Charging for church functions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging for church functions

It bothers me when churches have functions like prayer breakfasts, or concerts, or seminars & charge for them. I know it takes money for ministry, but I feel like you should have to pay to be taught & edified. Can't they just take up an offering & allow people to give as they are able? Am I just being touchy or do you agree?

Originally posted by mrsparks View Post
    It bothers me when churches have functions like prayer breakfasts, or concerts, or seminars & charge for them. I know it takes money for ministry, but I feel like you should have to pay to be taught & edified. Can't they just take up an offering & allow people to give as they are able? Am I just being touchy or do you agree?
    If it's a concert, it's entertainment, the world has no problem paying for their entertainment, why do we?

Seminars do cost money, and again the world will pay for theirs, why not us?

Prayer breakfasts? never had to pay for that one, just a love offering
    It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

What is it your paying for? You are paying for the event to take place that is usually outside of the church budget. The church cannot pay for every event, especailly if there are costs associated with it.
      Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Every paid church event I know of, if you had a financial situation you could always just talk to one of the ministers and they could get you in for free.

Comment

...yep, being a "little touchy." But, I still love you...

There are plenty of bible studies out there...you could even join in on one here. There are usually a few going on...Amen....I understand how sometimes funds get a little short!!!!! Been there, done that!!! Don't let satan steal your joy~~~~~
          John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in HIM should not perish, but have eternal life.

My testimony: http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137007

Comment

Originally posted by IPet2_9 View Post
            Every paid church event I know of, if you had a financial situation you could always just talk to one of the ministers and they could get you in for free.
            That's how a lot of the things are at our church. Basically, they ask for a small donation ($2-$3 per person) to help cover the cost of the food. If you can't pay, however, nobody's going to stop you from eating and enjoying in fellowship.
            We long to be known and we fear it like nothing else.
            Most people live with subtle dread that one day,
            they will be discovered for who they really are,
            and the world will be appalled.
            - Curtis, Brent and John Eldredge,
            The Sacred Romance: Drawing Closer to the Heart of God

The joy is not in hiding, the joy is in being found.
            - David Terry

My Testimony

Comment

Most churches use this method for fundraising as most has a lack of funds.

Comment

At my church events are usually on a donation basis only. For instance - this Sunday the youth are hosting a spaghetti dinner. We all know it is to raise funds for their upcoming trip. Everyone will be as generous as they can afford to and some will eat who can't afford to donate. Perhaps some will only donate desserts to help.

But our 'luminary prayer relay' event tomorrow evening is free. Last call for any prayer requests.
                g
                "Gripped in the Hand of God"

Comment

Maybe they want everyone to read between the lines and get the congregation to place more in the offerings each week?

All this costs money to facilitate and if the money the church has on tap from offerings can't cover them, then it makes sense to ask for something to cover all this stuff.
                  Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

As I said, I realize it takes money for ministry, but how does this come across to visitors, who may be unbelievers?

Comment

As I said, I realize it takes money for ministry, but how does this come across to visitors, who may be unbelievers?
                      That disturbs me too. If it's a reasonable amount, I'd be OK with it. Anything else, and I would not.

Comment

My church has fundraising dinners after service sometimes, and visitors are always invited to stay and eat with us for free. It's also made clear that everyone in the congregation is welcome whether they can afford to pay or not.
                        May the vision of You be the death of me.

Comment

You HAVE to make ends meet. Over half the people who apply to become a missionary end up not, because they can't raise the funds. Unfortunately that means somebody has to be the bad guy, charging for some church functions, or slashing important projects.

Comment

Often the charges are there to cover the extra running costs that have not been formulated into the annual church running budget.

Another extra cost can be public liability insurance for extra events and any other public licences that may be needed and that can be costly.

What should be available is transparacy as to why the costs are as they are.
                            Grace is the gift of Christ, who exposes the gulf which separates God and man, and, by exposing it, bridges it. [K Barth]

Comment

At our church for coffee hour, we ave to put money inot the bowl to have something, there isn't a set price, its whatever the prson can afford or wants to give,s ame with potlucks nad some concerts we hve, we have a free will offering that people will put in whatever amont they want to give or cna afford. I've been to concerts with big names as Selah, Superchick, Avalon and so on where we had to pay to see them. But our churhc has small concerts wiht a pianist form a college who comes to play and that is free will, we never had a big oncert from a big artist that tour come. But money just done't get handed to you, some events may need to charge cuz sometimes it goes over the budget. People want to have concerts, then they should be willing to pitch in and help. People these days seem to want something and think they should have it but don't feel the need to heklp out and expect it to be handed to them. we've gottne so spoiled. (not implying tht this is everyone or anyone here, just saying in general). They probably have put some money itno it, but its proably more than they can put into it so they have to count on the congregation to help pitch in.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X