Need help giving an introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help giving an introduction

My understanding scripture class at church begins tomorrow (Tuesday) night. My evangelism class started this past Sunday. We had to go around the room and introduce ourselves and explain why we were interested in joining that class. I know they did the same thing for their intercessory prayer class, so they may do it for the understanding scripture class tomorrow.

I have never been good at doing that, especially if I don't know ahead of time. So I need some suggestions on what I could say if we do have to introduce ourselves and explain why we are interested in joining the class. I figured some of you may be able to help me out a bit since you may be familiar with me from my previous threads. I guess I would say something like I have such a desire dig deeper into the Word and grow closer to the Lord. But I don't think that sounds very good.

All I really said in the evangelism class was that I have learned more in the time that I've been at this church since I have the entire two years I've been back in church and I just want to take what I've learned and share it with others. Well that may not have been exactly what I said, but it was something like that.

Originally posted by *Living~By~Faith* View Post
    I guess I would say something like I have such a desire dig deeper into the Word and grow closer to the Lord. But I don't think that sounds very good.
    It sounds fine. You're worrying too much. Relax.
    ----------------------------------------------
    When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
      It sounds fine. You're worrying too much. Relax.
      Your introduction for the evangelism class sounded fine too. God already knows your heart. He knows why you're there. He's kind of the important one. Don't stress about the others! Just speak from the heart. No need for long, flowery answers.
      "I just like to smile! Smiling's my favorite!" - Buddy the Elf

My Blog

Pray for Mieke and Charles

Comment

Every speech should be modeled from Dwight Schrute's "salesman of the year award" speech from The Office. Always. Just substitute the word salesman for something more applicable

Dwight's Speech: BLOOD ALONE MOVES THE WHEELS OF HISTORY! [pause] Have you ever asked yourselves in an hour of meditation - which everyone finds during the day - how long we have been striving for greatness? [bangs fist] Not only the years we've been at war – the war of work – but from the moment as a child, when we realize the world could be conquered. It has been a lifetime struggle [bangs fists again] a never-ending fight, I say to you [bangs again] and you will understand that it is a privilege to fight. WE ARE WARRIORS! [applause] Salesmen of north-eastern Pennsylvania, I ask you once more rise and be worthy of this historical hour. [even bigger applause as Dwight gives a horrible sounding laugh] No revolution is worth anything unless it can defend itself. Some people will tell you salesman is a bad word. They’ll conjure up images of used car dealers, and door to door charlatans. This is our duty to change their perception. I say, salesman – and women – of the world... unite! We must never acquiesce, for it is together... TOGETHER THAT WE PREVAIL. WE MUST NEVER CEDE CONTROL OF THE MOTHERLAND...
        Audience: ...FOR IT IS TOGETHER THAT WE PREVAIL!
        [thundrous applause]

Comment

No one will want you to give a speach, just to briefly give your reason for joining - and what you said, as the others have said, it absolutely fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Orendorf View Post
            Every speech should be modeled from Dwight Schrute's "salesman of the year award" speech from The Office. Always. Just substitute the word salesman for something more applicable

Dwight's Speech: BLOOD ALONE MOVES THE WHEELS OF HISTORY! [pause] Have you ever asked yourselves in an hour of meditation - which everyone finds during the day - how long we have been striving for greatness? [bangs fist] Not only the years we've been at war – the war of work – but from the moment as a child, when we realize the world could be conquered. It has been a lifetime struggle [bangs fists again] a never-ending fight, I say to you [bangs again] and you will understand that it is a privilege to fight. WE ARE WARRIORS! [applause] Salesmen of north-eastern Pennsylvania, I ask you once more rise and be worthy of this historical hour. [even bigger applause as Dwight gives a horrible sounding laugh] No revolution is worth anything unless it can defend itself. Some people will tell you salesman is a bad word. They’ll conjure up images of used car dealers, and door to door charlatans. This is our duty to change their perception. I say, salesman – and women – of the world... unite! We must never acquiesce, for it is together... TOGETHER THAT WE PREVAIL. WE MUST NEVER CEDE CONTROL OF THE MOTHERLAND...
            Audience: ...FOR IT IS TOGETHER THAT WE PREVAIL!
            [thundrous applause]
            It'd be worth it to be a fly on the wall in *Living~By~Faith*'s church when she made this speech.....

Comment

Thanks everyone. I just wasn't sure if what I said would sound very good. Most people in the evangelism class shared some type of story as to why they have a desire to evangelize, but I just kept mine brief.

I'm really not a public speaker and don't like talking in groups. But that is something that I'm going to be working on over the next three months in these classes because they are going to be interactive. Which will be good for me. I'm looking forward to learning from others and hope to be able to contribute some that others can learn from me.

Comment

So how did it go over when you borrowed Dwight's Salesman of the Year speech from "The Office"?

Comment

Trust in the Lord, Livingbyfaith....HE will give you the right words...Pray about it...What you said sounded fine to me!!!! You don't have to be a "menpleaser," remember, just try your best to please the LORD!!!
                  John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in HIM should not perish, but have eternal life.

My testimony: http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137007

Comment

I guess it went pretty well. I said something like I have learned more in the time that I've been at this church since I have the entire two years I've been back in church and I would like to dig deeper into the Word to learn more and grow closer to the Lord. I'm just going to have to learn to get over my shyness so I can participate in these class discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by *Living~By~Faith* View Post
                      I'm just going to have to learn to get over my shyness so I can participate in these class discussions.
                      I think that's a good idea. Just don't worry so much about what they'll think of you! Sometimes we're so afraid of what people will think of us that we just say what we think they want to hear. When that happens, we lose our identities and that's the last thing the Lord wants for you. He made you, YOU. He didn't make you to be like everybody else. Show them who Christ made you to be!
                      "I just like to smile! Smiling's my favorite!" - Buddy the Elf

My Blog

Pray for Mieke and Charles

Comment

Working...
                      X