worldy music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worldy music

i know that as christians our body is the temple of GOD and we need to be careful what goes in our body like music that may contain harsh words.i don't know if i make lame excuses for likeing metal for just the music and not the words but i am a guitar player and i love metal along with any guitar music.i know GOD knows our hearts but really i don't think in paradise there is going to be metal music in the presence of GOD.ok so the question is am i sinning when i listen to metal?

I listen to Christian metal all the time and IMO there's nothing wrong with it. God will get His message across to all people and if some like to listen to it screamed and with the thunder of electic guitars then He'll use bands who scream and have loud guitars so these types of people will listen.
    Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

what about bands like slipknot and metallica.i know slipknot uses satanic images and i hate that but i like thier music,i don't like the words.is that a sin?, i think it is.i was wondering what everyone else thinks.thanks

Comment

Originally posted by paradiseinn View Post
        i know that as christians our body is the temple of GOD and we need to be careful what goes in our body like music that may contain harsh words.i don't know if i make lame excuses for likeing metal for just the music and not the words but i am a guitar player and i love metal along with any guitar music.i know GOD knows our hearts but really i don't think in paradise there is going to be metal music in the presence of GOD.ok so the question is am i sinning when i listen to metal?
        Yes.
        "Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;" - Ephesians 5:19
        "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." - Revelation 20:6

Comment

(Isa 42:1-3 KJV) Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. {2} He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street. {3} A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

(1 Th 2:7 KJV) But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children:

(2 Tim 2:24 KJV) And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

(Titus 3:2 KJV) To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, showing all meekness unto all men.

(James 3:17 KJV) But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

(1 Pet 2:18 KJV) Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.

Seems like gentleness is the fruit of the Spirit that appeals to all men.
          Robin

Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
          And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
          Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
          Those who compromise with Christís enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

what about bands like slipknot and metallica.i know slipknot uses satanic images and i hate that but i like thier music,i don't like the words.is that a sin?, i think it is.i was wondering what everyone else thinks.thanks
            Satan imitates everything God has and if you like this stype of music, then find the Christian varient that these bands imitate.

I love that type of music to include my all time favorite band AC/DC but have not really listened to them in years and have not bought anything from them. I'm tempted to buy their new release next month but like other CD's I was tempted to buy (like the latest Disturbed CD) cause I enjoy the music so much... I didn't and my spirit is at ease cause I resisted the temptation

So I'll continue to listen to the bands that are Christian and sing words that Glorify God along with 2 screaming guitars, a bass, and drums
            Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

i listen to secular metal often; but oftenly enough christain metal too.
              xPurity Through Resistancex

Straight Edge

Comment

it by no means will bring you closer to God. i seriously deleted about 20 gigs of music that i felt was 'bad'

honestly, metal rules, i'd reccomend finding good christian metal bands. there are some....

but i'd like to tell you as well, since i left that negitive music behind i've grown in my relationship with Christ. one of satan's lies i think makes us believe that the little things don't matter as much as the big things, when really the little things add up to the big things.

even though i loved many satanic metal bands i stopped listening to them. it's not what i want with my life, but what God wants. and i say any music that is going against Him is unaccepable. that's just me though....

try these bands:

with blood comes cleansing
                underneath the gun
                on solid ground
                war of ages
                becomeing the archetype

good luck bud.

Comment

Gen 4:21 Jubal is our forefather of music, the sin is not in the melody, the sin is in the message in the music.

if the metal you listen to has a bad message or conjures up sinful memories in your past then it is a sin.
                  It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

No music should be "harmful" to anyone with any critical-thinking faculties at all. I always hear about how song lyrics will infiltrate your soul and blah blah blah, but I cannot see how that would be true for, again, a moderately objective person. It's one thing to be offended by lyrics; it's another to think you're going to be influenced by them. Anyway, if you like a band, listen to it. If you're too offended by the lyrics, don't. But looking for a "Christian substitute" is no solution, because it assumes that you just want to listen to metal music, it doesn't matter what it is or how accomplished it is. As long as it has distorted guitars and heavy drums and screaming, you're good to go. I know nothing about metal, but I assume that there is at least some variation in quality between bands, and that they do not all sound the exact same. So listen to good music; don't listen to any random thing from a genre you generally like just because it has "good" lyrics.
                    "We are symbols and inhabit symbols; workmen, work, and tools, words and things, birth and death, all are emblems; but we sympathize with the symbols, and being infatuated with the economical uses of things, we do not know that they are thoughts." - Emerson, "The Poet" (Essays, Second Series)

Comment

Originally posted by Luke34 View Post
                      No music should be "harmful" to anyone with any critical-thinking faculties at all. I always hear about how song lyrics will infiltrate your soul and blah blah blah, but I cannot see how that would be true for, again, a moderately objective person. It's one thing to be offended by lyrics; it's another to think you're going to be influenced by them.
                      Does not evil communication corrupt good manners?

Anyway, if you like a band, listen to it. If you're too offended by the lyrics, don't. But looking for a "Christian substitute" is no solution, because it assumes that you just want to listen to metal music, it doesn't matter what it is or how accomplished it is. As long as it has distorted guitars and heavy drums and screaming, you're good to go. I know nothing about metal, but I assume that there is at least some variation in quality between bands, and that they do not all sound the exact same. So listen to good music; don't listen to any random thing from a genre you generally like just because it has "good" lyrics.
                      "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." - Revelation 20:6

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus_1611 View Post

not to mention that faith comes by hearing, you cannot listen to negativity over and over and not be affected by it.
                        It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

thank you for your replies everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus_1611 View Post
                            Not necessarily, no.

Originally posted by always
                            not to mention that faith comes by hearing, you cannot listen to negativity over and over and not be affected by it.
                            Why not? It's not like it's some subliminal message or something. A song's "message," assuming it has one, is right there, and you can accept it or not.
                            "We are symbols and inhabit symbols; workmen, work, and tools, words and things, birth and death, all are emblems; but we sympathize with the symbols, and being infatuated with the economical uses of things, we do not know that they are thoughts." - Emerson, "The Poet" (Essays, Second Series)

Comment

got anything to back this up with?

"music" is not a sin. Even secular metal. LYRICS on the other hand....
                              My body is a temple and my tattoos are the stained glass.

You can take away my worldly things, you can take away my life. There's one thing you can't touch.... MY FAITH IN GOD

www.eviltoddlers.com

..._______
                              ./|___..__|
                              |/__/|.|_/
                              ...the BIG
                              .....|.|_|
                              .....|/_/

Comment

Working...
                              X