any musicians around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any musicians around?

i've been playing guitar for almost 20 years.GOD has blessed me with this gift.i come from a family that have been musicians.right now i have a esp ltd ec50 electric and a mitchell acoustic guitar my amp is a roland jc120 i also play thru a boss me30 effects unit.just wonderin if anyone here is into playing music.thanks

I'm a piano performance major at college. I also do percussion, organ and clarinet (the last not so well).
    "We are symbols and inhabit symbols; workmen, work, and tools, words and things, birth and death, all are emblems; but we sympathize with the symbols, and being infatuated with the economical uses of things, we do not know that they are thoughts." - Emerson, "The Poet" (Essays, Second Series)

Comment

hmm. you know, after 7 years of playing guitar i never got better. oh well
      i played bass in a band for 6 years.
      i can play drums alright
      i make electronic music, which involves playing a midi keyboard

if i could afford a harp i'd totally get one too.

Comment

I play piano, violin, and just picked up the Mandolin (still really rusty). I also sing.
        I studied classical piano through jr high high, college and was a piano performance major for a while, but I just didn't enjoy it enough to major, so I switched to a music minor.
        Here lies the tremendous mystery - that God should be all-powerful, yet refuse to coerce. He summons us to cooperation. We are honoured in being given the opportunity to participate in his good deeds. Remember how He asked for help in performing his miracles : Fill the waterpots, stretch out your hand, distribute the loaves.
        Elisabeth Elliot

De reir a cheile a thogtar na caisleain!

Comment

hey lets start a bandlol

Comment

I had never played any instrument or studied music in my life. About 6 years ago, my hubby and I started going to a new church, and they use accoustic instruments (guitar and mandolin) in the service. One day, I went up to pastor after service and pointed to his guitar. I asked him, "If I learn to play one of those things, will you let me play?" He said, "Well, sure!" I went out the next day, bought a Harmony guitar and started taking lessons. I was 51 at the time. I took lessons for about 1 1/2 yrs. and then started playing in church. The pastor asked me later what prompted me to ask him that day if I could play. My answer - "Well, it must have been the Lord, because up till the instant that it came out of my mouth, playing music in church had never crossed my mind."

Believe me, I don't play fancy or anything, just basic chords and have played rhythm for a couple of different groups. What a blessing this music has been in my life! I just wish I had learned at an early age so I would be better. I see the kids in their teens and they are so talented - I know we're not supposed to "covet" what others have, but sometimes I do "covet" their ability to play and write songs.

Anyway, the Lord has blessed me with a nursing home ministry. I go to 15 nursing homes each month and play gospel music and sing for the residents. I sometimes think I'm more blessed by this than they are. I love going to nursing homes - they are so gracious and so appreciative of the music. I sing old hymns mostly, as that is what the folks remember and enjoy the most. It thrills my heart when I hear an alzheimer's patient who doesn't even communicate verbally anymore start singing along when I sing "The Old Rugged Cross." Or they might just clap their hands.

Over the years, I have also learned to mess around a little with the mandolin, and have learned to pick a banjo somewhat. I learned to play "Cripple Creek", which is the first song for most banjo players, and also "Amazing Grace", which was pretty difficult, but I was determined. I love Bluegrass music the best and frequently "jam" with several different bands.

I have two guitars - a flat-top Hohner and an electric accoustic, which is what I use the most. Sorry to "run on" so much, but I just get excited when I talk about music. It is such a blessing!

Thanks for "listening." God Bless.
            "I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." Psalm 9:2

Comment

Does trying to be a musician count

I've owned my guitar for about 5 years now and have about... oh maybe a whole 6 months playing time on it and it sounds like I've only been playing for 6 months on it
              Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

god bless you grace,that was so awsome to read your post.i still have a smile.it sounds like you kick butt playing and singing.keep it up girl!good job!thanks for your reply!

Comment

hey slug keep at it man.practice.you will get as good as you want to!

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                    Does trying to be a musician count

I've owned my guitar for about 5 years now and have about... oh maybe a whole 6 months playing time on it and it sounds like I've only been playing for 6 months on it

Well, I've been playing for about 6 years now and much of the time it sounds like I"VE only been playing for 6 months on it. But, we must endure and persist - all good things take time!

God Bless.
                    "I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." Psalm 9:2

Comment

Right now I'm forcing myself to learn Strong Tower by Kutless. I got the intro down

Forcing, cause I'm lazy, hahaha
                      Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

hey slug i have to tell you , i know alot of intros to songs but i never seem to learn the rest of the song.LOL. i've found out thats a guitar player thing. we all know a bunch of intros. it's kinnda funny.

Comment

Originally posted by paradiseinn View Post
                          hey slug i have to tell you , i know alot of intros to songs but i never seem to learn the rest of the song.LOL. i've found out thats a guitar player thing. we all know a bunch of intros. it's kinnda funny.
                          Hahaha, so true and the 1st intro learned is Smoke on the Water
                          Slug1--out

Comment

yes...exactly!

Comment

You are so right! My daughter, who is a fantastic guitar player, knows the intro to about 50 different songs. I'll ask her to play the rest of the song, and she usually says, "I don't know the rest. Just the intro."

I think she really enjoys learning the picking parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X