"The Shack" by William P. Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Shack" by William P. Young

I have a friend who is currently reading The Shack and who swears it's completely "revolutionizing" her concept of God. She wants me to read it as well as soon as she finishes it.

I've seen a number of comments on the internet regarding this book, and they all seem to go to one extreme or the other. It's either an incredible, life-changing book, or it's one of the most dangerously subtle New Age distortions of Christianity to come out in years.

I'm not really too worried about it "distorting" my views, because I spend enough time in Bible study that I'm usually pretty good at spotting doctrinal errors pretty fast, but since I haven't been able to start reading this book yet (it'll probably be this weekend when I start reading it), I'm curious to see some comments from anybody here who has read it.

So, the floor is open!
    ----------------------------------------------
    When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
    I have a friend who is currently reading The Shack and who swears it's completely "revolutionizing" her concept of God. She wants me to read it as well as soon as she finishes it.

I've seen a number of comments on the internet regarding this book, and they all seem to go to one extreme or the other. It's either an incredible, life-changing book, or it's one of the most dangerously subtle New Age distortions of Christianity to come out in years.

I'm not really too worried about it "distorting" my views, because I spend enough time in Bible study that I'm usually pretty good at spotting doctrinal errors pretty fast, but since I haven't been able to start reading this book yet (it'll probably be this weekend when I start reading it), I'm curious to see some comments from anybody here who has read it.

So, the floor is open!
    I think there was thread on this a while back in Bible Chat.

EDIT: Scratch that, it was Maturing in Christ
    http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...ighlight=shack
    Last edited by teddyv; Sep 24th 2008, 08:49 PM. Reason: correction and link
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

I appreciated it for what I believe it was: the story of one man's struggle with reconciling the evil he witnessed with the goodness of God, and of God's mercy and grace in bringing that man to a greater wholeness and healing through that struggle. It was an allegorical tale and if you read it as such, there is much there that is thought-provoking and encouraging.
      Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

Comment

Our Mother,
        Who art in the Shack...

Comment

When I first saw title of the topic, it put the song "Love Shack" in my head.
          I've never read the book, and have no idea what it's about. I did read Generous Orthodoxy, and some Christians I know believe it's a bunch of new-age mysticism hodgepodge. I personally really enjoyed.
          Here lies the tremendous mystery - that God should be all-powerful, yet refuse to coerce. He summons us to cooperation. We are honoured in being given the opportunity to participate in his good deeds. Remember how He asked for help in performing his miracles : Fill the waterpots, stretch out your hand, distribute the loaves.
          Elisabeth Elliot

De reir a cheile a thogtar na caisleain!

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
            Our Mother,
            Who art in the Shack...

I knew I'd find you here.
            Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

Comment

Our Mother,
              Who art in the Shack...
              ----------------------------------------------
              When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

I hadn't seen this thread but I just now finished this book and I suggest...I beg...I plead, that it be the next book you read...that is all I have to say.

Peace to you all.
                As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Comment

The book didn't "revolutionize" my concept of God, but it definetely portrayed His heart accurately. Or at least, as much as I know it to be.

Comment

I read it and thought it was not bad. By "not bad" I mean I really liked it while I was reading it but a week after finishing it I'll never think about it again for the rest of my life. For "revolutionizing" I would recommend Calvin's "Institutes of Christian Religion", the greatest theological book ever written (excepte the Bible of course) and a book I continually come back to over and over. If I could only have one work in my library other than the Bible itself it would be the Institutes.

Comment

I read it and found it to be pretty much a tour de force, but do concede that it was thought provoking to the extent that you realized the Trinity can take many forms snd still be the Trinity . . .

I have been loath (my whole life) to accept one person's word as "the word", and rely instead on perusing what is written, forming my own opinion based on God's allowance for the opinion to ease and soothe my heart.

After all, our so called "leaders" have only their personal charisma to substantiate their speakings or writings.

The Shack was a good read, no more, and certainly no less.

Comment

I wrote a long review of it:

Here

Anyone who says a fictional book that doesn't go back to Scripture "revolutionizes" their view of God, I'd tend to argue that revolution isn't a good one.

Comment

Our Mother,
                          Who art in the Shack...
                          I laugh every time I read this post.

I read the book. The first part was pretty good and sad I might add. Once it got in the shack and met Mother God, I started to get not so sure about the whole thing. Mother God listening to Rock with her headphones on and cooking dinner/breakfast?
                          There was just a lot wrong with the whole thing aside from the fact that the man/father in the story was never introduced to Jesus Christ in a manner that would lead to His salvation.

I love to read, but I do not recommend this book. It was a waste of my reading time. In my opinion.
                          .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
                          .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Scary... I bought the book awhile back but haven't read it yet. Sounds like that's probably a good thing..,
                            Psalm 118:8 - "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."

Comment

Originally posted by karenoka27 View Post

I love to read, but I do not recommend this book. It was a waste of my reading time. In my opinion.
                              Good thing it was such a quick read. ...maybe 5 hours tops including bathroom breaks? ...and I'm a slow reader.

JesusLover, I don't think 'scary' would be the right word. I think you should give it a read and see for yourself. There are definitely some very positive things that can be taken out of it.
                              As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Comment

Working...
                              X