at my old church. I'm not a member at my new church yet but will probably become one in a few weeks.

What about food? What should I have? I don't want people to feel like they need to bring something, but it may be hard for us to supply all of the food. I was thinking about having someone grill hamburgers and hotdogs or maybe just have finger sandwiches and chips or if there isn't a lot of people then get some BBQ to make sandwiches. There's a BBQ place a few minutes from the church.

What about presents? I don't want anyone buying me anything, but I don't know how to go about telling everyone that.

My brother and SIL don't have anything at all to do with church, so I don't know how they'd feel about coming to the church. I would think they wouldn't care since it's not a church related event. But I'd be annoyed if they decided not to show up for it because I'd like to have all of my immediate family there.

I also don't know what time would be good to have this. My mom doesn't get off of work until 3p.m. So I thought about starting around 3:30pm. Should I have it until 5:30 or 6:00? Would that be too long to have it? We really wouldn't be doing anything except eating, hanging out a while and having cake and ice cream.
          Maybe you could order some of those big Subway sandwiches, either that or Pizza? Just some thoughts.
          Jesus Christ is The Way, The Truth, and The Life.

Soli Deo Gloria!

My Video's:
          http://www.youtube.com/thewoodsofjordan

Comment

My birthday is two weeks from tomorrow. I'm going to ask my pastor on Sunday if I can use the church on that day. I have already mentioned it to a few people, but I'm still not sure on the time that I will have it. My mom doesn't get off of work until after 3:00 and she wants to go somewhere that evening, but I haven't heard what time that starts. I'm not going with her though. I'm thinking about having it around 3:30 until 5:00, then stay at church until the prayer meeting that starts at 6:00. That is if I can arrange to spend the night at someone's house in town. I was figuring up who I'd like to invite and there is more people than I thought. There are 12 in my immediate family and between 20 to 30 in my church that I'd want to invite.

How far in advance do I need to tell people? Do I need to give out some kind of invitation so that they will remember the date and time? How do I tell everyone that I don't want any gifts? I still haven't decided on food yet.

Comment

two weeks is a bit short for notice, so do it ASAP
              My body is a temple and my tattoos are the stained glass.

You can take away my worldly things, you can take away my life. There's one thing you can't touch.... MY FAITH IN GOD

www.eviltoddlers.com

..._______
              ./|___..__|
              |/__/|.|_/
              ...the BIG
              .....|.|_|
              .....|/_/

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                two weeks is a bit short for notice, so do it ASAP
                I know, I just didn't realize that the date was getting so close. I'll ask the pastor tomorrow if I can have it at the church, then I should be able to let everyone that I'm inviting from church know by the time church is over tomorrow evening. I can't print out any invitations because my printer doesn't work on my new computer, so I was wondering if it would look okay if I write out an invitation on index cards? That way people would have the date, time and location written down for them so they can remember it.

I'm not good with planning things like this. I may look into getting subway sandwiches or pizzas, but I don't know how much to get and it may get expensive. I was thinking about just having cake and ice cream, but I don't know if that would be okay. I'm not a very social person, so I'm also afraid that everyone will get bored. But most people will know each other so hopefully everyone will socialize. There is a lot that I can't figure out. Like if I should invite just the people that are around my age or if I should invite some of the older people. I thought about inviting so of the teenagers, then I realized that I don't really talk to them much and they would need someone to give them a ride there. I also thought about inviting the people that give me a ride to church, but I don't want them to feel obligated to come since they live a ways from the church. After figuring it up it looks like around 30 people in all including my family. That is if I just stick with people around my age.

Comment

Don't worry, Be happy!!!!!!

IT's sounds like "you're stressing!!!!" Stop it!!! What's the point of doing this if you're going to be a nervous wreck...Go with the cake and ice cream..You could get a few bags of chips and some dip...Let your family bring something, if it's not an inconvenience...Maybe some drinks, ice, paper plates, napkins, forks/spoons, fried chicken or anything that you need to finish it up...I mean, you don't want to go into a formal dinner!!!Alleluia.

If I was nearby, I'd do it for you!!!!!that way you'd have nothing to do, but enjoy it....LOL

OH, just in case I miss it:
                  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
                  John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in HIM should not perish, but have eternal life.

My testimony: http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137007

Comment

I wasn't able to tell many people about this at church yesterday so I was going to send an email out because all except three or four people have an email address. Here is what I want to say in the invitation. How does it sound?

I would like to invite you to my birthday celebration.

Date: Saturday Oct. 11th
                    Time: 3:30-5:00
                    Food: Cake and Ice Cream
                    No gifts

Iím inviting some others from church that are around our age.

I now wish I could do it this coming Saturday because it would be easier for me. But that's too short of a notice. They are having a yard sale at the church on Saturday and I was thinking about going to help out with it. Everyone will be gone by 2:00 from the yard sale, so it would have been nice if I could have had the celebration afterwards.

Comment

Have a wonderful birthday celebration!!

Jeanne xo
                      Refrain your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears, for your work shall be rewarded declares the Lord, and they (your children) will come back from the land of the enemy. Jeremiah 31:16-17
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sometimes God lets you hit rock bottom so that you can discover He is the rock at the bottom

All the forces of darkness cannot stop what God has ordained. Isaiah 14:27

Comment

It was pretty nice. I invited around 12 from church but only three showed up, so that was disappointing. But oh well.

Comment

Hi Wanda, I just now saw this! Wish I could have been at the party with you, to sing Happy Birthday 2 U!

Happy birthday 2 U!
                          Happy birthday 2 U!
                          Happy birthday dear Wanda!
                          Happy birthday 2 U!
                          Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
                          23 Guard your heart above all else,
                          for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

Hey
                            God Bless you and give you all the desires of your heart. May every day be filled with the presence of Jesus, His comfort and His peace.

Remember God loves you
                            Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Love In Christ,
                              Tanya

Comment

Working...
                              X