Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 bible translations - by sales.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Top 10 bible translations - by sales.

    Without cheating (with a computer search - i know i can trust Christians), do you think that you'd know the top 10 selling bible translations? In history? This year worldwide? In your country?

    This is a bit of fun and came to mind when i answered on the latest Which bible? topic. I wouldn't even like to guess myself, i know i'll be so wrong. SofTy.
    1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

    Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

    KJV

    May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

  • #2
    Wow...that's a good question!

    As far as English versions...

    I guess the "best seller" in history would be the KJV since most other translations in English didn't come about until the 20th century....

    As far as the others...You've got me there!
    Ιησούς Χριστός ο κυριος μου και ο θεος μου



    ****When the Lord opens a door, don't walk through it....run full speed; if it's the wrong one He'll let ya know...sometimes He just wants to see if you'll move at all!****


    A Minister of God Ministry - Support and understanding for a Christian serving in the military

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd guess the NIV at the top of the list.

      Comment


      • #4
        It'd probably go:

        KJV
        ASB/NASB
        NIV
        NKJV
        NLT
        The Message
        TNIV
        ESV
        NCV
        HCSB

        That'd be the guess....in all reality, only the KJV, NASB, ESV, and NIV are excellent translations. The others leave much to be desired. Personally, I find the NASB and ESV to be the best.

        Comment


        • #5
          All I could guess is that KJV would be at the top and that NKJV and NIV would be in the top 4.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by apothanein kerdos View Post
            It'd probably go:

            KJV
            ASB/NASB
            NIV
            NKJV
            NLT
            The Message
            TNIV
            ESV
            NCV
            HCSB

            That'd be the guess....in all reality, only the KJV, NASB, ESV, and NIV are excellent translations. The others leave much to be desired. Personally, I find the NASB and ESV to be the best.

            Could you tell us what the title of these abbeviations are. Obviously i recognise a few, but not all. Thank you, SofTy.
            1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

            Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

            KJV

            May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ServantofTruth View Post
              Could you tell us what the title of these abbeviations are. Obviously i recognise a few, but not all. Thank you, SofTy.
              Not a problem:

              KJV - King James Version

              ASB/NASB - American Standard Bible/New American Standard Bible

              NIV - New International Version

              NKJV - New King James Version

              NLT - New Living Translation

              The Message - well....The Message

              TNIV - Today's New International Version

              ESV - English Standard Version

              NCV - New Century Version

              HCSB - Holman Christian Standard Bible

              Comment


              • #8
                I was talking to the lady at the bible store last week and she said The KJV was only #3 in sales around the world. But in the USA it was #4, and the NKJV was #3. The NIV was #1 in the USA and Around the world. I cannot remember what the others were. She had a list of it in her publisher's news letter. Ironic you asked.

                Galatians 2: 20
                I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Interesting question... I don't know that I'd care to guess the top 10 but I reckon the original King James would be at or near the top.

                  After the KJV I'd reckon we'd see the NIV, GNB, KNJV, NLT and The Message.

                  (this is based on best-selling in history. If we made it this year then drop the KJV and shift the NIV, NLT and The message nearer the top)

                  I wonder where something like the Hebrew/Greek interlinear would come out...
                  24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
                  I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
                  I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

                  ---

                  1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
                  1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tango View Post
                    Interesting question... I don't know that I'd care to guess the top 10 but I reckon the original King James would be at or near the top.

                    After the KJV I'd reckon we'd see the NIV, GNB, KNJV, NLT and The Message.

                    (this is based on best-selling in history. If we made it this year then drop the KJV and shift the NIV, NLT and The message nearer the top)

                    I wonder where something like the Hebrew/Greek interlinear would come out...
                    It's good just having you here, Tango. SofTy.
                    1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

                    Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

                    KJV

                    May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sherrie View Post
                      I was talking to the lady at the bible store last week and she said The KJV was only #3 in sales around the world. But in the USA it was #4, and the NKJV was #3. The NIV was #1 in the USA and Around the world. I cannot remember what the others were. She had a list of it in her publisher's news letter. Ironic you asked.
                      Did this lady know why certain versions were more popular? I wonder if it's individuals/ word of mouth, or churches buying bulk. That's why i thought KJV, because many different churches i've been to and discussed with the ministers/ pastors all respect the KJV.

                      Is it that both catholics and protestants respect the kjv?

                      Peace, SofTy.
                      1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

                      Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

                      KJV

                      May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by apothanein kerdos View Post
                        Not a problem:

                        KJV - King James Version

                        ASB/NASB - American Standard Bible/New American Standard Bible

                        NIV - New International Version

                        NKJV - New King James Version

                        NLT - New Living Translation

                        The Message - well....The Message

                        TNIV - Today's New International Version

                        ESV - English Standard Version

                        NCV - New Century Version

                        HCSB - Holman Christian Standard Bible

                        You always sound quite knowledgeable. Do you know how these bible are translated? What i mean is are they almost 'original' translations or translations of other translations.

                        I admit i'm not good at history, but have an interest in learning. Didn't i read that many are from the Latin and there were some errors, that modern translators have been able to iron out, by using older manuscripts?

                        I know this is off topic, anyone can private message or use my profile if they prefer. SofTy.
                        1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

                        Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

                        KJV

                        May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by apothanein kerdos View Post
                          It'd probably go:

                          KJV
                          ASB/NASB
                          NIV
                          NKJV
                          NLT
                          The Message
                          TNIV
                          ESV
                          NCV
                          HCSB

                          That'd be the guess....in all reality, only the KJV, NASB, ESV, and NIV are excellent translations. The others leave much to be desired. Personally, I find the NASB and ESV to be the best.
                          Quite surprised you like the KJV and NIV but not the NKJV - or did you just forget to include it? I agree the other four are all great but would definitely put the NKJV way above the NIV, which I've found to be increasingly disappointing as I've got into both the NKJV and the ESV. If it was excluded deliberately, I'd be interested to know why......

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You always sound quite knowledgeable. Do you know how these bible are translated? What i mean is are they almost 'original' translations or translations of other translations.

                            I admit i'm not good at history, but have an interest in learning. Didn't i read that many are from the Latin and there were some errors, that modern translators have been able to iron out, by using older manuscripts?
                            Well all of them rely on previous translations. I think almost all have to go back to the Latin Vulgate at some point, at least for a reference on difficult to translate passages. Without going into too much detail, The Message and to a certain extent the NIV are paraphrases and not translations. This means they look at reliable translations and paraphrase what has been said. The Message is more obvious in this than the NIV. The TNIV is also in this area.

                            The KJV, NASB, ESV and some others rely on the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts for their translations (to an extent). If you'd like I could go into detail on each one.


                            Quite surprised you like the KJV and NIV but not the NKJV - or did you just forget to include it? I agree the other four are all great but would definitely put the NKJV way above the NIV, which I've found to be increasingly disappointing as I've got into both the NKJV and the ESV. If it was excluded deliberately, I'd be interested to know why......
                            It was unintentional. The NKJV is an excellent translation as well.

                            The only reason I'd say the NIV is a good read is because some parts of it are actually translated and not paraphrased. This lends to an easier understanding in certain passages.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by apothanein kerdos View Post
                              It was unintentional. The NKJV is an excellent translation as well.

                              The only reason I'd say the NIV is a good read is because some parts of it are actually translated and not paraphrased. This lends to an easier understanding in certain passages.
                              Agree wholeheartedly - SOME of the NIV is really excellent - but on the whole, the others you have mentioned are far better overall.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X