Christian Prog. rock bands.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christian Prog. rock bands.........

My son has an affinity for Christian sreamo, as he calls it......like Hell Bound and Underoath whose drummer recetnly has gone solo.
    Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Originally posted by shepherdsword View Post
      See if you can did up some old Resurrection Band,Petra,Degarmo & Key and Archangel...good stuff from the mid 70's and 80s
      Archangel had a song called "nephalim" that was very good
      Do you know where you can even find archangel. I had the LP 20 plus years ago. It was great

Comment

I don't know much about music (what's progressive?!) but maybe you'll like....:
        Psalm 19:14
        Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_no_one View Post
          I don't know much about music (what's progressive?!) but maybe you'll like....:
          Andrew, here is an example of Progressive Rock from a Christian band:

Theocracy - I AM

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
          --
          Slug1--out

~John 8:14 Jesus answered and said to them, “Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from and where I am going.~

~John 6:62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?~ (Jesus is Eternal - existed before becoming a man)

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
            Andrew, here is an example of Progressive Rock from a Christian band:

Theocracy - I AM

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
            Hey thanks for the example.
            Psalm 19:14
            Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
            sigpic

Comment

This song is awesome!! Been playing along with it the last couple of days up to the 5:20 mark.

Comment

Arkangel - 'Warrior' • An 'Apocalyptic Rock' Masterpiece

@ cfogarty1964:

G'day from the Great White North of Canada, eh?

I'll never forget the first time I listened to ArkAngel's progressive rock masterpiece 'Warrior'. CCM Magazine featured a full-page colour ad, resplendent with the caption: "The spirit of apocalyptic rock". Whoa Nelly! In an era where the sanitized Christian music industry was largely 'playing it safe', I was immediately intrigued. At my first opportunity, I purchased the album. To say that I was swept away by this hauntingly beautiful recording is an understatement.

Allow me to quote directly from Angelic Warlord's review of 'Warrior':

"ArkAngel's 1980 debut Warrior is widely considered a classic in the annals of early Christian rock. And rightly so! Drawing in a creative manner from the rich vein of progressive art rock, ArkAngel showcases influences as diverse as Yes, Kansas and Jethro Tull and combines them with occasional Tolkien imagery to create a powerful and apocalyptic mixture of the acoustic and the electric: The album's first side, 'Wind Face', is mostly acoustic, while 'Fire Face', its second, moves in a hard rock direction with classical overtones."

Tell you what: I was enchanted from the moment the Scottish bagpipes ushered in the title track until the lush reprise concluded side two. ArkAngel - 'Warrior' is quite simply the finest worship music that these ears have heard. The band's driving force is Kemper Crabb, who released his own solo album of stellar medieval worship music entitled 'The Vigil'. So when Kemper set about to create 'Warrior', he combined his love of medieval music with progressive rock elements to create a transcendent musical and lyrical soundscape that is unparalleled in the history of Christian music. This is a one-of-a-kind album par excellence.

Pursuant to your question, Kemper is selling digital copies of 'Warrior' on his own website. Here is the link to his store:
                http://www.theconnextion.com/kemperc...m?ArtistID=354

As for the original 1980 record album, well, to quote CCM Magazine:

"'Warrior' has become one of the most sought after and expensive collector’s item’s in CCM history. From the stunning album artwork to the brilliant art rock performed perfectly, there is really no doubt as to why this is such a sought-after project. The artwork and the music conjure up images of Tolkien and 'middle Earth', crusades and knights in shining armor."

And then there's the way-cool 4-page lyric sheet! Each instrument used in the recording is visually depicted. Each band member is symbolized by an image of a creature - a lion, a winged cat, a wolf, an eagle, and a bat. Underneath the lyrics to each song, the band member 'creatures' are matched to images of the instruments they played. How imaginative is that!

And just check out the list of instruments:

KEMPER CRABB
                Lead Vocals,Classic Guitar, Lute, Recorder, Drums, Tambourine, Finger Cymbals, Acoustic Guitar, Kalimba, Dulcimer,
                Bell Tree,
                Tubular Bells, Board Slaps, Psaltery, High Strung Guitar, Accordion, Fender Rhodes Electric Piano, Bell Tree, Rim Bells, Recorder
                DAVID MARSHALL
                Electric Rhythm Guitar, Full Frontal Guitar, Bass
                RANDY SANCHEZ
                Drums & Mall Toms, Vibra Slaps, Board Slaps
                RICHARD CONINE
                Synthesizers, Hammond Organ, Saxophone & Flute, Malletized Piano, Hohner Clavinet
                BEKAH CRABB
                Vocals, Autoharp
                ANDY WHITE
                Bagpipes

Here's one final treat for you: A full-length interview with Kemper Crabb in which Kemper discusses the album song by song. Here's the link:
                http://robertigno-christianblogspotc...-combines.html

Enjoy!

Yours in the Keeper of the Fire and the Wind,

PhiL {'•_•'}
                Last edited by PhoToArTisTPhiL; Aug 16 2013, 04:16 PM. Reason: For some reason, my post was duplicated.

Comment

Any luck finding something Pink Floydish? I am finding that most of the prog rock bands here do a lot of synth noodling and are very heavy in the progressions. I haven't found any Christian music that I like though quite frankly I don't know where to start. Been trying spotify to help, but nothing yet. My favorite music tends to fall into the Realm of latter Pink Floyd (think High Hopes or anything on the Division Bell), I also really love Airbag, RPWL and Marrillion. For the most part the bands in the list have weak singers and lack the depth of melody I yearn for. Plus the lyrics aren't all that great. I feel closer to God listening to a good Marillion tune. Not trying to be a whiner here, but I feel like I can't talk music with any of my Christian friends.

-Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Salas View Post
                    Any luck finding something Pink Floydish? I am finding that most of the prog rock bands here do a lot of synth noodling and are very heavy in the progressions. I haven't found any Christian music that I like though quite frankly I don't know where to start. Been trying spotify to help, but nothing yet. My favorite music tends to fall into the Realm of latter Pink Floyd (think High Hopes or anything on the Division Bell), I also really love Airbag, RPWL and Marrillion. For the most part the bands in the list have weak singers and lack the depth of melody I yearn for. Plus the lyrics aren't all that great. I feel closer to God listening to a good Marillion tune. Not trying to be a whiner here, but I feel like I can't talk music with any of my Christian friends.

-Scott
                    Hi Scott - I'm an old Marillion fan, and you aren't going to find anything quite like them in the Christian realm. However, the good news is that there is more options than ever, and because of technology, the music sounds really good most of the time. Assuming you are a strong Christian and can relate themes of beauty, tragedy, good & evil, etc. back to Scripture and you are not going to be led astray by the thoughts & lyrics of these groups, I'll give you my opinions on the music I think you'll like:
                    Transatlantic - Pete Trawavas plays bass in this group, and the lyrics are consistently spiritual. Check out Kaleidoscope first.
                    Enchant - lead singer and lyricist Ted Leonard is a Christian
                    Neal Morse - He was in Spock's Beard and left to go solo, and has a number of good prog records with a definite Christian emphasis. Check Grand Experiment first, then One.
                    Dave Kerzner - New World -- most like Pink Floyd -- very positive cd but I don't see much in Christian themes.
                    Spock's Beard - very positive in nature, some Christian themes, some real prog epics. Check out Falling for Forever
                    David Bainbridge - guitarist for band Iona (next), Celestial Fire is incredible prog project with soundly Biblical themes
                    Iona - celtic prog, ranging from folk and ambient to face melting, gut trembling guitar solos.
                    Glass Hammer - You may hate Yes and if so you probably won't like GH, but I like it. Check out Lex Rex, then If, then Breaking of the World.
                    Eric Gillette - Afterthought. Very tasty guitarist, and some Christian themes
                    Lifesigns - great prog, positive elements.
                    Threshold - one of the writers is Christian but I think the themes are pretty weak. Music pretty good

On the metal side of Progressive:
                    Theocracy - without a doubt one of the best, either secular or Christian, I've ever heard.
                    Affector - straight out of the book of revelation with mind blowing guitarist
                    Shadow Gallery -
                    Waken Eyes
                    Harmony
                    7 Days

I have lots of little known stuff if you have any desire to hit me back. Hope you end up liking some of this - Blessings!

Comment

Working...
                    X